Home

NHL 13 Video - Hockey IQ Focusing on Team Systems, Player and Goalie Behavior

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Video - Hockey IQ Focusing on Team Systems, Player and Goalie Behavior within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #17
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NHL 13 Video - Hockey IQ Focusing on Team Systems, Player and Goalie Behavior

This could finally give us sloppy games.. where dump and chase and fore checking can make a real difference instead of skating in a waiting on a one timer.. very nice. Trying to get a line change to get that exhausted line off the ice, but you can't because you are being overworked on the boards.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL 13 Video - Hockey IQ Focusing on Team Systems, Player and Goalie Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
I gotta tell RealmK...I'm still a bit in shock that the game has taken this turn for the better, much better. And much closer to the real thing. I really feared that the up and down nature of past games would be with us for quite a while yet. All in the name of fun fast paced play.

Seems maybe quite a few of us were pleasantly caught off guard by this video. Yep...I'm going to have some trouble with '12' holding my interest at this point.
Seriously between the new skating engine and the fact there's now neutral zone pressure with adjustable forecheck and back check strategies that the CPU actually will employ dependent on who their coach is, is reason enough for me to buy day 1.

I may be the in the minority that didn't have too many issues with 12 aside from I would have liked to see a few more penalty calls, which has also been apparently fixed according to the dev team.

Everything else is just gravy at this point to be honest.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #19
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

OVR: 5

The best AI ever seen in a hockey game!!!
Asking for trouble with that one .

Do you think those vids are in a practice session?
It looks like a dodge ball game and you cant cross the line.

Once they get to the defense it looks good but i hope with the systems they have the AI doesnt retreat into a high school basketball half court press.

The one example of the D man now picking off the pass to the far side winger and it sticks to his stick i hate how the forward who passed immediately backs off he doesnt follow his pass or try and make contact with the defense men.

Should be interesting when we get the demo.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
The best AI ever seen in a hockey game!!!
Asking for trouble with that one .

Do you think those vids are in a practice session?
It looks like a dodge ball game and you cant cross the line.

Once they get to the defense it looks good but i hope with the systems they have the AI doesnt retreat into a high school basketball half court press.

The one example of the D man now picking off the pass to the far side winger and it sticks to his stick i hate how the forward who passed immediately backs off he doesnt follow his pass or try and make contact with the defense men.

Should be interesting when we get the demo.
I don't think he's far off. Really the only other game that's come close to having good CPU AI was NHL2k3. Again, I doubt the game will be perfect, but imo the game isn't terrible by any means. Hardcore sim fans just expect more, often times unrealistically so.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #21
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
This could finally give us sloppy games.. where dump and chase and fore checking can make a real difference instead of skating in a waiting on a one timer.. very nice.
Yep Mizz, by the looks of this video...having to change up your playing style according to who your facing, looks darn promising. I'm really looking forward to pretty much having to dump and chase, rail the puck along the boards, etc...vs the just skating in like ya own the place.

It seems like there's a decent chance now, that each game you play has the possibility of having a different feel to it. Something imo, NHL has sorely needed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #22
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

Sorry. Not sold yet. It's nice that EA has given us this produced, promotional video to salivate over, but is it possible that this extra awareness will simply open up new exploits?

In the Luongo comparison, the 2 on 1 defender was playing the puck carrier (not usually the best technique) and didn't react at all to the pass at the slot.

In the second comparson, the right defense who slid across to inercept the pass did play better, more aware, but with his back turned to the potential shooter, when he broke to intercept the pass is the most important part. It does look good though.

The team system video is, however, a great example of game design done right. It appears the producers studied more game video. My only problem is that the AI players for the attacking team seemed to hang back as if they were changing, not trying to set up an offensive zone play.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #23
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Yep Mizz, by the looks of this video...having to change up your playing style according to who your facing, looks darn promising. I'm really looking forward to pretty much having to dump and chase, rail the puck along the boards, etc...vs the just skating in like ya own the place.

It seems like there's a decent chance now, that each game you play has the possibility of having a different feel to it. Something imo, NHL has sorely needed.
+1000000000
Old 06-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #24
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

A.I. stepping UP at the blue line made me gasp lol!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »