Home

Sound off: How much controversy will the new playoff system bring?

This is a discussion on Sound off: How much controversy will the new playoff system bring? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
A four-team playoff solves nothing for the "non-BCS" schools. They've managed to make the on-the-field format more appropriate, but the only way to give everyone a fair shake is to expand the field to eight teams.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
They need to expand the playoff system to include more teams.

Give every conference champion an automatic playoff bid ala NCAA basketball. Then invite a few extra at-large teams to complete the bracket.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Sound off: How much controversy will the new playoff system bring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
As was asked to you before in one of the other threads, how do you justify a system where big programs such as Miami, FSU, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Notre Dame are excluded but such pedestrian programs as Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Washington State and countless others get their shot?

You act as if all the deserving programs are in what you call the big four and the other conferences are made up of irrelevant programs.
I'm not telling anybody that this is the way it should be. I'm telling people that this is the road that we are going down toward. If the Big East or ACC doesn't want to be in the playoffs that's fine, they can stay in the current structure and go for the Orange Bowl. What I'm saying is that we already have tiers of teams from FBS to D-III. Why shouldn't Sam Houston State get a shot at the top title in your case?

This isn't about what I want, it's about what I perceive as the future of the sport. The playoffs were Pandora's Box and it's wide open; we can't shove it back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Give every conference champion an automatic playoff bid ala NCAA basketball. Then invite a few extra at-large teams to complete the bracket.
There's no money in that.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #20
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
I think too many people are thinking the prhase "with emphasis on conference championships" means only conference champions will get in. What that phrase really means is that if you lose/fail to make your conference championship you will have a harder time getting into the playoffs.

Meaning OK State would absolutely get into the playoffs, and Bama would have to rely on their strength of schedule. Oregon would be favored over Stanford to get into the playoffs despite being ranked behind Stanford in the final regular season poll. They aren't limiting the playoffs to winners of the 4 best conferences that particular year.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #21
Pro

videlsports's Arena

OVR: 25
I'm happy to see it going in the right Direction, but 14 years wow. I would like to see 8 teams in, that will not stop the complainers but at least its a good closing argument. If your team are not in the Top 8 then maybe you will schedule tougher opponents and it would force teams ( including my Beloved Penn St) to playing good competition. I want to see a rush on 8 teams instead of waiting for 14 years to pass then add more.

That's one of the reasons I love College Football though the conversation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #22
Pro

GiantYankee's Arena

OVR: 8

It will be exactly the same. Only now the controversy will be about who should be getting the 4th seed.
Michigan Wolverines (11 National Championships)
New York Rangers (4 Stanley Cups)
Old 06-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #23
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Like I've said before, it depends who is on the committee, what is their rationale, and how they explain their picks.

Ideally, the crowd shouldn't be pro BCS or Mid-Major, a few should be knowledgeble at the highest level (as in coached the game), and most importantly....THEY NEED TO EAT, DRINK, AND LIVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL FOR THAT YEAR. This won't happen, but I'm talking about a committee who watches game tape and are honest with themselves on who the best 4 are.

If I was on the committee, my top four last year would've been LSU, Oklahoma St., Alabama, and Boise St. Boise St. would've never made it on polls, but I think on a neutral field they would've beat Stanford and Oregon more times than not.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 06-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #24
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRRTY30
The controversy now is whether or not the 2 best teams are in the championship game. In two years, it's going to be whether the selection committee picked the 4 best teams for the play offs. What do they do if there are 5 undefeated teams?
When have there ever been 5 undefeated teams?

I think an 8 team playoff is ideal but this is a really good step in the right direction and a lot better than what we currently have.

I would rather there be a debate over who the 5th best team was instead of having a debate over who the second best team was when three teams go undefeated or #2 and #3 have one loss.

Usually the #5 team isn't in the discussion.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »