Home

Madden NFL 13 Team Focuses on Making Defense Fun Again, What Do You Hope to See?

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 13 Team Focuses on Making Defense Fun Again, What Do You Hope to See? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #105
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Madden NFL 13 Team Focuses on Making Defense Fun Again, What Do You Hope to See?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Just thought about this topic again - and I have to add: To people who genuinely care about playing defense, playing defense is already fun. Unfortunately, very few people actually care about defense enough to make it fun. They want to play offense seriously, and let the AI handle the defense.
I disagree with this point wholeheartedly. When I picked up Madden again in 2004 after a long hiatus, I was one of those players who only cared about offense... and because of that, I thought the defense was actually fine.

None of the flaws, like a lack of gap assignments, or proper alignments bothered me, because I just wanted to hang 70 on the board. I found a couple of blitzes, and line shifts that guaranteed me sacks on just about every play and away I went. For me, that was plenty fun.

It wasn't until I actually wanted to play realistically, and started to learn about real defensive tactics -- alignments, run fits, stunts, coverages -- it wasn't until I began to cull all that knowledge that Madden became a bore to me.

I see the point you're trying to make, but it's too simplistic. You're boiling it down to -- if a person doesn't enjoy what's already in Madden, then they must not know what they are doing -- when the truth is a lot more nuanced. There is a crowd that doesn't know what they are doing, but then there's also more than a few on the other side who understand defense and are frustrated at how flawed it is on a fundamental level.

Personally, I LOVE DEFENSE. It has become my obsession, and because I sought out how it's done in real life, it opened my eyes to just how short Madden has been coming up all these years.

He who increases knowledge, increases sorrow.

Last edited by Senator Palmer; 03-19-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #106
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Madden NFL 13 Team Focuses on Making Defense Fun Again, What Do You Hope to See?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
There is a crowd that doesn't know what they are doing, but then there's also more than a few on the other side who understand defense and are frustrated at how flawed it is on a fundamental level.

Personally, I LOVE DEFENSE. It has become my obsession, and because I sought out how it's done in real life, it opened my eyes to just how short Madden has been coming up all these years.

Thank you. Exactly.

The fact that I LOVE defense and all aspects of defense and the complexity and intricacies of a defense scheme and the overall defensive flow, purpose, and responsibility of a single play and its strengths and weaknesses is the very reason why I hate Madden's defense.

MLBs that key on fullbacks, 3-4 that doesn't pass rush correctly. Elite LBs that vacate areas and take horrible routes to try to get the ball carrier (instead of just finding their window and filling it - which a LB with high AWR, PRC, and PUR should do consistently), and so on.

The more I learn about the game, the more limited Madden feels on both sides of the ball, but especially defensively. This antiquate play calling system and the lack of true build-from-the-ground play creation alone is enough to make me feel confined.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #107
Rookie

OVR: 0

I would like to see the battle at the line between DB's and WR's.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #108
Banned

OVR: 25
Not buying it. So I guess that means they have to break other aspects even more to put that in.

The PR train has began. Let's find out what actually sticks when the game arrives.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ffhuss
Old 03-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #109
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
I see the point you're trying to make, but it's too simplistic. You're boiling it down to -- if a person doesn't enjoy what's already in Madden, then they must not know what they are doing -- when the truth is a lot more nuanced. There is a crowd that doesn't know what they are doing, but then there's also more than a few on the other side who understand defense and are frustrated at how flawed it is on a fundamental level.

Actually, I feel that not knowing how to create the nuances of legitimate football defensive strategies adversely effects the User's opinion of the game.

There's a huge difference between increasing knowledge and increasing wisdom. The difference being how to practically apply real life football knowledge in a way that is beneficial in a Madden game.

For instance, you mention how there's no "run fits" in Madden. I don't agree, but that's not the point. The point is once you learn about run fits from real life, whether from experience, coaching, or a book - you can't go straight from there to using it in Madden. There's a bridge process that must occur before any of this knowledge is useful in a Madden game.

We all know there is a technique to throwing a perfect pass in real life and we all recognize that throwing a perfect pass in Madden requires a completely different technique. How well we bridge the timing of a pass play, the precision of pressing the buttons, the movement of the stick to 'simulate' what happens when reading a defense dictate results.

I think we can also agree that if you threw the controller like you would a real ball the results would be disastrous. Likewise, if you throw a ball in real life like we do on Madden (twitching our thumbs and index fingers) the results would be even worse.

Defense is fun for me, but it wouldn't be as much fun without the know how to translate my real world knowledge into Madden play.

Later
Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #110
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Actually, I feel that not knowing how to create the nuances of legitimate football defensive strategies adversely effects the User's opinion of the game.

There's a huge difference between increasing knowledge and increasing wisdom. The difference being how to practically apply real life football knowledge in a way that is beneficial in a Madden game.

For instance, you mention how there's no "run fits" in Madden. I don't agree, but that's not the point. The point is once you learn about run fits from real life, whether from experience, coaching, or a book - you can't go straight from there to using it in Madden. There's a bridge process that must occur before any of this knowledge is useful in a Madden game.

We all know there is a technique to throwing a perfect pass in real life and we all recognize that throwing a perfect pass in Madden requires a completely different technique. How well we bridge the timing of a pass play, the precision of pressing the buttons, the movement of the stick to 'simulate' what happens when reading a defense dictate results.

I think we can also agree that if you threw the controller like you would a real ball the results would be disastrous. Likewise, if you throw a ball in real life like we do on Madden (twitching our thumbs and index fingers) the results would be even worse.

Defense is fun for me, but it wouldn't be as much fun without the know how to translate my real world knowledge into Madden play.

Later
Okay, you're doing that thing you do, where you kinda talk around the issue and don't address the whole point.

Your point was that people don't like Madden defense because most people don't take the time to learn about real defense, and that to the people who do know real defense, what Madden has to offer is already fun.

I countered with my point that the more actual defense I learn, the more I see how flawed the game is from a fundamental level.

And you countered with this...

Quote:
^
Let's stick with this right here, because you just agreed with the point that people like LBz, BezO, taz, KB, Big among others make about the game; that you can't play real football, but you have to "bridge what you know" to translate it to Madden. A run fit is a run fit. If my guy has B gap to weak A in a Cover 3, then isn't that how it should work in the game? If this game is as true to life as you maintain, and you always maintain that real football translates to the game, then explain to me how one of the simplest parts of defensive football can't go straight into Madden?

What do I have to do differently to get a run fit to function in Madden? What process must I go though to translate the basic fundamental things I know to input into Madden. Help me out with this one here, because you lost me. Why in the world if I know how a real run fit works in actual football, can't I apply that to Madden?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #111
Rookie

I Would Love Problems To Be Fix But Also They Really Need To Make Online Franchises A Little Bit More Fun. And Fix Offline Franchises Too
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #112
Banned

balcobomber25's Arena

Blah, Blah Blah.

Every year someone from EA comes out and makes an announcement that the game is being led "in a new direction". Every few years the leadership of the Madden franchise changes hands. Every year we hear about all the exciting new features. And every year we get the same crappy game with updated graphics and rosters. I will believe it when I see it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »