Home

MLB 12 The Show - Heads Up on Pitch Speeds

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show - Heads Up on Pitch Speeds within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Heads up on Pitch Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts238shaun
In RTTS, MLB 11, it was difficult to steal even WITH the pitch slider @ 0, but it was easier.
Co-signed; it hurts you can't START out with a guy with say 85 speed, but lower hitting attributes as a counter-balance. You basically have to go on first move, which results in a LOT of pickoffs.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #18
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: MLB 12 The Show - Heads Up on Pitch Speeds

Glad to see this! I fired up '11 last night and played a few games, and even with the pitch speed at 0, I'm pretty much late on fastballs...even when I'm sitting on them. Older eyes with older reaction times I'm sure. Not too mention I was too lazy to hook it up to my LCD monitor and instead played on my laggy TV.

I'd like to see more of this across all the sliders, along with more minute adjustments as well.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #19
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Glad to see this! I fired up '11 last night and played a few games, and even with the pitch speed at 0, I'm pretty much late on fastballs...even when I'm sitting on them. Older eyes with older reaction times I'm sure. Not too mention I was too lazy to hook it up to my LCD monitor and instead played on my laggy TV.
Sad to say, Bahnzo, that this game just isn't for you.

........ but 12 will be!
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #20
Rookie

Boboooom's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy_SCEA

Just wanted to let you guys know that we are expanding the Pitch speed slider more so that each notch will mean more than it currently does. (Like many of you asked for in another thread) Although ideally we would like to make this more extreme, there is a balance point that we need to be careful with. If we allow the speeds to be too slow or too fast, we jeopardize the balance of the game by making stealing too easy or too difficult. But we were able to open this up more than last year's version without effective the competitive balance of stealing. Hope this helps!

I think as it is right now the slow is slow enough and if you cant hit then its not the speed it's that you can't hit. I actually want faster more realistic speeds and I hope MLB 12 has them. To balance the stealing issue wouldn't the runners run faster when you choose to have faster pitching?

Last edited by Boboooom; 01-20-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #21
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boboooom
I think as it is right now the slow is slow enough and if you cant hit then its not the speed it's that you can't hit.
That's not true at all and don't ruin these threads with nonsense comments like this.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
Banned

khronikos's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
That's not true at all and don't ruin these threads with nonsense comments like this.
To a point this is true. You can slow the game down so much that everybody including my 4 year old nephew could hit but then it would not be baseball. If you cannot catch up with a ball in 12 on the slowest speed it is pretty safe to say imo that this game is not for you and neither is hitting a baseball. Does that mean you should not be able to play it? I cannot answer that as I don't balance the game.

Short answer no you deserve to be able to play it but if you have not tuned your sliders you are on shaky ground asking for something to be slower so we all then have to retune and rebalance the game because you cannot hit properly. At some point the game will become an arcade game with no talent required.

You have to max your hitting sliders as well and put all their pitching sliders down. Readjust the batting view. I have a VERY hard time understanding how people cannot hit with all of these things in place. Can some of the people respond as to what they do with their sliders in this game?

Slowing the game down is only a good thing for this franchise if the faster pitch speeds are balanced for us as well. If they are balanced then everything is fine. But the default stats in this game have been pretty bad in this game and I would not want faster or slower pitch speeds making this even worse. As long as it is balanced then fine add all you want.

It looks like they solved this anyway as fast pitch speed is equal to a 90mph fastball or a bit more maybe and that should do fine for those of us that want a realistic experience.

You see though, slowing this down to where you are playing rookie and using the slowest speed you must be getting something in the low 70s. This is already slower than some high school guys pitch. If you cannot hit this how low should we go before we enter the 60s or the 50s? That is a serious question btw.

It's not baseball at that point in my opinion. Add in all the sliders you can use and you should be able to find something that you can hit with in this game for 12. There are so many options that I just cannot believe people are doing this right. Complaining about changing it to be even slower is not the thing to do until you have tested everything.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #23
MVP

dodgerblue's Arena

OVR: 19

How ridiculous, what does it matter to you if a guy wants to slow down the pitch speed? You play it the way you want, and he plays it the way he wants and everyone is happy, no?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #24
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblue
How ridiculous, what does it matter to you if a guy wants to slow down the pitch speed? You play it the way you want, and he plays it the way he wants and everyone is happy, no?
Exactly. I don't understand how expanding the sliders so some of us can slow it down a little more would impact anyone else that wouldn't do this. They can keep the default stuff exactly the same, just give me the tools to fine-tune the game for me. If you don't want to slow it down then don't. It won't affect the game at all for you.

It's a very simple concept and if some of you can't respect the fact that other people have different skill sets then you need to learn how to respect other peoples' opinions and not just your own.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »