Home

NHL 13 Screenshots - Dynamic Goalies

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Screenshots - Dynamic Goalies within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL 13 Screenshots - Dynamic Goalies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
thanks for clarifying that NHL 13 is a video game..

stuff like the goalie issues etc above, not nitpicking.

most realistic game right?
Don't get me wrong, I'd like more realistic goalie interaction/movement too. But I think there's far bigger issues with the gameplay that need more attention. At least it isn't like 2k10 where they flop around like dead fish on just about every shot sent their way. Basically it could be far worse.

Goalies aren't as terrible in the offline game imo. I don't play online, I don't know what groups do to exploit them or whatever, so take that for what it's worth. When I'm playing I really don't notice if a goalie "pushes off" or not. I'm more concerned with burying the puck in the back of the net, or on defense preventing that shot from reaching my netminder and clearing the puck to really care to be honest.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
Banned

Rogie Vachon's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
How many of their customers actually play as a goalie consistently?

I'd guess it's around 5-10%...

There are just more pressing issues with the game.
If there are more pressing issues,then why include it?

Seriously,...I could eat a can of alphabet soup and crap out a better argument than what you are making.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie Vachon
If there are more pressing issues,then why include it?

Seriously,...I could eat a can of alphabet soup and crap out a better argument than what you are making.
Include what??

I'm just saying there are more pressing issues than mo-capping a bunch of goalies and trying to make their movements in game look more realistic.

Just an opinion, cool your jets.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 06-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Don't get me wrong, I'd like more realistic goalie interaction/movement too. But I think there's far bigger issues with the gameplay that need more attention. At least it isn't like 2k10 where they flop around like dead fish on just about every shot sent their way. Basically it could be far worse.
Realmk, I like you and all but stop comparing EA Sports NHL game to 2k's game. 2k Hockey doesn't even exist anymore. And for the record Bwiggy only mentioned the goalies in 2k8 not the entire game. I understand that EA has no competition so there isn't really a need to compare to anything but Real life(or other sports games)....but as you said its a Video Game, so cue the Arcade style skating and unrealistic goalies.

Anyways the goalies in this game don't really need more animations, I think they just need better AI. I was pretty satisfied with the save attempts in NHL 12.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #21
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Just a tad nit picky imo.
its not nitpicky at all. goalies are very important and realistic movement is needed to improve scoring. this is a huge reason why there are no 5 hole goals in the game. mist 5 hole goals occur whem you get the goalie moving and he opens up between the legs. why do his legs open up? because he is shuffling from one side to the other using realistic shuffle motions instead of warping like a voodoo man defying all physics.

they even had this in nhl 2k8. not nitpicky at all considering scoring goals is the meat of a hockey game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
Banned

Rogie Vachon's Arena

OVR: 6

You want a real example of nit picky.....

Here`s a good one.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8767290.page

You may notice,..no mods or EA apologists come running to defend the game and proclaim "nit picking" when it`s stuff like this.

Last edited by Rogie Vachon; 06-30-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai123
Realmk, I like you and all but stop comparing EA Sports NHL game to 2k's game. 2k Hockey doesn't even exist anymore. And for the record Bwiggy only mentioned the goalies in 2k8 not the entire game. I understand that EA has no competition so there isn't really a need to compare to anything but Real life(or other sports games)....but as you said its a Video Game, so cue the Arcade style skating and unrealistic goalies.

Anyways the goalies in this game don't really need more animations, I think they just need better AI. I was pretty satisfied with the save attempts in NHL 12.
They're both hockey games. Maybe I should compare it to how players react in Madden instead, that make more sense? It has little to do with competition. NHL2k no longer being around isn't the fault of EA. It's due to Take Two putting out a shoddy product year after year after year. I don't at all wonder why they have pretty much 1 sports title in their whole entire line left do you?
Old 06-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
its not nitpicky at all. goalies are very important and realistic movement is needed to improve scoring. this is a huge reason why there are no 5 hole goals in the game. mist 5 hole goals occur whem you get the goalie moving and he opens up between the legs. why do his legs open up? because he is shuffling from one side to the other using realistic shuffle motions instead of warping like a voodoo man defying all physics.

they even had this in nhl 2k8. not nitpicky at all considering scoring goals is the meat of a hockey game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
I don't think it's the movement rather than they still have a bit of suction when it comes to making saves. 5 hole goals DO happen, even clean ones that aren't deflected, there just isn't enough because goalies in hockey video games essentially almost always have the stick perfectly positioned to block the 5 hole, along with the aforementioned suction.

I personally don't think the "warp" as you state it, is that pronounced, could they have more animations for a tender moving across the crease? Sure, and then folks would find ways to glitch that all day long, and you'd have even more complaining about glitch goals.

They simply can't win. It's become more and more obvious to me every year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »