Home

NHL 13 Hands-On Impressions with True Performance Skating

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Hands-On Impressions with True Performance Skating within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: NHL 13 Hands-On Impressions with True Performance Skating

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Is it me though or does it seem they're trying to bring back or hype up a new sprint button?
I think it's a hybrid of analog and speed burst.
I like that it all depends on the analog and not just hammering on 'A' the whole way up the ice.

But there's going to be a big learning curve because so many of us are used to just pressing down on the stick without any repercussions.
It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. I think it has great potential. But it may also frustrate many because they'll have to kill an old habit of just putting the throttle down for 99% of the game.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #18
On the 15 day DL-blister

voodoo_magic's Arena

OVR: 13

I really like how there seems to be a balance between going top end speed and control, especially shot control.
As well fatigue sounds like it's having an impact on how much you want to go full out.
And then the team systems can also help to slow the game down making it feel less like a end to end rush hopefully.

Very promising if all these things can come together and work properly.

It's funny when Rammer is comparing '12 to '13, hard not to show how bad '12 was if he wants to show how good '13 is.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

For those of you who follow Bill Abner, here's a little tidbit from E3:

http://www.nohighscores.com/2012/06/...ort/#more-7319

Quote:
Seeing the old skating model in NHL and then seeing the changes for 13…it was striking. This is the real focus it seems with NHL and the skating felt great and the inability to turn on a dime this year will fundamentally change how you play both offensively and defensively.

It sounds like a small fix but after you spend time playing it, it is very easy to see the improvements. Example: I was given the gamepad and told to race down the ice; it takes a bit longer to reach full speed in ’13 and you can also press the left stick in for what is essentially a speed burst. I got the sense that it really was a speed “burst” and not a turbo button, but I’ll need to spend more time with it. Still, at full speed I was told to cut across the net; in NHL 12 this would have been an easy maneuver, even with the puck. However, in NHL ’13 my speedy skater tried to turn, his momentum, due to his speed being what it was carried him crashing into the boards. The idea of turning while racing at full speed — it’s simply not going to happen. This will absolutely change how NHL plays — and I think for the better. There was more to the demo from additional animations, the talk of better physics, better defensive positioning, etc. but this was my big takeaway from my playtime. NHL is one of EA’s best franchises and this looked like a no-brainer purchase.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

There more I hear about NHL 12, the more I fear for my EASHL team. Everything we do is basically going to be obsolete.

Not like thats a BAD thing though...
Old 06-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerk2
There more I hear about NHL 12, the more I fear for my EASHL team. Everything we do is basically going to be obsolete.

Not like thats a BAD thing though...
We'll see.. hopefully the attributes get an overhaul where there are pros/cons to every build and a well balanced team has the advantage.. instead of now where only about 3 attribs matter and if they're at 99 you're golden.

Kind of funny they said "size really matters" for 12 yet as long as you're skating fast you can knock down anyone regardless of size or attribs..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #22
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
For those of you who follow Bill Abner, here's a little tidbit from E3:

http://www.nohighscores.com/2012/06/...ort/#more-7319
Thanks for posting this, Mizz.

I always look forward to reading Bill's previews/reviews.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #23
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Thanks for posting this, Mizz.

I always look forward to reading Bill's previews/reviews.
He calls it like he sees it, so it was interesting to read his thoughts on the new skating model. I would agree, that improvement alone is worth the purchase price to me.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
He calls it like he sees it, so it was interesting to read his thoughts on the new skating model. I would agree, that improvement alone is worth the purchase price to me.
Agreed, Mizz. I trust, Bill.

In fact for Fathers day, my kids prepaid for NHL '13' for me.

I can't help but to keep watching that video about the new skating and Hockey IQ. Every time I hear Rammer say in the vid...."You can no longer skate through the neutral zone with ease."...and then I see the AI defensemen standing up at their blue-line...a huge smile comes across my face. Man...that's a big welcome change to NHL! Cannot [swear word] wait!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »