Home

UFC Undisputed 3 Video - Gameplay Q&A #11: Core Combat

This is a discussion on UFC Undisputed 3 Video - Gameplay Q&A #11: Core Combat within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: UFC Undisputed 3 Q&A #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I've seen it Phobia. In the alpha, you will gas out if you do nothing but throw punches non stop. Sim mode takes some strategy.
What about the eating clean shots? Is there a fear of being KO? Because the biggest issue with 2010 and 09 after patch was that it felt like everyone had a "life bar" and you had to wear away at that bar before they would be KO.

The fear of a KO coming at any moment if your hands are down should be a huge part of the game.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: UFC Undisputed 3 Q&A #11

Quote:
Most people online don't want realism. They want punch outs and slugfests. The people who want a true representation of the sport are the minority online.
I'm not so sure... you get KO 100% of the time, it loses it's luster and is no big deal. IN 2009 it was out of the box balanced imo. When I fought top guys online we would mostly go to a decision or get a well deserved KO/sub. If I buy UFC3, throw it on simulation setting and it's doesn't playout fights better than 09 I will get rid of it.

It's ironic and annoying to me that some games like this were very inspired and had so much effort go in and played so well (again imo) and that were products of "next generation" where things like hud's went away, and visual que's were king (the camera during sub's etc) and now we're back to messy hud's and "oh the masses want bomb-fests" attitudes. The game becomes worse and awkward - I have no way of proving this, but I'm willing to bet if the game was released in an identical alternate universe but followed a different path of pushing in the same direction of the inspiration from the first and went more for subtleties, bigger on details, and less concern for the 'masses' and concern about people instantly knowing what to do - accessibility and so on - THAT game would outsell this one!

Look at Bethesda and Skyrim. "we make the games that we really want to make, and games we really want to play" When the focus is making the best game possible, you end up with the best games.

I'm holding out hope on UFC3, but 2010 from a gameplay and balance perspective was much worse that 2009 - the default setting in 3 coupled with the submission "cat and mouse mini-game" doesn't make me feel good about it.

edit - the randomness in 09 is still largely untouched in sports games imo - the knockdowns were great.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: UFC Undisputed 3 Video - Gameplay Q&A #11: Core Combat

I've played the game so I'm confident that most people here will be satisfied with sim mode. Will there be things people can do to cheese? Yeah, there are always ways to cheat and cheese. But I think most people here will be happy.

Their current approach is the best way to handle it. Make the game accessible to the masses (slugfest on default and easy control scheme) and give hardcore fans the option to make the game realistic (sim mode and hopefully one day sliders)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #12

OVR: 34

Quote:
I've played the game so I'm confident that most people here will be satisfied with sim mode. Will there be things people can do to cheese? Yeah, there are always ways to cheat and cheese. But I think most people here will be happy.

Their current approach is the best way to handle it. Make the game accessible to the masses (slugfest on default and easy control scheme) and give hardcore fans the option to make the game realistic (sim mode and hopefully one day sliders)
Especially with online play, you have to make a decision that to pop in the game and do a quick match should be done just to have fun with it and move on. Sometimes we think the game needs to be perfect so no one can abuse it, but there will be hundreds that play this game all day long and do so funky stuff. This is an absolute in online gaming.

The best thing to do is play people you rely on and trust to respect what you are trying to achieve.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

If I can win using real fighting strategy and combinations etc. I'll be happy. I could not do this in '10 so to me it became a street fighter thing where you have to learn what works in the game more than the sport 'fierce attack, quick low attack' lol

As I said though one of the biggest great aspects of '09 was the randomness of flash KO's and knockdowns, and tko's - so I hope in simulation mode that's still in. And while I understand the desire of some online people to have 'competition' mode where there is none of that - to me that kills the beauty of the game and eliminates randomness, making it closer to street fighter.

My question to those folks is, why? If you fight 200 times online, you're going to lose, why get pissed off that some of those you were winning the fight and got caught with a flush shot and randomly got KO'd. To me that's a HUGE plus! Sometimes the better guy loses, not everything has to be completely 'fair' all the time. It's more like what you see on tv...I remember winning a bunch of fights and getting rocked randomly forcing me to make adjustments and even go for a takedown or whatever just to whether the storm. Or losing and winning by a head kick KO after going to the body so much that my opponent focused on blocking his body too much.

Anyway, I miss that stuff - I don't want to play 'who can drain the health meter first' - that sucks and there's a bunch of other games that do that out there.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Flash KOs were random. They need to remove the randomness of it. Its fine if you get hit in an area that could cause a KO with enough force. If the physics of the punch are there, then it should be a KO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »