Home

After 3 Month Layoff, NBA 2K11 Cracks Top 20 Most Played on 360 - Week of Jan. 16

This is a discussion on After 3 Month Layoff, NBA 2K11 Cracks Top 20 Most Played on 360 - Week of Jan. 16 within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
After 3 Month Layoff, NBA 2K11 Cracks Top 20 Most Played on 360 - Week of Jan. 16

It seems there are still plenty of gamers out there, playing NBA 2K11, according to a recent article from Kotaku's Owen Good.

Quote:
At first blush it doesn't seem to stand out: NBA 2K11 cracked the top 20 of most played titles on the Xbox 360 for the week of Jan. 16. But when you peel it back, that's actually quite astonishing, to see an old version of a sports video game resurface more than 15 months after its release.

This is not unprecedented. EA Sports' FIFA series routinely places its two most current editions in the Xbox Live top 20, especially around the time the new version is releasing. (FIFA 11 and FIFA 12 were top 20 from 12's Sept. 27 release to the end of the year.) FIFA's global popularity certainly explains its longevity here. Madden, EA Sports' long-running powerhouse, also does a double-dip in its release window, though it drops off more quickly.

But a look back suggests that when the old version leaves the top 20, it usually doesn't come back. Certainly not after a three-month layoff.

Source - A Puzzling Resurgence in Popularity for NBA 2K11 (Kotaku)
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 22
Re: A Puzzling Resurgence in Popularity for NBA 2K11

I could use me some 2k11. The gameplay was so fluid.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Compared to NBA 2K12, NBA 2K11 was the truth of video game basketball.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

If 2K11 is so much better (I think it's slightly better), why did it ever drop off in popularity? Did people just sell 2K11 because they believe sequels are ALWAYS better?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdg0219
If 2K11 is so much better (I think it's slightly better), why did it ever drop off in popularity? Did people just sell 2K11 because they believe sequels are ALWAYS better?
"puts hands up".

I foolishly traded in 2k11 for 2k12.

I regret it, as I cant bring myself to play 2k12 anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdg0219
Blind devotion, perhaps? Isn't that the standard procedure for sports games? Sell the old to get the new, or am I the minority? I'm not going to lie. I know that I bought back NBA 2K11 after playing NBA 2K12. That was the first time that I EVER bought the previous year's version.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Because of the Jordan Challenge alone I held on to 2k11. Very cool and unique. I always trade in the previous 2k for the next but this is the 1st time I did not.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
Rookie

mustardnmayo's Arena

OVR: 6

People on my PSN list that own 2k12, I see playing 2k11 more as of late.

Im glad I still own 2k11, I play it from time to time and enjoy it so much more on the court, but since 2k12 association mode has some improvements to some things I didnt like in 2k11 I cant go back and I already went very deep in that game.

Im just trying to look past the gameplay issues I have with with 2k12(no paint defense, PGs busting amazing post moves after they pick up their dribble to score in the paint over big guys cuz they are slid out the way, CPU having better success shooting buzzer beaters with hands in their face than regular shots, horrible fast breaks, being my main ones) and enjoy it the best I could.

This is the least fun Ive had with a NBA 2K release since Ive been buying it annually and probably wont be playing it until the next release for the 1st time ever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »