Home

NHL 13 Video - Goalie Anticipation

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Video - Goalie Anticipation within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2012, 02:52 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL Quick Clip:Inside look at Goalies in NHL 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupCrazyManiac
Damn it! I cant understand why EA wont copy NHL2K8' s Golies!???! Still the best Goalies of all NHL Games ever! Hey, its 2012 and 2k8 is from 2007!...Think bout it EA. ;-)
Yeah, 2k8's goalies are for the most part pretty darned good I have to admit at least animations wise, the AI isn't quite there in 2k8 imo But they nailed the "feel" when it came to how tenders move and react.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #10
Banned

Rogie Vachon's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllJuicedUp
I just want to hear more about user controlled goalies. The goalie control in NHL 12 is an abomination for the user compared to the moves the cpu can pull off. Why users still don't have more control and access to animations the cpu has had for years now is ridiculous.

I'm afraid if there isn't a serious upgrade to user goalies, the trend away from 6 v 6 online is going to continue as less and less people want to play net. That is literally the only thing that keeps me coming back to this game. After playing quality 6 v 6 games, there's really no comparison to playing with the AI (online or off). Nothing beats an intense 6's game.
Yes,
Here`s what the controls should look like,with the corresponding manual saves developed into the game.

LS - Move

LT - Butterfly

RT - Modern Standing Post Hug

LT+RT - Paddle Down Post Hug
***(use X button to cycle between Paddle Down and VH stance)

LB - Precision LS Movement - change to Free Skate?
A - Free Skate - change to Shove/Slash or use for something else?
Y - Cover Puck

(when passing puck)
RT - normal pass (glove pass,exquisitly tuned to please)
RB + RT - flip pass/dump

........................Right Stick Moves (when in normal stance or butterfly stance)

Up - Pokecheck - out and hold out on ice for a second or two ( and this needs to function much better )
Down - go down to make butterfly save or kick save,then recover back into normal crouch

Top left - Glove/Stick High Left
Middle left - Glove/Stick Middle Left
Bottom Left - Leg Save Left

Top Right - Glove/Stick High Right
Middle Right - Glove/Stick Middle Right
Bottom Right - Leg Save Right

-Right Stick Moves while in Paddle Down or VH ( LT+RT ) example below is when the puck is on the right side,in the corner or behind the net
(for the left side, controls are flipped)

Top left - glove high
Middle Left - glove middle
Bottom Left - pad/glove low left
Up - lift left shoulder/glove high

Top Right - lift right shoulder/blocker high
Middle Right - lean against post in paddle down,close down the 5 hole in VH
Bottom Right - poke check
Down - poke check/block pass from behind or side of net

.......................Desperation Saves
RB - modifier for RS desperation moves

RB+Up - Diving desperation save,while in free skate can do the diving-head first poke check
RB+Left - Stack pads to the left
RB+Right - Stack pads to the right
RB+Down - Spread Eagle

.................................................. ...................................

I`m not sure if I`ve missed anything,..but this covers a lot,...and there`s still room to do more stuff.

The important thing to note is,...ergonomically,....this layout is about as perfect as it can get.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

I honestly don't think this is that bad. Sure the animations for diving look kind of unrealistic. But I didn't really pay attention to it, usually I just look at how bad it's going to screw me in net, and it doesn't look horrible. It looks now like I'm not just going to get cross-crease after cross-crease thrown at me for goal after goal. In NHL 12 even if I'm cheating and anticipating the play and pass perfectly it still doesn't matter, I get locked into an auto-save and can't move all the way across the crease. It looks like it may be fixed in '13. Kind of excited for it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I will say, skating looks PHENOMENAL!!!

Really looking forward to seeing a game in motion with the new skating engine, it really looks realistic.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

What I saw just amazed me. On a 2 on 0, the goalies chance of making a save is around 10% max. Most 2 on 0 will end up in the net simply because it's impossible for a goalie at most level of covering all the bases. You don't know if it's going to be pass-shoot, pass-pass-shoot or shoot. Add to this the fake pass then shoot, fake shoot then pass then boom shot.

On the other side, what I'm seeing is that they have Jonathan Quick play like the real one. Far outside the crease, covering bottom part of the net like anyone. Quick might be the quickest goalie with his legs covering the lowest part, so guys have to aim high. I like that the goalie is going far outside to challenge shot, but...and there's a but, if the AI is good at keeping it's position outside the crease to play the angles and get back in position, it's much more tougher for the human to do the same!

I think that on SuperStar level, the goalies will be a tough challenge for casual players because if they can anticipate the coming options for shots, what are we left with, curve shots and money shots? I'm just hoping there's a fine line here between goalie greatness and some chances given to guys who are creative on the ice.

Not to rub in it to EA guys, but the goalies and AI last year we're so bad, it wasn't tough to improve them. So far, from what I'm seeing, there's an nice improvement. We'll see when the demo is available how it plays out.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Banned

Rogie Vachon's Arena

Here is another comment that makes the point very well.

Studleythedrago...

Santini3 wrote:They're not "dumbing" goalies down... they're taking out an admittedly useless feature (manual saves).
How is "making a save" a useless feature as a goaltender?
If EA said "Too many people are struggling with pokechecks, so we removed the manual pokecheck and it will all be done by the computer for you" or "We've got rid of manual shot aim, all shots will be aimed by the computer for you" or "We've removed manual passing, the CPU will now determine when your player passes and will make the pass for you" would you be whistling the same tune about "admittedly useless features".

You're playing as a goalie, your only jobs is to make saves, and they remove them from the game and you don't see a problem with that?
I'm sure a lot of people find being 6'4" or 6'9" and sitting on their goal line while sipping iced tea and watching TV and letting the computer play for them fun, but a lot of us don't and that's why we play goalie to... you know.... Make saves, not have the computer do it for us.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
I think that on SuperStar level, the goalies will be a tough challenge for casual players because if they can anticipate the coming options for shots, what are we left with, curve shots and money shots? I'm just hoping there's a fine line here between goalie greatness and some chances given to guys who are creative on the ice.
I really hope that goalies will be a challenge!

It seems like we will actually have to read the goalie this year. I can't wait to try it out, I hope it works like I think it will in my head. Have to try and see if the goalie is cheating, if he is fire one short side corner, if not go for the one timer.

I can't wait to get robbed of an easy one-timer goal by one of those diving saves lol

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Just watched the video....damn!, I'm never going to score.

Seriously though, very glad to see what's being done to curb the cross crease goals. I have to admit when I really needed a goal vs the AI, I'd resort to this pretty cheap tactic. I'm glad to see the game will force me now to be a bit more creative.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »