Home

NHL 13 Gameplay Producer Videos - Speed vs. Control and Explosiveness

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Gameplay Producer Videos - Speed vs. Control and Explosiveness within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #25
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 13 Gameplay Producer Videos - Speed vs. Control and Explosiveness

I'm really starting to dig this new skating. It's really cool how the defenseman reacts to the offensive player with stops and starts. It just looks really natural and the fact that they actually stop like a real hockey player is awesome. You can see that explosiveness of the stride. Do they need to add that much snow, no but it shows that they finally stop and start.

The other part I love is the Defensman chasing the player down. In the vid Doughty caught someone from behind and knocked the puck away. It looked really sweet and natural. The one thing I'm scared about though is that players may get by Defenseman for breakaways too much. Obviously we will have to wait until we play it for ourselves but it just seems that way so far. I just don't want to have the D-man get beat and have to chase him down going forward every time. Really D-men are only a little bit slower skating backwards (great D-Men are just as fast) than the forwards are skating forward. I'm hoping these moments just happen when the D-man makes a mistake and is caught off balance.

To me the top end speed looks a little bit unnatural right now. It just looks a little too much like the push puck feature in 12. We will see how it plays out though. Hopefully there will be sliders to help balance it out so maybe it won't look so unnatural. However they are obviously still working on trying to figure everything out with it. I just finally give them credit on trying something new, to make the game fresh. Between this, the change in AI, and strategies this game has a lot of potential. I am in no way expecting any of these aspects to be perfect but at least there will be a start. As long as there are no game killers I will be happy.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #26
Banned

Rogie Vachon's Arena

OVR: 6

They need to include both techniques,NHL12`s and this new animation of pushing the puck ahead.

This new one is more like a taking off from a stand still type of push ahead,while NHL12`s is more of the type you would see if a player is moving with some speed.

I don`t know why they would have to drop one for the other,instead of using them both.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #27
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Funny to me how so many thought the current skating engine was fine.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #28
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK

The animations for skating finally seem to be where they need to be, although it took a while. The speed of the players stopping and starting, essentially the flow of an actual NHL game seems to be their focus this year and if they manage to pull it off smoothly, it's going to do absolute wonders for the game play.
I sure agree, RealmK.

If the movement of the players look believable, yep...that imo too, will go a long way with the gameplay. And even just how nice the game looks in motion makes a sports game [or any game] more fun and interesting to play.

Starting to look like our NHL game may possibly be getting the kick in the pants many of us have been waiting for.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #29
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Really liking what I'm seeing here.

The way the defensemen pivot from forward to backward looks great. And not being able to skate backward as fast as forward anymore is long overdue.

Very happy to see many things these vids show. I'm just hoping now that all this physic based stuff applies to the AI controlled players as well. If so...these upgrades could possibly lead to the sloppier play many of us having been talking about.
Agreed.. makes me very excited.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
I sure agree, RealmK.

If the movement of the players look believable, yep...that imo too, will go a long way with the gameplay. And even just how nice the game looks in motion makes a sports game [or any game] more fun and interesting to play.

Starting to look like our NHL game may possibly be getting the kick in the pants many of us have been waiting for.
To be honest I may get it because of the skating finally getting addressed, I just really really want to see all the AI and trade logic mentions pan out because the offline game is where I spend the majority of my time. And it is long overdue to have CPU GM's trade and line manage properly. It's honestly a shame that so much attention has to be paid to the online portion of the game as this is the reason the GM mode in general has taken pretty much a back seat the past few years.

Let's get it done EA, show me you're serious about the offline game being as good as it should be at this point, considering we're nearing the end of this current console cycle.

Hopefully we won't need a complete rebuild again with the Xbox720/PS4, because really if all the things they're talking about this year pan out, I think we may be as close as we're going to get.

It always seems like there's just that one aspect that is missing from the NHL series, and its that grittiness and flow that a real game provides. Would like to see less tape to tape passes on higher difficulty levels as well to go along with all the skating and AI improvements. More icings, more offsides etc.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 4

Looks to me like the cycle will finally be dominant if executed properly, no more getting caught out of position with no consequence, behind the net play should be fun too.

I just gotta get used to not holding the left trigger most of the time now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
Looks to me like the cycle will finally be dominant if executed properly, no more getting caught out of position with no consequence, behind the net play should be fun too.

I just gotta get used to not holding the left trigger most of the time now.
I hope that is the case, tenders being a bit more dynamic with trying to anticipate passes across the crease should also make them more prone to letting the occasional 5 hole goal sneak in and the like as well.

To be fair I do get a good variety of goals still in 12, but rarely do you see a clean 5 hole goal that isn't the result of a tip of deflection in the current build.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »