Home

NCAA Football 13 Hands-On Impressions with Q&A (The Gaming Tailgate)

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 13 Hands-On Impressions with Q&A (The Gaming Tailgate) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
NCAA Football 13 Hands-On Impressions with Q&A (The Gaming Tailgate)

Tommy Gschwend, from The Gaming Tailgate, has posted his NCAA Football 13 hands-on impressions, along with a nice Q&A session, right here. Make sure you check it out, it has a lot of great information.

Quote:
Speaking of receivers not seeing the ball, that is based on the new receiver route awareness. I believe this has largely been explained but for anyone that still doesn't quite understand it, at the start of the snap, all receivers icons will be dimmed. They will remain dimmed until a receiver in real life would be looking for the ball. So, on a slant, a receiver is going to begin looking for the ball right around the time they make their cut whereas on a streak route, the receiver won't begin looking for the ball until they're 15-20 yards down field. You'll still be able to throw the ball whenever you like but if the receiver isn't looking for the ball, he won't make a play for it. This will eliminate the guys who rock & fire right at the snap to the TE that's running a streak... he won't be looking for the ball so it will either hit him the back of the helmet, hit the dirt, or worse get picked. That said, you'll still be able to throw routes based on timing; so long as the receiver is looking for the ball by the time it gets there, he'll still be able to catch it. On top of that, while it hasn't been stated out-right, I definitely feel that true route-based passing is finally in the NCAA Football series. That is, you can throw the ball before the receiver is actually cutting and it will throw to where he should be going and not just lead him in the direction he's currently running. This has been a complaint for years and feels as though as it has been addressed.

To coincide with the receivers having to look for the ball, so do the defenders. No longer are they mirroring or running a receiver's route before him; they have to play the receiver's route by reacting to what he does. The perfect example of this is on curls and comeback routes. If as a QB, you throw the ball before the WR actually makes his cut to get there when he turns around, he'll be able to turn and catch it while the defender might continue running 2-3 steps further down field. It all comes down to timing because if you get your timing wrong and throw the pass too late, that DB will have time to recover only to be able to catch that ball on the run as he returns it for the pick-six.
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Pro

shaunlmason's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NCAA Football 13 Thegamingtailgate Q&A Sights, Sounds, & Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Tommy did a good job on his impressions.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
Pro

huntt26's Arena

OVR: 11

Good link with a lot of good Q&A
Old 04-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

Really good stuff here Tommy!
Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NCAA Football 13 Hands-On Impressions with Q&A (The Gaming Tailgate)

I thought the read-option and the tendency bug would get fixed, but other than that I really wasn't sure what else would be worked on this year. Many will argue, and rightly so, that all these legacy issues shouldn't have gone so long without being improved, but I'm still pleasantly surprised that a lot of longstanding problems have finally been addressed.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: NCAA Football 13 Hands-On Impressions with Q&A (The Gaming Tailgate)

And when y'all come to my little hidden treasure (TGT) -- don't come buggin' about low cut socks!

Another yearly gem -- I love when they get the writin' -- some good stuff.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
Still not going to get my hopes up, but the statement below does make me happy.

"I definitely feel that true route-based passing is finally in the NCAA Football series. That is, you can throw the ball before the receiver is actually cutting and it will throw to where he should be going and not just lead him in the direction he's currently running. This has been a complaint for years and feels as though as it has been addressed."
Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Rookie

The_Gaming_Disciple's Arena

OVR: 8
Still reserving judgement until the demo drops. TGT reported there were no significant changes with regards to tackling animations and the running game which was is a disappointment thus far unless some significant changes are made in the next few weeks, which is unlikely. With the new passing system implementation, it would have behooved EA to seriously make the necessary changes to PI and OI concerning WR and DB's; however, it seems this will not take place in this console generation. Looking forward to May 7th, being that I am a huge offline dynasty player and am exciting about hearing the significant changes that have been made. Hopefully this will not be a disappointment as well. Unfortunately, knowing EA's track record...SMH

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »