Home

NHL 13 Video - True Performance Skating Revealed

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Video - True Performance Skating Revealed within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
Pro

SeaNNyT's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NHL 13 Video - True Performance Skating Revealed

They need to implement way more realistic puck physics and it's interactions with stick play. The puck never feathers or bounces in anyway, and it kills any sense that this is simulating hockey, but rather you are playing a arcade style game.

It's a shame that this still is overlooked. Why is it they never can make multiple huge improvements per year, it's always one big thing and then charge 60 dollars?

I didn't purchase the game last year and don't plan on it this year, just based off the fact that I don't expect improvements in the aforementioned areas. Yes it's great they finally addressed the skating, but why not also address other areas of gameplay as well?
Old 05-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #18
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNNyT
They need to implement way more realistic puck physics and it's interactions with stick play. The puck never feathers or bounces in anyway, and it kills any sense that this is simulating hockey, but rather you are playing a arcade style game.

It's a shame that this still is overlooked. Why is it they never can make multiple huge improvements per year, it's always one big thing and then charge 60 dollars?

I didn't purchase the game last year and don't plan on it this year, just based off the fact that I don't expect improvements in the aforementioned areas. Yes it's great they finally addressed the skating, but why not also address other areas of gameplay as well?
I imgaine the puck would be the trickiest of all to get to behave realistically, especially on the stick. They also claim to have improved the AI, along with the skating. Don't know what exactly you're expecting. If this all works as it should, this will be the greatest set of improvements this game has seen.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 5

while I do appreciate a more advanced physics based skating engine...when you said you dont know what your expecting, I for one would expect to see much more variety, interactions and realism in goalie animations so we dont see the same repetitive cycle of scripted animations triggered over and over on every shot and scrums in front of the net would then actually resemble something we see in the real NHL.

I would also expect to see ratings of players actually generate more dynamic and varied results on the ice similar to what we saw 2K Hockey incorporate with 2K8 and 2K10. As it is now, every game against every team feels too much like carbon copies of each other with different colored uniforms and names. There is no subtle distinctions between teams or actual players on the ice. So the games feel more like technology engine demos rather than completely organic matches.

Before EA focuses on Improved Presentation (which, btw I want just as much as others do) I think they need to really address these above concerns to take this game to the next level that it has been so stuck in since 2008.

Last edited by DarkFudge; 05-18-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #20
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

So....Does this mean I won't be able to spin o rama with Greg Zanon anymore?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #21
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFudge
while I do appreciate a more advanced physics based skating engine...when you said you dont know what your expecting, I for one would expect to see much more variety, interactions and realism in goalie animations so we dont see the same repetitive cycle of scripted animations triggered over and over on every shot and scrums in front of the net would then actually resemble something we see in the real NHL.

I would also expect to see ratings of players actually generate more dynamic and varied results on the ice similar to what we saw 2K Hockey incorporate with 2K8 and 2K10. As it is now, every game against every team feels too much like carbon copies of each other with different colored uniforms and names. There is no subtle distinctions between teams or actual players on the ice. So the games feel more like technology engine demos rather than completely organic matches.

Before EA focuses on Improved Presentation (which, btw I want just as much as others do) I think they need to really address these above concerns to take this game to the next level that it has been so stuck in since 2008.

Well maybe, just maybe this will help:

Quote:
EA SPORTS Hockey IQ

A completely overhauled A.I. system, players are now fully aware of every other player on the ice, resulting in quicker, smarter and more true-to-life decision-making. EA SPORTS Hockey IQ also delivers the deepest and most customizable set of real-world hockey systems and strategies ever for the franchise.
Now I'm not saying this is going to be the answer or even that all these cool new features are gonna make the game what it should be. However, I think until proven otherwise, there's reason for some optimism. As I said, this game has the potential of being the most improved of the series by far.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #22
Banned

tofubrain2's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
the deepest and most customizable set of real-world hockey systems and strategies ever for the franchise
^^^^This. I'm excited to see what this is
Old 05-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 39

Now this is what you do in a dev. cycle. I loved NHL 12, and this appears to be a giant upgrade.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #24
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubrain2
^^^^This. I'm excited to see what this is
This could be and hopefully is the key to each team playing differently, maybe each line as well

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »