Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Legacy Challenge Details Revealed

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Legacy Challenge Details Revealed within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Legacy Challenge Details Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingguru
I would like to see their research on this. When I think core buyer... I think of someone like myself.
I think it's been discussed here in the past, that the typical OS gamer is in vast minority when it comes to what gamers are wanting and looking for. My understanding is something like 90% of the people who play these games have an attention span of about 25 minutes at a time. Then they switch it off and move on to something else. EA designs all their games to accomodate that crowd from what I see.

Last edited by peigone; 02-08-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingguru
My point is that the marketing of games from EA in general seems counter intuitive. Only hardcore fans pay attention 6 months before release.
That makes sense. But who knows what goes on in the minds of these devs and marketing people. Also, with EA we've seen that all the online dev blogs and discussions and such, mean little to nothing at all. It's all overhype and false promises every year. Difficult to fathom the true nature of it, and what the whole annual exercise is all about other than to push the product. Regardless, when communication isn't actually based on being entirely honest and upfront about things, it never really matters what's said anyway, does it?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
That makes sense. But who knows what goes on in the minds of these devs and marketing people. Also, with EA we've seen that all the online dev blogs and discussions and such, mean little to nothing at all. It's all overhype and false promises every year. Difficult to fathom the true nature of it, and what the whole annual exercise is all about other than to push the product. Regardless, when communication isn't actually based on being entirely honest and upfront about things, it never really matters what's said anyway, does it?
What false promises? What are they not being honest and upfront about? No, seriously...because if they have, please point it out to us because I have seen nothing of the sort.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
What false promises? What are they not being honest and upfront about? No, seriously...because if they have, please point it out to us because I have seen nothing of the sort.
Let's see, how about the...

1.Move implementation, totally half assed effort and inexcusable since the Wii motion+ is much more manageable so it's just complete laziness that they decided to make it virtually unplayable but that was last year so this year will be the Kinect's turn to be done half assed.

2. Year after year they state they are looking into allowing DLC into career mode (while charging an outlandish fee most years) and the one year that they finally do it (and brag about finally doing something that should have been done years before) after several years of complaining they again do it half assed where we are not allowed to customize any tourney we want so you see most DLC courses once very 5 years at the game's choosing.

3. This total shot control looks to be a complete farce. I don't even need to play it to know that. Just from the videos it's painfully obvious that the buttons have simply been remapped and a graphic of the swing plane with a pair of feet added. And all these degrees of draws and fades, backspins and choked clubs (which you could do last year) is controlled by an aiming marker (just like last year). The only difference is they upped the tempo on your swing (we'll see because tempo was a part of last year's swing as well) and add a description of it post shot. Whoopee. You want total shot control? Then get rid of the damn aiming marker. Let the user decide how much draw\fade etc... to use and not see the exact end result with an aiming marker beforehand. They simply rearrange the interface and brag about a new groundbreaking innovation. That's a pretty good example of false promises.

The one innovation that I loved was the TW 11 true aim. Then they get rid of it because it was too sim like and made you think too much. So leave it in there for those who want it. They already have the code for it. I've never heard an instance in a sports game where they introduce a feature that the sim guys love and they totally turf it without even leaving it as an option which isn't hurting anybody. It's bizarre how these devs think.

But the devs say that their internal polling showed that most didn't like it. Well if you ask a bunch of 12 years olds, who hate math and don't want to think about anything except big breasts, then yeah you'll get a negative answer. And then you'll get those same kiddies saying they wanna play as Tiger before he hit puberty and voila the devs throw all thier money and resources into having you play as a 6 year old creepy looking mini Tiger hitting out of a sandbox. It's like EA putting a mode in Madden where all the players play in a superhero costume because thier internal polling showed that a segment of the fanbase wanted it (ie the 12 year olds)

Last edited by Seymour Scagnetti; 02-09-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
I was talking about all of EA's sports games. Every year they hype this and blog about that, and every year they release more or less the same stale and unchanged game geared towards the arcade button-mashing online crowds. With the exception of FIFA 12 and updating my TW PC collection, I haven't bought an EA game in four years. There's no point, there's so little about their games that ever changes. In fact the biggest changes to their games the past few years have had to do with adding less and less to game itself, while offering and charging more and more for online components and DLC. It's clear their corporate game development vision has little to do with actually improving these games and making them the best they can possibly be. Rather, the goal seems to be to add enough cost-effective tweaks and minor changes each year to keep consumers believing they're buying something new, different and better.

Last edited by peigone; 02-09-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
Let's see, how about the...

1.Move implementation, totally half assed effort and inexcusable since the Wii motion+ is much more manageable so it's just complete laziness that they decided to make it virtually unplayable but that was last year so this year will be the Kinect's turn to be done half assed.

2. Year after year they state they are looking into allowing DLC into career mode (while charging an outlandish fee most years) and the one year that they finally do it (and brag about finally doing something that should have been done years before) after several years of complaining they again do it half assed where we are not allowed to customize any tourney we want so you see most DLC courses once very 5 years at the game's choosing.

3. This total shot control looks to be a complete farce. I don't even need to play it to know that. Just from the videos it's painfully obvious that the buttons have simply been remapped and a graphic of the swing plane with a pair of feet added. And all these degrees of draws and fades, backspins and choked clubs (which you could do last year) is controlled by an aiming marker (just like last year). The only difference is they upped the tempo on your swing (we'll see because tempo was a part of last year's swing as well) and add a description of it post shot. Whoopee. You want total shot control? Then get rid of the damn aiming marker. Let the user decide how much draw\fade etc... to use and not see the exact end result with an aiming marker beforehand. They simply rearrange the interface and brag about a new groundbreaking innovation. That's a pretty good example of false promises.

The one innovation that I loved was the TW 11 true aim. Then they get rid of it because it was too sim like and made you think too much. So leave it in there for those who want it. They already have the code for it. I've never heard an instance in a sports game where they introduce a feature that the sim guys love and they totally turf it without even leaving it as an option which isn't hurting anybody. It's bizarre how these devs think.

But the devs say that their internal polling showed that most didn't like it. Well if you ask a bunch of 12 years olds, who hate math and don't want to think about anything except big breasts, then yeah you'll get a negative answer. And then you'll get those same kiddies saying they wanna play as Tiger before he hit puberty and voila the devs throw all thier money and resources into having you play as a 6 year old creepy looking mini Tiger hitting out of a sandbox. It's like EA putting a mode in Madden where all the players play in a superhero costume because thier internal polling showed that a segment of the fanbase wanted it (ie the 12 year olds)
Ignorant posts like this is one of the main reasons I largely ignore this forum. Hats off to Divot and Onlooker for continuing to wade through this muck.

Polling? They look at how users play the game. They get stats on what mode people play (online and offline). The numbers don't lie. In TW11, less than 1% of users played True-Aim mode (online or offline). The reason it was scaled back was because if you recall it wasn't available for p2p play because doing such caused camera sync issues. It was very complicated and far above your intelligence to even attempt to explain.

As with the other stuff, rather than just line by line provide insight, I'll just say each is completely off-base. Users will draw conclusions after they've PLAYED the game rather than from the rants of someone who hasn't.

I must say that when it comes to game design, things are far more complicated than what users think. Motion controls for example are completely new and uncharted territory (Wii is NOT Move or Kinect) so EA is basically designing the wheel with no past history to go on. Making a usable interface by compartimentalizing millions of unique user swings into a playable package is not something that can just be done with a snap of the fingers. I'll leave it that, ignore the coming attacks, and realize the more sensible visitors here will silently nod in agree rather than post something to be bullied over.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblong
I'll leave it that, ignore the coming attacks, and realize the more sensible visitors here will silently nod in agree rather than post something to be bullied over.
You start out by calling people ignorant, then wonder why attacks might be coming? That's Logic 101 mate.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2
Talking Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Legacy Challenge Details Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
You start out by calling people ignorant, then wonder why attacks might be coming? That's Logic 101 mate.
Where did I "wonder" if attacks were coming. I knew they were whether I called him ignorant or not. Call it a preemptive strike.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »