Home

Three Attention Grabbers in MLB 12: The Show

This is a discussion on Three Attention Grabbers in MLB 12: The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
only noobs use r1 to advance baserunners
Old 03-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #18
Rookie

ghostmedic171's Arena

OVR: 0
Good posting; I think this is my oh 20 somethin-th year in a row where I've bought at least one kind of baseball game in one form or another, and ever since I defected from 2k sports for the Show 08 I've been hooked.

I have to agree; many improvements seem minor on the surface, but after getting through about 10 games, I'm really excited about this years release. The improvements to ball physics really are noticeable; those chops and hops translated into some great plays for both sides of the mound. The presentation on the field is excellent. I feel like the graphics are as sharp as ever, all flowing at very smooth frame rates. I especially love how they added bullpen options; now I can have my long relief "Stretch & Toss" instead of getting him throwing the ball, warming up and sitting him down if I dont need him. It can also make you feel stupid when you get bullpen management wrong, but I like that kind of strategy. Great touch!

All in all, this year's Show is awesome. I've never really got into create-yourself modes, and I'm sure I'll give Diamond Dynasty a roll, but did I see this right? CO-OP ASSOCIATIONS?!?! Sign me up! (Cant remember if this was in last years show? I know online leagues, yeah; but co-op association??? My brother and I are gonna enjoy that.)

For me, its all about the association; and Show got the fundamentals right 3 years ago; they've been ironing it out ever since, and each year they get closer and closer to perfection. I dont think it's perfect, but it's deep enough to take my summer away from me. Plus, I dont think any franchise mode for an MLB game can be perfect without minor league players; but no thanks to the MLBPA, OS is taking care of that problem with their own Roster Update - Crucial for me since my team's success is going to be determined by its farm. But I'm pretty sure all MLB licensed games have this problem.

Yeah, the announcing is getting old. Some of the same lines at the same times. Many times, uninspired and a little flat. Though if you give it time, it does get the job done, especially in the statistical department. Milestone moments, series streaks, and situational commentary is well timed and well delivered. If you feel the commentary is holding back your experience so much, then call yourself a wahbulance, trade the show in and get yourself MLB2k12 if it bothers you that much. Otherwise, the sounds of contact and the slap of a Felix fastball into the mitt is potent to say the least (first thing I noticed; it made me jump!)

As for the replays; they're all customized; you can turn the frequency down if it bothers you. I'm seeing alot of complaining about stuff that's adjustable. This is the most adjustable baseball game on the market - anyone can play it if you take the time to set your profile correctly.

Anyway, great article. I'm literally excited to play the crap out of this years copy; and that's a good sign if you're still excited AFTER you've been playing it for more than a week. If you're not? You might want to ask yourself if it's time to change gears and get 2k. Seriously, sometimes that can be refreshing. Just me personally, I don't see any reason to being a PS3 owner. I've played a lot of virtual baseball; and for me, this is as close to ballpark bliss as it's ever been. If some of you youngin's start complaining; than go find a copy of R.B.I. baseball 94 or Baseball for the 2600... not even a fair comparison.

Lastly, Thanks to all OS members contributing to the Show's rosters. Im my opinion, they make the difference for me (I mean stock Mariner farm rosters are pretty bad... I put all my prospects into my own Roster, but what about everybody elses teams? Lets just say the guys workin on a league wide minor league roster? You deserve a medal.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »