Home

UFC Undisputed 3 Career Mode Trailer

This is a discussion on UFC Undisputed 3 Career Mode Trailer within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: UFC Undisputed 3 Career Mode Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMimic
The video clearly shows an upgrade over the past two games, getting to play as a established UFC fighter in a real career mode is awesome. It's something I've always wanted and now we get that. Other then that we don't have many new details to really go off of. It's almost like combining a road to wrestlemania mode with the greatest moments mode of ufc games past. You're Rampage and you beat Chuck in the pride tournament and now you're up against Wanderlei and you have to change history and beat him. Now how many guys they'll have this for is anyone's guess I'm sure we will know more soon but I'm excited.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
You think that actually happens?

My impression was they were telling Rampage's story and just making those match-ups..

Not per-determined paths..

That's what I mean by it shows us nothing, it showed us a new training games and then just gave us Rampage's story and played some matches that he did..
Old 01-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono078
You think that actually happens?

My impression was they were telling Rampage's story and just making those match-ups..

Not per-determined paths..

That's what I mean by it shows us nothing, it showed us a new training games and then just gave us Rampage's story and played some matches that he did..
That's what I was hoping for but alas I'm wrong. I just found this while browsing the web.

Quote:
Another key focus for "UFC3" was in building up the career mode. Dravinski said the key was to keep the action moving and the fights coming. This year's emphasis on Career Mode is the fights and getting players back into the action more quickly. Less management of stats are needed with a new automated point allocation system and the removal of Stat Decay. Also, with less time for training in between fights and more ways to train, the variety of the player's training routine becomes imperative if he wants to be an all-around fighter.

Speaking of training, THQ has added 14 training minigames, including tires, and new sparring drills like "stick and move" to "UFC3." These activities, which occur between fights, allow players to practice isolated sections of gameplay and get better at playing the game.

The create-a-fighter option, which has always been a strong point of THQ's fighting games, as well as its WWE wrestling games, has also been expanded. There are screens upon screens of minute details, allowing those who want to spend the time to create any type of fighter than can imagine. When starting a career, players will be asked to choose their fighter's background, which provides different starting stats and move sets. Additionally, fighters start out with much higher stats than previous iterations, allowing them to build well-rounded and complete fighters like never before.

Another important aspect of the UFC career is training camps and the camaraderie that develops amongst fighters. Dravinski said players can travel to and train at six different real world camps, including Greg Jackson's, American Top Team and Wolfslair MMA Academy. They will also have the opportunity to join and represent a real world camp during their career, at which point the camp's trainer will become the player's trainer and corner him during his fights.

This year, players will compete in three organizations: World Fighting Alliance (WFA), UFC and PRIDE Tournaments. Players start in the WFA and must capture and defend the WFA title before moving to the UFC. From there, they can compete in and win PRIDE tournament championships, as well as the coveted UFC Championship.

Greg Jackson, who is one of the top UFC trainers and has worked with THQ on both "UFC: Ultimate Trainer" and now "UFC 3," loves the fact that the now-defunct PRIDE Tournaments have made their way into the new game. The Japanese spectacles featured crowds of more than 60,000 spectators and included pyrotechnics and multifight challenges in which one fighter would take on multiple opponents during the course of one evening. But PRIDE is perhaps best known for its lack of rules and "anything goes" fighting style.

"PRIDE rules have a huge bearing on the way we planned for fights," said Jackson. "The more tools you have, the happier I am. For me, it's much better to not have rules. I like to have more tools in my toolbox. Certain positions become untenable very quickly without the UFC regulations."

As players play through a career, they will have more opportunities to switch weight classes. They will compete in single one-off fights in a new division, switch after cleaning out a division, or, if they're struggling in one division, switch divisions to try and turn things around.

In keeping with its educational tenant, "UFC Undisputed 3" offers real-life fight footage, backstage footage and exclusive interviews with some of today's top UFC fighters throughout the career mode. Dravinski said the videos players will encounter during their careers mirror what real world fighters go through during their careers. For example, when a player has his first professional fight, he will hear fighters talk about what their first professional fight was like. Get a title shot, and the player will hear what was going through the minds of several fighters as they went into their title fights. With several variants of these types of videos, players will be able to unlock additional videos on multiple career playthroughs.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

It sounds like it was improved somewhat, so I'm sure I'll play through it at least once. To me the Career Mode is similar to a "My Player" mode in other sports games. What I wish they would add is something like a "Promoter Mode". Which would be similar to an Association/Dynasty mode or the WWE Universe even. I would like to set up fight-cards for all fighters in all weight classes and play as many as I want to play. Also, the game should keep up with records, win streaks, rankings, etc.

Of course, I do this now on my own with spreadsheets, but I would much rather the game do it for me so that I can play the game instead of keeping up with spreadsheets all the time.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18
is it just me or is this UFC Undisputed 2010 but now you have 2 fights in one night which really is no different to the gamer.

My issue with career modes in boxing/fighting games are that they are unoriginal and repetitive. In other sports games there is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes that allows you to manage things behind the scenes. In UFC there is no managing, its you train you fight repeat boring. Unlike at least in WWE where there is stories and such.
Being a professional fighter is a very intense thing, driving around to different camps each day to specialize, or maybe you also run a gym you have to coach at. You fly all over the world to hit different camps to train for your fights. If any of you have ever wrestled, cutting weight at a high level is likely one of the lowest points you will feel in your life for those hours or in some cases days.

But.... this translates HORRIBLY to the console, and the additions that made this game a 2 year cycle seem minimal on a one year cycle.

They need to add something, maybe like WWE Universe where you manage the UFC, yet can still have a career going. Or manage a competitor where you need to sign fighters to stay with you and compete against the UFC. I know it has been said I don't know if it would help much, but have TUF show rights and make you go through that route.
Maybe have the option of being a fighter who runs a gym like Matt Sera. Maybe you fight and have other guys on your team fighting trying to make it in the UFC and your talent rubs off on them and your goal is to become the top gym.

I don't know what they need to do, but adding Pride Grand Prix seems like crap. Adding it to the game is great but making that the fundamental part of your career mode is crap.
Awesome post and I couldn't agree more.
If you go to the boxing forum, you'll see that I, and many others, have been complaining about the same thing for years.
I think it says a lot, and is quite depressing, when Evander Holyfield boxing for the Genesis has as deep a career mode as anything we see today.

Like you said, a fight is won or lost in the gym. Combat sports such as MMA or boxing have never been given the true love needed for the pre-fight preparations.
Only Victorious Boxers 2 (Japanese version) has given any credence to this process.
And really, I believe the only reason for this is the lack of imagination by some developers.

Instead of forcing me to hit a speed bag x-amount of times and then dispersing attribute points, why not let me schedule my entire training?
Give me the option to manage my diet, weight training sessions, sparring...?
If the average person doesn't want this level of detail, then have a button to skip it, or give them the old method to work with.
But I would absolutely adore a fighting game that allowed me to manage a gym and have to work at getting my stable of fighters prepared.
Have a fighter that is weak at wrestling, bring in a coach, or schedule sparring sessions with a great wrestler.
Maybe you have a fighter that hates to weight train, so you have to find alternative methods to building up his muscle mass.
Add personalities to the mix too. What if you have a fighter that lives in the gym and will hurt himself because he went too hard? You have to force them out.
Just like you have to force a party-animal to put down the beer and get to the dojo.

There are dozens of possibilities.
I love the Career modes in all sports games. From Road to the Show, to My Player, these are the modes I play most.
And to me, boxing and MMA are the perfect vehicles to push these kinds of modes. They were made for each other.
Instead, I get the same old points-grind that has been going on for decades.
It would be nice to have a combat game where my wins and losses were built more on my 8-week training camp than my skill on the controller.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #13
#OwnTheFuture

Benz87's Arena

OVR: 8

ehhh was hoping for a little bit more. From the looks of it they just added a couple fights in Pride(unrealistic), a couple fights in a "minor" league, and then you go to UFC. Also threw in a few new training mini-games.

Was really hoping for an overhaul or possibly some sort of story like FNC. I guess we won't really know until Feb 14th, atleast theyre not setting me up for a let down by hyping into something it's not.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #14
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

I didn't know if this was thread worthy or exactly where to put it, but here's some impressions of career mode. It's a few weeks old, not that I think that it matters.

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?opti...:organizations

Spoiler

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »