Home

MLB 2K12 Hands-On Preview (Joystiq)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K12 Hands-On Preview (Joystiq) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
MLB 2K12 Hands-On Preview (Joystiq)

Joystiq has posted their MLB 2K12 hands-on preview. Not really anything new, but it's something...

Quote:
Effort has also been made to make MLB 2K12 play more realistically. Not only have the game's physics been completely overhauled, but Detroit Tigers cover athlete Justin Verlander's influence in this year's product extends beyond his mug on the box art. According to 2K Sports, Verlander's pitching knowledge has caused some changes in what's possible when on the mound. For example, pitchers can no longer hang high curve balls and have them bite. In reality, it's impossible to throw a curve ball so high up and have it break dramatically. MLB 2K12 reflects this.

MLB 2K12's new physics model is reflected in the batter's box, too. For one, it's much more difficult to bunt now -- players have to initiate the stance then use the left analog stick to move the bat to the ball. So now it's much more difficult to bunt down the line, let alone make contact, which should put an end to mechanic abuse. It took me two innings before I even connected with a bunt and even then the ball limply fell at the pitcher's feet.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 2K12 Hands-On Preview (Joystiq)

not much whats been said like 100 times already
Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

All these previews are carbon copies of one another. Either there really is not much to talk about or 2K is really corralling the info to be released.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I agree about these previews all being very similar. What I also don't like is that each review from this guy to Jon Robinson at ESPN the Gamer always says, "I barely had time to play the game". I think Jon only got a few innings to play a game for a preview. That's nowhere near enough time to get a good feel for the gameplay. It feels like a movie where they don't release it early enough for critics to really get a hold of it.

I don't know how 2K thinks this is marketing well. Ronnie2K had tweeted that the marketing for MLB 2K12 was great. Really? Is this great? I hope they have a lot more in store for us.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I agree about these previews all being very similar. What I also don't like is that each review from this guy to Jon Robinson at ESPN the Gamer always says, "I barely had time to play the game". I think Jon only got a few innings to play a game for a preview. That's nowhere near enough time to get a good feel for the gameplay. It feels like a movie where they don't release it early enough for critics to really get a hold of it.

I don't know how 2K thinks this is marketing well. Ronnie2K had tweeted that the marketing for MLB 2K12 was great. Really? Is this great? I hope they have a lot more in store for us.
This might be why 2K's marketing stinks. Because they really believe they're doing a good job.
Look at the early previews of NBA2K12? All previews were the exact same. Now we're seeing it again with MLB2K12.
It's very disheartening to see how horrible they are compared to every other sports gaming developer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 1

2K's marketing might be awful, but it's not as bad as that horrible writeup. Worst game preview ever.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
2K's marketing might be awful, but it's not as bad as that horrible writeup. Worst game preview ever.
I'll have to disagree lol. The one thing that 2K does extremely well is commentary and most agree it's top notch. So what does 2K do? Release demos without commentary. It's just lazy and dumb marketing. Why not showcase your strengths? I'm pretty sure the 2K9 demo had commentary but I don't think they did the last two years.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I'll have to disagree lol. The one thing that 2K does extremely well is commentary and most agree it's top notch. So what does 2K do? Release demos without commentary. It's just lazy and dumb marketing. Why not showcase your strengths? I'm pretty sure the 2K9 demo had commentary but I don't think they did the last two years.
True. Still, at least you get something with their demo. That "preview" was several paragraphs of absolutely nothing whatsoever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »