Home

NHL 13 Video - Hockey IQ Focusing on Team Systems, Player and Goalie Behavior

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Video - Hockey IQ Focusing on Team Systems, Player and Goalie Behavior within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #25
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NHL 13 Video - Hockey IQ Focusing on Team Systems, Player and Goalie Behavior

If this vid is a close representation of how the final product is going to play...I kinda can't help but wonder how well this gameplay change will go over, to the more pick-up and play hockey gamer.

Meaning...will there be several complaints that the fast paced up and down shoot the puck style of play, has been replaced with [hopefully] a more realistic style? Because imo anyway...this video seems to be showing quite a change from past NHL games.

I guess I'm just being a worrywart that this change in gameplay may get a negative response from the more casual majority. Hopefully not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL 13 Video - Hockey IQ Focusing on Team Systems, Player and Goalie Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
If this vid is a close representation of how the final product is going to play...I kinda can't help but wonder how well this gameplay change will go over, to the more pick-up and play hockey gamer.

Meaning...will there be several complaints that the fast paced up and down shoot the puck style of play, has been replaced with [hopefully] a more realistic style? Because imo anyway...this video seems to be showing quite a change from past NHL games.

I guess I'm just being a worrywart that this change in gameplay may get a negative response from the more casual majority. Hopefully not.
I think that depends totally on tuning and how they make out getting the checking physics back in the game after working on the skating. And how they tune pass reception.

I'm hoping the specific passing sliders have more of a drastic effect for the offline game, it would be something truly special were that to be the case.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #27
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16
the neutral zone play looks really good.
skating awesome
team personalities great.

like realm said please make passes less accurate
also im not sold on the goalies. animations are too much the same and im afraid that most goals will be scored the same ways....i.e: the overreliance of top shelf goals. high glove or high blocker.

but this video is quite promising for sure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #28
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
I think that depends totally on tuning and how they make out getting the checking physics back in the game after working on the skating. And how they tune pass reception.

I'm hoping the specific passing sliders have more of a drastic effect for the offline game, it would be something truly special were that to be the case.
So true.

With what I saw in the video, along with some nice fine tuning...and throw in some very effective sliders for off-line play... yahoo!
Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 15

o_O shot sliders they are using for that video is : shot power: 3/3,slap shot power: 3/3 or 2 and the default shooting section

when i looked at the video looked so simliar to my be a gm sliders to what i face but ya its gonna be tough to get in the zone i think for super star

for NHL 13 is gonna be game speed: 1 and player accellaration: 2/1 again
to cut down the cpu's speed burst aka hustle which is effective in NHL 12 super star
Old 06-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #30
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

This is exciting, now if only they would cut down the magnetip puck on rockep passes.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

I must have watched this video twenty times by now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #32
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

Remember last year, when Sean Ram was explaining how the players would be aware of where the puck was suppose to go instead of just reacting to the play like we saw in NHL 11? Well, seeing that video now got me a little upset since I have a strong feeling I was taken for an idiot.

The Bouwmeester video was exactly what wasn't working in NHL 12. I guess that knowing were the puck was going for the AI meant that since it was going in the net, Bouwmeester was programmed to go in the net as well! Glad to see they finally make something about the D-man going to cover the blue paint instead of the man, but again, like in the NHL 12 video of last summer, can help myself and say that the Wild defenceman I saw wasn't playing the play like an NHL D-man would do.

You don't cut a passing lane facing your goalie for christ sake, you cut the lane by getting close to the guy who's open behind you to cut the pass, and face the other guy who's going to shoot (since you cut the lane) and facing him instead of your goalie, you can react effectively if there's a rebound so you can clear the puck.

This goalie IQ system looks great, until someone out figure out how to glitch the programming and found a weakness in the IQ. I'm encouraged by the fact that the goalie can play a 2 on 1 like it should (cheating a bit) but I hope that beeing creative a bit will be rewarded for forwards so that you can have a quick return pass going in the net a few times while glitching the goalie isn't that effective.

At last, if the team system are that effective like they are in the video, we will get a ton of kids screaming : "It's too hard, I cannot make a Paul Coffey of myself going from end to end...EA S*ck". Personnaly, kids can complain has they want, if you saw what the Kings did to every team they face in the playoffs, you saw that executing a system, putting pressure, covering your base and playing discipline hockey makes wonder (as important a goalie giving only one bad goal all playoffs) and it was missing in NHL 12.

There's a chance 2 games doesn't have the same feeling and that's for the better. I don't want the Oilers and the Rangers to play the same style. I don't want to see the Flyers play a trapt while the Kings are not forchecking.

I still have my doubt, still have a sense that last year was suppose to be a game that would change the way I play, while it's again the case in NHL 13. Still have the sense EA fooled me with NHL 12 beeing a mid-complete hockey game. Even thought, I'll buy the game on September 11, hoping that was I see now will translate in a strong and fun hockey game experience.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »