Home

Revisiting College Hoops 2K8

This is a discussion on Revisiting College Hoops 2K8 within the College Hoops 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Big Dummy

DustinT's Arena

OVR: 40
Revisiting College Hoops 2K8

College Hoops 2K8, though well-received, didn’t exactly rack up the accolades when it first came out almost five years ago. In fact, Operation Sports gave the game a measly seven on the old review scale -- nowhere near an score for what has been considered an all-time classic by the OS community. But since then, a devoted cult following has sprung up around the game. A large community of gamers continues to play College Hoops 2K8 religiously. For this piece, I revisited the game based on the current OS review standards and used rosters from the 2011-12 season to see how well the game holds up and how we might judge this much-beloved title if it came out today.

Read More - Revisiting College Hoops 2K8
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Agree 100% who ever bring back college I'm going with
Them
Old 03-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 2
bring this back please!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Very fair review. The game deserved a 7 when it first dropped, pre-patch. It was another run-of-the-mill 2K basketball game that had quite a few gameplay frustrations. The patch really took the game to another level.

Sadly the game has aged too much for me to play anymore. The controls feel archaic after 2K11 dropped, spacing is very poor, playing calling and off-the-ball movement is poor, etc. This was a legendary game though especially from a depth perspective.

The other thing I'll remember 2K8 the most for is the CPU's IQ and overall ability. This is the best hum-vs-cpu sports game I've ever played. The CPU was smart, relentless, focused, etc. I could be 4-5 years into my UConn legacy, bring my 99 overall team on the road somewhere and get lose by double-digits to an unranked team without it feeling cheesy. I think that's why I never really got bored of this game - the challenge never faded. Almost every sports game eventually becomes too easy or you have to make the CPU too cheesy to beat you consistently. 2K8 avoided that.

Last edited by ehh; 03-19-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19
this happens every year;
just when I think 2k8 has run its course, I immediately fall back in love with this game.
updated playbooks and rosters have helped with more player movement, and motion.

The only thing that really bothers me about the game now is the ay the ball handlers dribble up court. the hunch back is the only graphics I do not like.
In addition the game continues to provide fresh animations. Im still discovering new "WOW" moments in the game.
and like Bo said the legacy mode is deep. the ups and downs are enormous. I continue to have losing seasosn when rebuilding etc. When recruiting, Ive obviously used some house rules to keep the game interesting.

I als think that starting in with NBA2k9 on the PC, that alot of the CH2k8 gameplay AI started to creep its way into the NBA series. as a matter of fact NBA2k12 has alot of similaries with CH2k8. NBA2k12 just has better graphics and animations, but the freegflow feel and AI is definetly there.

In addition, I still do not know why the NBA series has never incorporated the CH2k8 dynamic passing scheme.
bounce passses, etc on fast breaks are a thing of beauty in 2k8.

2k needs to bring back the college serie.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Pro

huntt26's Arena

OVR: 11
College Hoops for life!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Pro

TallyBoi7's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Revisiting College Hoops 2K8

I've just gotten back into College Hoops 2K8 as well, and I'm still enjoying it. As stated before, the legacy mode is deep and games with the CPU are a challenge.

2K Sports should really consider creating another College Basketball game. I'm sure the game would be hit...especially if it plays pretty closely to its NBA counterpart.

Please bring this series back.
MLB: Atlanta Braves
Old 03-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
2k should just drop MLB and bring back college hoops.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K »