Home

Top Five Farm Systems in MLB 12: The Show: #3 San Diego Padres

This is a discussion on Top Five Farm Systems in MLB 12: The Show: #3 San Diego Padres within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #17
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Top Five Farm Systems in MLB 12: The Show: #3 San Diego Padres

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Why are you so high on Austin Hedges Rage, and for that matter Ross and Sampson too? The only guy on the Padres I can justify giving an A to right now is Liriano, and I'm a little hesitant to do that as well. B+'s would have been perfect for all of these guys, because it allows for the opportunity to progress into an A or regress to a C+, giving them A's practically guarantees their success.
I already explained this in the Padres OSFM. There was plenty of time to discuss this.

I'll say this, if those players are not even A-'s... then not only will have to scale all the Padres prospects back, but everyone else, including guys like Javier Baez, Starling Marte, James Paxton, Danny Hultzen, etc.

And for the record, none of those prospects you listed will be stars or MVPs. All A's are not the same (and my version of Rymer Liriano was at the same potential rating as Austin Hedges, but ARoid's version made it in and Liriano has a higher ceiling). And all those players are many years away and have ample time to screw up their potential or raise it even higher, unless you think waiting at least seven years is guaranteeing a player's success.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanemblem
I'm a Padres fan and if the have one of the top farm systems in MLB, then the sport is in trouble. These kids look good on paper, but it's another story when they come to the show with nothing around them to make the transition easier. Alonso is overmatched at the moment without any protection in the lineup. The same will be said for the others when they come up.
I feel like you're underestimating the Padres farm system. They don't really have a true future superstar, sure fire Bryce Harper type of player in their farm system, but the Padres have a plethora of guys in their system that can be solid Major league players and with the potential to be great.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #19
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

Quote:
Because they're not. Making them A's puts them on the same level as Harper, Trout, Montero, Profar, etc. If you give a player an A potential in this game they are 100% guaranteed to reach it. Not a single one of the Padres prospects scream All-Star to me, yes there is a good chance they become productive major leaguers, but the chance that they all become all-stars? no way in hell (sorry Rage); There's a reason why none of these guys crack the top 40 in anyone's list. like I said earlier, giving them a B+ allows for potential growth and also a chance to regress, which allows for a more true to life scenario.
Please tell. For Trout and Montero, there's is already locked and the potentials of the other players were at the whims of other creators.

None of them scream All-Star at the moment, yet what I've read from Austin Hedges is that his offense was questionable going into the draft so that's why I did my due diligence with the two teams I worked with and worked from top to bottom in potential. Don't believe me? You can move the prospects from the Padres to the D'Backs and vice-versa, and see that none of the Padres prospects have the ceiling of Tyler Skaggs or Archie Bradley (again, I mentioned this earlier that Trevor Bauer took a hit in his potential because it's ARoid's version, in my list he was higher than the other two pitchers). You'll have to exclude Rymer Liriano because I did not rate him.

Again, you are ignoring the fact that the A potential range has a wide range. Missing descriptions aside, not all A's are equal or you'd think Cameron Maybin has the same ceiling as Matt Kemp.

Last edited by BatsareBugs; 04-19-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4mbon3s
It's a nice looking park but it's not nice when you're hitting.. it is the definition of a pitcher's park lol
I didn't realize that a pitchers park automatically meant that it was a poor stadium. Petco is a beautiful park, have you ever been to it?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #21
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Because they're not. Making them A's puts them on the same level as Harper, Trout, Montero, Profar, etc. If you give a player an A potential in this game they are 100% guaranteed to reach it. Not a single one of the Padres prospects scream All-Star to me, yes there is a good chance they become productive major leaguers, but the chance that they all become all-stars? no way in hell (sorry Rage); There's a reason why none of these guys crack the top 40 in anyone's list. like I said earlier, giving them a B+ allows for potential growth and also a chance to regress, which allows for a more true to life scenario.
They're not, says you. You can't predict the future of how these guys will develop any better than the rest of us.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #22
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

Mat Latos also has no bearing on these rosters and other potential decisions, but he too was heavily considered a B under both Knight and Ridin when we had no roster vault. I vouched for an A, but it was shot down in favor of guys like Brett Cecil, Trevor Cahill, and so on years before.

These potentials are based on their outlook this year. They can disappoint and drop like Jaff Decker and Casey Kelly, but neither player has done anything to warrant such a potential, especially after I've read some pretty good outlooks for them (especially Austin Hedges). Sampson is very underrated in my opinion and he might not be at the same level as a Gerrit Cole or Archie Bradley.

Add-On:

Even with those four players being A's, the player of the franchise would have to wait a long time to reap the benefits, and even if you keep Alonso and Maybin, that's only 6 A's for the organization... which is in-line with the average team if you divided all the A's in the game equally among the 30 teams, but it's nowhere near teams like Toronto, Kansas City, and power houses that are stacked with A's.

It seems to me you're trying to make me look like I gave the Padres the same treatment as what was given to the Brewers in the initial roster set. You're treading a very fine line.

Last edited by BatsareBugs; 04-19-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #23
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
These potentials are based on their outlook this year. They can disappoint and drop like Jaff Decker and Casey Kelly, but neither player has done anything to warrant such a potential, especially after I've read some pretty good outlooks for them (especially Austin Hedges). Sampson is very underrated in my opinion and he might not be at the same level as a Gerrit Cole or Archie Bradley.

Add-On:

Even with those four players being A's, the player of the franchise would have to wait a long time to reap the benefits, and even if you keep Alonso and Maybin, that's only 6 A's for the organization... which is in-line with the average team if you divided all the A's in the game equally among the 30 teams, but it's nowhere near teams like Toronto, Kansas City, and power houses that are stacked with A's.

It seems to me you're trying to make me look like I gave the Padres the same treatment as what was given to the Brewers in the initial roster set. You're treading a very fine line.
This is where you're losing me. If the potential ratings are reflective of this year, why are you still giving them A's? An A for an 18 year old kid who had only pitched who pitched one inning in rookie ball and has been lit up in 2 of his first 3 starts in A ball, an A for a 21 year old who struggled in his callup to A+ last year, and is now striking out in 39% of his at-bats this year, and a justifiable A for Sampson. For the record, I think whoever did KC vastly overrated them this year, but Toronto makes sense. Star power isn't the only determining factor on who has the best system, just look at the Nationals - two studs who are near major league ready, but overall their middle of the pack.

I'm not sure why you think a B+ is a bad thing, when a C grade means a player has a decent shot of at least playing in the major leagues. Are you not happy that the Padres have a tremendous amount of depth and no studs? Because if I had a choice between picking any of the 30 teams, the only team I would pick above the Padres is the Blue Jays, only because I think they have more high upside players.

Side note:

I simmed til 2016, and every single year the Padres' AAA and AA teams made the playoffs while the big club made it in 2013, 2014, and 2016.

By 2015, Keyvius Sampson was their second best pitcher, Joe Ross the 6th. Rymer Liriano was the starting RF by age 24.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:33 AM   #24
X marks the spot

zephyr13's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4mbon3s
Top five farm system, bottom five stadium lol
You just lost all credibility with this statement. It's evident that you've never set foot in PETCO Park...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »