Home

MLB 2K12 Not Phoning It In, But Will We See MLB 2K13?

This is a discussion on MLB 2K12 Not Phoning It In, But Will We See MLB 2K13? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
MVP

dodgerblue's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: MLB 2K12 Not Phoning It In, But Will We See MLB 2K13?

I think whether 2k13 gets made will depend on how well 2k12 sells and how much competition there may be next year.

If the MLB license is open to more than one 3rd party game maker, then I would think 2k still will have a leg up on any of the competition in that they have been making baseball games on the next gen systems for several years. Even EA or another game co. would only be in the first year and likely be behind in production.

Also, if there is no exclusive license (not saying there won't be, but just in theory) 2k could continue to make a game and be more profitable in '13 and beyond because they won't have the licence as part of the costs of making the series.

So unless someone else steps up and buys exclusivity with MLB (EA possibly?) I can see the 2k series continuing.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #18
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

I don't think there will be a 2K13. I think that Take-Two would still be open to making another game, but the only way Take-Two makes an 2K13 is without an exclusive license and it seems the MLBPA doesn't want that.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0
One of the better reads I have seen from this site in some time. Sounds like this is the end to me, but on the other hand, if 2K has hurt the baseball market by having such a bad product to the point the MLB may not want to deal with them, I don't see why the same does not go for the football market and the owners of it. The general gaming public is saying they want something other than 2K baseball and something other than football games made by the people that make them.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by truintellectplaya
if 2K has hurt the baseball market by having such a bad product to the point the MLB may not want to deal with them, I don't see why the same does not go for the football market
The NFL is reportedly very happy with Madden, and it's expected they will gladly continue their exclu$ive partner$hip with EA for year$ to come.

Last edited by peigone; 02-13-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by truintellectplaya
if 2K has hurt the baseball market by having such a bad product to the point the MLB may not want to deal with them
BTW, the idea that 2K's baseball game has hurt MLB's image is nothing more than internet rumor-mongering and wishful thinking. MLB will re-up with anyone who is willing to pay whatever it is they're asking, that's the bottomline. As it is with any corporation.

Last edited by peigone; 02-13-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #22
Meow

DetroitStyle's Arena

OVR: 29
I think the scariest thing about this article and 2K's baseball future is a lack of post-release support. Just like the NHL series died off with a single, late-coming, patch that only went to the 360 and not PS3. I can see the same thing happening. Unless the game sells like hot cakes this year I think their mind is already made up. Which means once the game hits shelves the developers are going to pack it in and leave us hanging should a patch be desperately needed.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #23
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
The NFL is reportedly very happy with Madden, and it's expected they will gladly continue their exclu$ive partner$hip with EA for year$ to come.
I agree. I just can't see Roger Godell and Bob Kraft battling each other in Madden and saying, "Hey, the line interaction in this game isn't as good as it should be, lets explore what other developers out there might be able to do it better". I would guess MLB is the same...just looking for the highest bidder.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #24
Rookie

I personally dont care if this is the last in the installment. As long as it is a good game I can deal with 2K share roster updates for two years until the next gen systems come out..I could understand for the die hard baseball fans how this could be a killer for them. Each year I tell myself I am gonna buy a PS3 just for the show but I can never bring myself to do it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »