Home

Sound Off: Do you like the college football playoff plan?

This is a discussion on Sound Off: Do you like the college football playoff plan? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Sound Off: Do you like the college football playoff plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArsenologist
Lack of on-campus games makes this truly awful. I love my alma mater more than anything, but there's no way I'll ever fork over the money to go to two straight neutral site games should they be competing for a championship. What's wrong with a Florida v. Michigan game in Ann Arbor with a spot for the title on the line? The money-grabbing, corrupt bowls are the real winners here. But just wait a few years when the semi-final games are poorly attended by fans who are holding out for a trip to the big game.
I think attendance will be fine for the semi-final games at neutral fields. Most people I know would pay the money to see both games. JMO

Old 06-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 19

The BCS system needed an overhaul. A playoff is a better option, but keeping a bunch of peripheral bowls on life support only benefits ESPN. FBS football is going to evolve into a two level division. Non-BCS conferences like the Sun Belt, the MAC, the Mountain West, and C-USA need their own title game system, since they will be shut out of the playoff, and serve as fodder for the BCS contenders.

I didn't post a blog soon enough. Here's my idea, albeit too late:

The country is divided into three geographic regions, regardless of conference affiliation. The North is essentially all schools north of the Ohio River, east of the Mississippi River, New England, New York, with the Mason Dixon line being the border. The South is east of the Mississippi, south of the Ohio River. The West is all schools in the states west of the Mississippi, regardless of conference. One school is selected from each region of the country. The second place finishers in each region are thrown into a pool. From that pool, the fourth team for the NCAA Football playoff is selected.

My crazy idea is the selection of this addition team, this wild card. Let the people decide. They vote over a 24-hour period electronically. One of the major phone companies puts up major money to execute the vote. People vote for the wild card team as they vote for American Idol or Dancing With the Stars. The proceeds of this Wild Card pool could go into a general scholarship fund for all colleges. It could fund a stipend for athletes, whatever.

You preserve the integrity of the conferences, allow for geographic representation, and give fans nationwide a voice.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Stop the Nonsense

fsufan4423's Arena

OVR: 36
Any playoff plan has to be better than what we have now. This formula the BCS uses is no different than letting the media decides who plays for a National Championship.

I'm still trying to figure out how Auburn didn't play for a championship in 2004 with a undefeated season, and that would be unheard of today. Then Michigan and Ohio ST in 2006 is no difference than LSU and Alabama last year.

We need any kind of playoff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Rookie

moose616's Arena

OVR: 3
We still have the Bowls, and the BCS as an entity can stay in existence, too. I actually suggested this format in a college class a couple years ago. Nice to see it finally coming to fruition.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
Rookie

PioneerRaptor's Arena

OVR: 8
I agree that a playoff is better than what we currently have.

However, I am stunned how the non-BCS conferences agreed to it. They will still never have a chance to compete. The Top 4 will most likely always have an SEC opponent and a Big 12 opponent. PAC-12 as a good chance of always supplying a team as well.Then there'd probably be another SEC team, or a B1G team. Either way, the smaller conferences don't have a chance.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

The fact that the "not quite as big 7" appear to have signed off on this can only mean that they have been promised something.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
Champs

Husker_OS's Arena

OVR: 39

All for it. It means we're this much closer to being where I want, which is an 8-team playoff.

Alabama National Championships

1925-1926-1930-1934-1945-1961-1964-1965-1966-1978-1979-1992-2009-2011-2012-2015

"Fight on, fight on, fight on men! Remember the Rose Bowl, we'll win then..."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Rookie

PioneerRaptor's Arena

OVR: 8
I just heard on ESPN Radio that a selection committee will choose the four teams with an emphasis on Conference Champions and Strength of Schedule.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »