Home

Three Attention Grabbers in MLB 12: The Show

This is a discussion on Three Attention Grabbers in MLB 12: The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Three Attention Grabbers in MLB 12: The Show

So far, I’ve spent a handful of hours with the newest edition of MLB: The Show. And, so far, my impressions will report that I’m, in fact, “impressed.” Most of the changes this year are sort of “under the hood,” but I think for the serious baseball fan, there’s a lot to like.

On the other hand, if you are a casual fan, you may miss what really makes this game stand out. Similar to NHL 12, there are a lot of aspects that look and feel the same as last year.

The Show’s approach has been gradual and effective refinement, as opposed to blowing things up for the sake of a bullet point on the back of the box. One could argue that these changes have come too slowly; others would say they are just hard to see.

Here are three aspects of MLB 12: The Show that have grabbed my attention thus far....

Read More - Three Attention Grabbers in MLB 12: The Show
Platform: PS3 / PS Vita
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 46
good stuff.

excited on where the presentation can go in future versions.

as far as commentary, personally i am digging eric karros.
soup? not so much.

what did this mean though?

Quote:
the “video” that plays under transitional screens looks surprisingly low-res compared to everything else in the game.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8
Please, Caley, tell us about the actual gameplay. Are pitchers tiring when they should? What are the pitch counts like? Does the opponent TAKE balls or let close ones go, or do they swing at anything that is precisely on or in the strike zone? What about substitution patterns? Is the opponent manager leaving his starter in 'til the guy is shelled or shot (fatigued, lol), or is the guy being yanked after the fifth inning in 2-0 game? What about manager-only mode? Does it exist, or has it been taken out? Last year the MOM was like watching paint dry, it was that boring. No life whatsoever. I feel these are legitimate concerns, other than that The Show has so much potential.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
Rookie

mikemck09's Arena

OVR: 1
Great write up dude... Agree tremendously... Commentary is going to be the next thing to be improved, I am just so happy that they nailed the physics down. That is a humongous step in the right direction for any sports game.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
Rookie

WVUnick's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx
Please, Caley, tell us about the actual gameplay. Are pitchers tiring when they should? What are the pitch counts like? Does the opponent TAKE balls or let close ones go, or do they swing at anything that is precisely on or in the strike zone? What about substitution patterns? Is the opponent manager leaving his starter in 'til the guy is shelled or shot (fatigued, lol), or is the guy being yanked after the fifth inning in 2-0 game? What about manager-only mode? Does it exist, or has it been taken out? Last year the MOM was like watching paint dry, it was that boring. No life whatsoever. I feel these are legitimate concerns, other than that The Show has so much potential.
From my brief game play: I had to pull my pitcher (Jonathan Sanchez) after about 85-90 pitches (6 IP). The opposing pitcher was pulled when the game got "close" (within 2 runs in the 9th) despite having plenty of energy left to keep going for the CG. The computer would take all types of pitches, sometimes freezing on a 3rd strike breaking ball that comes back to the middle of the plate. The new physics of the ball take some getting used to... it moves around like crazy.

I haven't tried MOM, so I can't help you there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
No doubt the ball physics and upgraded sound effects have stood out and truly changed the game. The polish on the visuals is also very evident. This game is peaking on this system and this is hands down the best console baseball game ever made. And i said that about 2009 and 2011. It just shows the commitment by this team to continually enhance and refine what is already a strong foundation.

Commentary is good. I can't wait to get into franchise mode with the OSFM roster and see and hear all the new franchise OSD's and commentary on the season, players etc. I am sure it is improved.

Also the ball spin and pitcher grips are standing out this year for me. I love it.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx
Caley will totally touch on that stuff. He's just getting started!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Three Attention Grabbers in MLB 12: The Show

Great write-up Caley. Especially the point about how a lot of the changes we have seen aren't "Boom! in your face!" type changes. Glad to see you mention how some presentation effects have an ESPN feel to them. And it can be noted that the overlays are pretty similar to what you see on the MLB Network too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
good stuff.

excited on where the presentation can go in future versions.

as far as commentary, personally i am digging eric karros.
soup? not so much.

what did this mean though?

Quote:

the “video” that plays under transitional screens looks surprisingly low-res compared to everything else in the game.
I think he means the MLB 12 THE SHOW banner art, like on the team intro. I asked about that too, and I think that was the effect they were going for... kind of an LED background look (if that makes sense).

I definitely agree that presentation is headed in the right direction. I actually had Matt V. talking about the Giants 2010 run, call the next pitch "as Verlander gets this one in for strike 1", then go into the new commentary line asking EK if he felt they could make another run this year. I said it before too, I think Soup is the weakest link now, unfortunately.

YouTube

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »