Home

MLB 2K12 Impressions (Kotaku)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K12 Impressions (Kotaku) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #25
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: MLB 2K12 Impressions (Kotaku)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue
I'm probably in the minority when I say this. But all 2k has to do for me to buy the game in March is bring back check swings, add cancel throw feature, and make player movement more fluid. My buds and enjoy mlb2k11 so much we still play it online, unranked w custom sliders. Don't ruin this game, 2k!

BigBlue
My list:

- Add pressure-sensitive check swings
- Add option to hide pitching cursor
- Allow more customizable batting camera control
--- Do they have an option to have the fielding camera when batting, and not the one that they give us?
- Option for one-button zone hitting

The last one is key, and I need to be a little more expansive on the concept: in this game, although the classic swinging option only has you use X, the game decides which kind of swing it wants to use for you (contact, power, defensive). It isn't just mapped as one swing type. Now, I wouldn't mind if they had power, contact, and defensive swings all mapped to separate buttons, because that way I would just use one swing type, and adjust my sliders as such (like how I do with The Show, and it works out fine). The other big thing is the zone hitting. I want to use my skills in attempting to make contact with the ball, not just direct where I want it to go.

Those 4+ things would keep me coming back year after year. Until then, every year it just becomes a "wait and see."
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #26
Banned

JustOpinions's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: New, very in-depth preview from Kotaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLamm16;2043290063[COLOR=royalblue
]The graphics look nicer judging from whats been released already,[/color] but it could be the new lighting or something. They also said they revamped some of the fielding and it's supposively had a more realistic touch put into it. I'm sort of hoping if they go out, they go out with a bang, not a product that they put little effort into.
????????? haha I needed a laugh today...
Old 01-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 28
The visuals dont look that much different than last years game. The navy looks to light on the Tigers uniforms and the stripe on the pants is too thick.

Not to harp on little things but MLB2K has been a disappointment. I, for one, hope the third party exclusivity ends. Not so 2K will stop making games but so that other third party developers can partake. I am ready for the return of MVP.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 0

just from that little gameplay thats been seen i like it
Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #29
Banned

BLAKExx1129xx's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblue
Very honest sounding review. The reviewer sounds very cautious and makes some statements that don't give me a lot of optimism about any graphical improvements.

I really was hoping that 2K would put it together, but it sounds like they didn't have the desire or resources to make it happen.
If all you care about is graphics, keep walking.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

This article was very bitter-sweet for me.
I loved how honest it was (by both the reviewer and 2K producer), and I loved hearing how they're trying to fix all the little things to give us a solid baseball game.
But it certainly did sound like this is Take-Two's swan song with baseball.
I'm sure everyone working on the game is anticipating 2K13, but who knows what the Suits in HQ are thinking.

I'm very excited for 2k12 though. I love the gesture-pitching.
If they can fix the lack of throwing errors, I'll be happy.

But I'm dying to know more about the My Player mode. I love that feature in NBA2K12.
I hope it's as deep for MLB.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I think the game sounds good thus far. I know they've had missteps along the way, but in general, I have a good time playing the 2k baseball games. I feel like the graphics are a big reason why the series gets trashed (especially in comparison to the other game), but to my eye, I don't think the graphics are all that bad. Not flashy, a bit flat, but I wouldn't say they're "ugly". Everyone has their own opinion, I guess.

The bottom line is that baseball essentially boils down to a series of 1-on-1 duels between pitcher and hitter, and in my opinion, MLB2k has done that very well the past 2 years. There are some bugs and some quirks which certainly are ripe for criticism, but in general, I think the game is a pretty fun and realistic representation of the game. At any rate, I guess we'll get to see if they've finally been able to put it together (sans top-flight graphics) this year. I am certainly more excited about this game than I realized after reading the initial previews...
This post sums up my feelings so well. I am really really pulling for 2K12 this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #32
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
But it certainly did sound like this is Take-Two's swan song with baseball.
There is absolutely nothing in that article, other than the author's moanful, pining speculation, to indicate that 2K has any plans to kill this series after this year. Me personally, I think there's a good chance this game goes the way of their NHL series. But if anyone at OS wrote a similar article and similarly emoted about this being the last year for MLB 2K, they'd be laughed at, cussed at, and raked over the coals by many of the members here, and rightly so.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »