Home

Looking at the Future of Racing Games, Where Do We Go Next?

This is a discussion on Looking at the Future of Racing Games, Where Do We Go Next? within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 7
Re: Looking at the Future of Racing Games, Where Do We Go Next?

Need a solid stock car racing game where you can build your career up from the local short tracks (dirt and asphalt) to the NASCAR level..

Would be cool to have a Whelen All-American series, USAC, ARCA, K&N Pro Series, Nascar Big Three, etc..not possible with all of the license issues, but would be epic IMO.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21
i need racing to include something like a franchise mode, a career or something...

last racing game i really enjoyed and spent hours on was tokyo extreme racing 2 on dreamcast..

the game was a gem it had opponents who had personalities and challenged you..

i think racing has become too bland and relies too heavily too much on online gameplay...
Old 04-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 33
One thing this generation of consoles has given us is some awesome racing games. Forza 4 & Dirt 3 are stunning to look at. Most racing games now come with a plethora of cars & tracks to choose from & a number of modes to play.

Racing games can go into 3 categories. Those like Forza that offer accurate vehicle models across a number of categories, arcarde influenced games such as Need For Speed & those that are dedicated towards a particular franchise such as F1 or WRC. The most recent Gran Turismo game did include WRC & NASCAR licensing but this was done in a limited way & these franchises require their own dedicated games to truly capture their respective environments.

While all these types of racing games are well catered for what I would like to see is more of an atmosphere & personality to them. Pre & post race presentations in racing games are limited if present at all. F1 2011 does include cut scenes within the career mode but these are all based around your driver. I would like to see such scenes extended to the whole field of drivers, thus focusing on the entire F1 season & not just your F1 season. Such presentations should also be extended across all game modes & not just the Career mode. Commentary could also add alot to the presentation of the races but is something we've yet to see implemented on this generation. Commentary also has the ability of keeping you informed of what's happening around the race track. As it stands racing games are quite insular & you don't get enough feed back on what's happening around you.

Another big frustration with racing games is how AI cars fail to suffer the misfortunes of your own driver. F1 2011 is a great example here. It seems very easy to suffer damage or get penalised in the race but it's rare as rocking horse poo that another AI driver suffers this fate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

I'd like to see a remade updated version of Project Gotham Racing 2. My Xbox live Friends and I used to play that game every night for hours. It was one of the most fun racing games made.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
MVP

BIG CAROLINA's Arena

OVR: 18

How about more real life racing series games. How about an Aussie V8 Supercar game or an INDYCAR, or DTM series (I could go on).

Yes I know they have some of these cars sprinkled in some of the current racers, but I want to race a season not knock down bowling pins and get new driver suits or paint my cars.

I think the arcade/paint your car market is coverd...... How about us who want more series based racers.

PSN: BIG_CAROLINA

"Life is too short for a man to hold bitterness in his heart."
Marshall W. "Major" Taylor
Old 04-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAROLINA
How about more real life racing series games. How about an Aussie V8 Supercar game or an INDYCAR, or DTM series (I could go on).

Yes I know they have some of these cars sprinkled in some of the current racers, but I want to race a season not knock down bowling pins and get new driver suits or paint my cars.

I think the arcade/paint your car market is coverd...... How about us who want more series based racers.
This is pretty much what I was going to post. I was hoping when they announced the Forza/ALMS partnership that they might make more of an effort to include this kind of structure as an option in Forza. As good as the driving model and racing are in Forza, the ridiculously small fields, short races and no practice/qualifying or chmapionships makes me lose interest pretty quickly.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1
Forza 4 would be the nearest thing to racing perfection that I played if it only had one thing -- something I wished for since Forza 3 and something a prior poster stated -- leagues!

Seriously get with it. NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA all have it.

Forza adds that and the pointless random things of lobby games of rammers and jerks are gone and THEN and only then will online be fun with this new dimension playing with friends.

Forza 5 has this, its going to be insane!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #16
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
I don't play racing games much. I have Modnation Racers and that was fun. I'm more of an arcade racer than pure sim and don't want anything to do with long races like Nascar. I did have GT5 Prologue but the GT series underwhelms me.

The one thing I don't understand is the lack of a season mode in Modnation and GT. Why can't I start a "season" where I set the number of races (like 10 or 15) AND pick all the tracks for those races? Then get rewarded with money at the end of the circuit to improve my car so I can move up to different and better circuits?

I remember having Andretti Racing on the PS1 I think. That was the most fun I had with a racing game. They had a 10 race season and if you did well some owners would make you offers so you could get a better car and move up the ladder for your next season. The Modnation Racers and GT5 way of beating tracks so you can earn bonuses doesn't do anything for me long term. It's like I'm playing a ton of exhibitions just to unlock things on my disc.

Like I said, I don't follow racing titles closely. Is there a good racer on the PS3 that has a season mode?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »