Home

Looking at the Future of Racing Games, Where Do We Go Next?

This is a discussion on Looking at the Future of Racing Games, Where Do We Go Next? within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Big Dummy

DustinT's Arena

OVR: 40
Looking at the Future of Racing Games, Where Do We Go Next?

Since 2005 when the next generation of consoles were ushered in with the XBOX 360, the racing game genre has seen a healthy amount of improvements. These have ranged from simple graphical upgrades to under-the-hood systems that rely more heavily on physics and real world car performance than ever before. We've also seen an incredible breadth of interpretations of what a racing video game is and what it can be. Everything from car combat, arcade racers, hardcore simulations, licensed racing games, kart-inspired games and a few games that defy labels.

Read More - Looking at the Future of Racing Games, Where Do We Go Next?
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii / PC / 3DS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Rookie

OSfan093's Arena

OVR: 3
I think the key isn't moving forward with NEW ideas, i think for racers this is the enemy. I think the reason games used to be so popular is wide appeal. We need to get back to OLD ideas. i enjoy a realistic racer as much as the next, but why can't we have a realistic driving model like Forza in the setting of a street racing game like NFS underground or Most Wanted. The old need for speed titles starting with hot pursuit(not the new one, i hate that one) were in my opinion the most fun racing games i've ever played. Now imagine recreating those with a realistic driving model....and the simple solution to adding wide appeal is to just have a simple driving model option. The realistic model would take a lot of work to build correctly, but the simple one hardly would.

Really though, the key is fun. And now with Forza 4 and GT5 they're both increadibly easy to win, or just enter a great car in a race and crush. I want a challenge, but one that isn't fake like ridiculous AI. I used to like NFS not b/c it was realistic(it wasn't), but b/c it was really fun, had a great story. Now add in a realistic challenge(i hate having to win EVERY race) and you've got a game. And then add in a realistic driving model, you've really got a game.....so if we hybrid the old with the new, i think we could make a NFS type game that FEELS like Forza or GT5. Now that is a game i'd spend $60 on.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Big Dummy

DustinT's Arena

OVR: 40
NFS: Most Wanted is easily the best racing game I have ever played. They kept the story interesting while the gameplay stayed pretty stale. But what really helped the gameplay was the free roam with potential high-speed chases.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Looking at the Future of Racing Games, Where Do We Go Next?

Two suggestions from myself, knowing that I predominantly play the Forza Motorsport games:
  • More online features. Example: Forza 4 added a car club infrastructure that allowed sharing of things like cars and hot lap times. Expand that to let us run full-blown leagues, where the commissioner schedules all the races, qualifying, decides race scoring, establishes event car restrictions, etc.
  • More expansive user-generated content. Example: My favorite feature of Forza 4 is _easily_ the livery editor. What if the game let us make our own tracks to hold events on? What if the game let us design our own supercars to drive and paint?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Rookie

sars973's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Looking at the Future of Racing Games, Where Do We Go Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSfan093

Really though, the key is fun. And now with Forza 4 and GT5 they're both increadibly easy to win, or just enter a great car in a race and crush. I want a challenge, but one that isn't fake like ridiculous AI.
I agree with this. I want a game with the level of detail/physics/graphics/etc. like forza/gt5 with the ai/real racing feel of games like shift 1 or shift 2. That'd be perfect
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
My perfect game,

Forza 4 + NFS Underground 2/Most Wanted.

Basically Forza 4 as it stands now but with an open world and story mode.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Rookie

mcmax3000's Arena

OVR: 2
"The question is, can any of those racing titles compete with the likes of Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport and Need for Speed in the shrinking racing genre?"

I find it really funny that Need for Speed is part of that list because outside of Criterion's Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, I'm not aware that any Need for Speed game has done fantastic sales this generation.

Also, I disagree about Motion Controls. I have yet to see any indicaiton that motion controls, as they currently exist, are worth anything in the racing genre. The lack of a dead zone makes driving in a straight line nearly impossible, which pretty much ruins the game from it's core.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
MVP

bigdoc85's Arena

OVR: 22
In my opinion, GRID was one of the best styles of racing games out there. However, Codemasters has improved the handling and graphics of its racing games in subsequent games such as Dirt 3. A sequel to GRID would make me very happy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »