Home

Sound Off: Do you like the college football playoff plan?

This is a discussion on Sound Off: Do you like the college football playoff plan? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Sound Off: Do you like the college football playoff plan?

Any postseason playoff is better than the flawed idea of the "season-long playoff", though I'm not convinced that this current system is the ideal.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 2
I like the idea of a playoff. We can at least let the teams decide the champ on the field and not on the computers. I would've loved to see Oklahoma St., Stanford, LSU, and Alabama in a playoff last year. And as far as fans having to travel. College basketball fans follow their schools during March Madness, and we know football has way more followers than basketball. Plus it's not like the hosting city won't have people lined up to get tickets.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Sound Off: Do you like the college football playoff plan?

It doesn't go far enough. With the whole "selection committee," you're going to have even more bitching and moaning as to why the number five team got snubbed in the selection process. We're at the point though where the whole "superconference" idea isn't too far off. If we can get to the point where the big four conferences (B1G, SEC, PAC, BigXII) are able to lock out the other conferences to create a Premier League type set up, we'll see a true eight team playoff where the winners of the divisions are the automatic playoff teams.

At this point, get rid of the bowls and focus on a playoff system. More money for all.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #20
Banned

js3512's Arena

OVR: 5
Surprised at how many negative comments there are. Granted, it's not enough but consider how long it's taken college football to come this far. Fans wanted a playoff before the BCS was even created. Baby steps people, you can't expect an ultra conservative entity like the NCAA to make huge changes overnight. Ideally I'd like to see an 8 or even 16 team playoff but it could be decades before the NCAA is ready to take that step. For now a final four should do. One thing that I think should be thrown in is that if you're undefeated and have defeated at least one top 20 team you receive an automatic birth so that way an undefeated Boise St. could never be snubbed unless they simply didn't schedule anyone.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6
I for one (not that it matters) won't be able to fork over the money to go to a semi final or final game. Let's say you go to a majority of home games. Then you pay extra to go to a conference championship, then you pay extra to go to a semi final game, then a national championship? I'm not paying that kind of money to watch a college football game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by js3512
Surprised at how many negative comments there are. Granted, it's not enough but consider how long it's taken college football to come this far. Fans wanted a playoff before the BCS was even created. Baby steps people, you can't expect an ultra conservative entity like the NCAA to make huge changes overnight. Ideally I'd like to see an 8 or even 16 team playoff but it could be decades before the NCAA is ready to take that step. For now a final four should do. One thing that I think should be thrown in is that if you're undefeated and have defeated at least one top 20 team you receive an automatic birth so that way an undefeated Boise St. could never be snubbed unless they simply didn't schedule anyone.
8-16 team playoff? You really want to see 6 teams of the SEC battling it off to play a tournament? If you make it that big, you have a better chance of having a team that shouldn't be there to win the game. If your #16 team wins the national championship, then you need to change who decides to rank teams. With 4 (even though I hate the playoff idea period), you at least have some chance that the national championship will be between 2 good teams.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #23
Rookie

jamie1981's Arena

OVR: 5
I like it. I want 8 games but 4 is a good start. One question for everyone... what happens to the new champions bowl? Does it become one of the semi final games?

Sent from my 1983 Motorola DynaTAC mobile phone

My Teams:
Penn State Nittany Lions
Florida State Seminoles
Seattle Seahawks
Philadelphia Flyers
Philadelphia Phillies
Baltimore Orioles
Old 06-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
It doesn't go far enough. With the whole "selection committee," you're going to have even more bitching and moaning as to why the number five team got snubbed in the selection process. We're at the point though where the whole "superconference" idea isn't too far off. If we can get to the point where the big four conferences (B1G, SEC, PAC, BigXII) are able to lock out the other conferences to create a Premier League type set up, we'll see a true eight team playoff where the winners of the divisions are the automatic playoff teams.

At this point, get rid of the bowls and focus on a playoff system. More money for all.
I actually like that. There doesnt even have to be a super conference to start it. Just take the big 10, 12, SEC and Pac. make them all have atleast 12. Take the winners of each division. Make big 12 north play south in the first round. The winner becomes conference champ and moves on. That way no conference can have 2 teams in the championship.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »