Home

Sound Off: Is Lebron the Guy You Want Taking the Final Shot for the Heat?

This is a discussion on Sound Off: Is Lebron the Guy You Want Taking the Final Shot for the Heat? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sound Off: Is Lebron the Guy You Want Taking the Final Shot for the Heat?

Lebron James' clutch gene (or lack thereof) has been debated ad-naseum we know -- but we'd like to hear your thoughts. As the Heat prepare to try to break the deadlocked Eastern Conference Semifinals against the Pacers tonight, we are asking you all a simple question: Given a close game tonight, is Lebron the guy you want taking the final shot for the Heat?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
YES!!!

So then if he misses the media can stop using it as an excuse for the Miami Heat falling short.

People need to face it.......they're not deep enough.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Yes, this whole last second shot thing is getting ridiculous. It's all media driven mainly by ESPN. ESPN has talk radio, internet stories, Sportscenter, tv debate shows dictate what is and isn't big news and they turn everything Lebron does into ridiculously outblown news. Jordan was never under a microscope if he missed a last second shot. Kobe and Durant both have missed last second shots but nobody bats an eye or considers them failures or unclutch.

This guy can't win. If he does it in the regular season it's not a big deal because it isn't Game 7 of the NBA Finals. If he fails in the regular season it's the end of the world. He's the only one who has remained healthy all year, he's been the only consistent on that team. Wade was hurt, Bosh is hurt, Lebron is always there night in and night out playing defense and giving 26+, 6+, 6+ but it's not enough.

I've never seen a player get criticized under the microscope he is under. Not even Peyton Manning or A-Rod.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

SteelersFreak's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Sound Off: Is Lebron the Guy You Want Taking the Final Shot for the Heat?

If I were a Heat fan I would be happy with either he or Dwyane Wade taking it and I would be happy with them creating an open look for one of their shooters. The play he made earlier in the season passing to Haslem for a WIDE OPEN look was a smart basketball play and I would be happy with that for the Heat. BUT I want the action going through one of those two because not only are they the best in those situations shooting, they are the best playmakers and creators on the team as well. Its similar to the Mavs, as a Mavs fan, I want the ball going through Dirk every time, MAYBE Jason Terry if he's having a good night, if Dirk creates an open look for a guy like Vince Carter, JET or JKidd, then you live with that, but you want the ball going through your best player.
NHL: Dallas Stars
NCAA: Alabama Crimson Tide

University of North Texas '14
GO MEAN GREEN!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 8

It shouldn't be about Lebron taking the last shot. It should be about him making the final decision (no pun intended). Lebron is the biggest threat in the NBA with the ball in his hands because of his finishing and playmaking ability. The ball should be in his hands, and it should be up to him what to do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Yes unless there's someone more open. Similar to Steve Blake taking the shot over Kobe last night. If everyone is equally covered, then LeBron takes it. He can shoot over people better than anyone else on the team. He also shoots 37% from three.

Edit: agree with Hotobu. He doesn't have to make the last shot, just the last decision. Example: I thought his last-second pass to Haslem earlier in the season was the right decision even though he missed the shot.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

Yes. LeBron still poses the biggest mismatch no matter who's guarding him and his midrange shot has improved a ton.

Also agree with Hotobu that the ball should be in his hands regardless of whether hes gonna shot or not.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFreak
If I were a Heat fan I would be happy with either he or Dwyane Wade taking it and I would be happy with them creating an open look for one of their shooters. The play he made earlier in the season passing to Haslem for a WIDE OPEN look was a smart basketball play and I would be happy with that for the Heat. BUT I want the action going through one of those two because not only are they the best in those situations shooting, they are the best playmakers and creators on the team as well. Its similar to the Mavs, as a Mavs fan, I want the ball going through Dirk every time, MAYBE Jason Terry if he's having a good night, if Dirk creates an open look for a guy like Vince Carter, JET or JKidd, then you live with that, but you want the ball going through your best player.
Right on. I've noticed I agree with quite a bit of what you post. Good stuff.

Anyway, I wouldn't be mad if Wade made the last play, or James, whoever has the best match-up really is fine with me. And yes, sometimes Wade has a more favorable match-up, like in the Pacers game he had George Hill guarding him, so he tried to post him up, which was a smart play. I don't mind if they go to Wade in situations like that, which usually would force a double team and get someone else a shot. So for me, whoever has the best match-up should have the play run for them, and you live with the outcome. It's not always going to be a last second shot by James or Wade, like Steelers said, you have those guys make a play, and they will try and make the best possible basketball play for that situation, whether it's a shot themselves or setting someone else up for an open look. Most of the times you want to go with James with the ball in his hand in those situations though. He's probably a better passer than Wade and usually has the more favorable match-up...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »