Home

NHL 13 Hands-On Preview with Lots of Good Info (Game Informer)

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Hands-On Preview with Lots of Good Info (Game Informer) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NHL 13 Hands-On Preview with Lots of Good Info (Game Informer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Sounds great on paper. Let's hope it actually translates to the gameplay as it's written up.
Couple things in that bullet list stood out at me

Part of the AI work includes making sure there is better player differentiation on the ice. Fourth liners will go into corners more aggressively and finish their checks.

Excellent and it's about time, Hank I think they finally heard us.

12. EA is also working on making sure teammate AI knows what to do when you have an odd-man rush on offense. If you cross over into their lane, they will know that they should criss cross and position themselves for a scoring opportunity

Also excellent along with players being aware of situations rather than just where the puck is. Goalies coming out to challenge to cut down the angle on a 2 on 1 for example.

Really digging what I'm hearing, I still want to SEE it in action however before I get a chubby about it.
I hope this applies too to BaGM and offline games. Want to see it before I even plan to buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Everything does sound good.....

....until patches and tuners screw everything up, lol.........
hahahhaha.....
Old 05-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16
evrything sounds and looks good especially the new indepth strategies, ai, player difference, more 5 hole goals and more penalties. I would be lying if I said I wasn 't more optimistic after reading all of that but Ive been here before and I wong get burned again. No way this will be a first day buy like before unless the demo blows me away. nhl 11 and 12 demos convinced me to buy the games at less than 20 a piece later in the year. the demo will tell us more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3
This all sounds good as written, and the player strides in the video look fantastic. I'll be looking forward to hearing/seeing more.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Sure like what we're hearing so far.

I was really hoping to have read in the gameplay section that...."No longer can you just skate right through the zones [vs the AI] like you have a free pass."

I've been kinda focusing during this years playoffs on just how often teams dump/chip the puck into the offense zone. And man...it's often, really often.

I do understand that many times it's due to line changes, but also...it's the defender that's just not going to let the puck carrier skate right on pass him. I am a bit encouraged though, to see in the write-up that dump and chase is at least mentioned. Hopefully a good sign.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #21
Rookie

akacesfan's Arena

OVR: 0
I"m so happy you can play the 1-4. I'm probably going to bore the hell out of everyone I play, but it will be cool.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
Rookie

hollywood_cpm's Arena

OVR: 0
Icon12 Re: NHL 13 Hands-On Preview with Lots of Good Info (Game Informer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbergh22
I wonder how much longer Gary and Bill's contract is.
I had a chance to speak with someone at EA regarding this issue at a recent playtest session. I think we'll be with Gary and Bill for a while still. He said that audio is EXTREMELY expensive when making a game. Surprisingly more of a budget goes to audio than people would expect - and obvs he did not mention exact numbers. But the the time and effort that go into making sure one of a number clips plays when a situation happens is very high. Redoing all they've done with new guys would be a major undertaking. Frankly the time is better spent working on gameplay - like the new skating engine
Old 05-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
MVP

jkra0512's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1

I was really hoping to have read in the gameplay section that...."No longer can you just skate right through the zones [vs the AI] like you have a free pass."

I've been kinda focusing during this years playoffs on just how often teams dump/chip the puck into the offense zone. And man...it's often, really often.

I do understand that many times it's due to line changes, but also...it's the defender that's just not going to let the puck carrier skate right on pass him. I am a bit encouraged though, to see in the write-up that dump and chase is at least mentioned. Hopefully a good sign.
Vikes, I'm with you. I'm a Rangers fan and they dump the puck in ALL THE TIME. However, you don't see that very often in this series. It's a bunch of skating by d-men, or a perfect tape-to-tape passing to gain the zone. I'd like to see more of an onus put on boardplay. It seems that when you or the CPU is pinned against the boards, it's a one-on-one match-up, when in reality there should be a few more guys in there trying to dig out the puck.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #24
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1

Vikes if what they say is true, they said there are going to be neutral zone strategies as well so that will be the setting that we can change to make the CPU put more pressure on the puck carrier when entering the zone. Hopefully we will be able to set every teams strategies in the game and save them like we can with FIFA, Madden, and NCAA. That is another one of the great things that 2k10 has. It looks like EA is finally adding this. Great to see.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »