Home

NHL 13 Video - Goalie Anticipation

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Video - Goalie Anticipation within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2012, 02:13 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL Quick Clip:Inside look at Goalies in NHL 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie Vachon
Here is another comment that makes the point very well.

Studleythedrago...

Santini3 wrote:They're not "dumbing" goalies down... they're taking out an admittedly useless feature (manual saves).
How is "making a save" a useless feature as a goaltender?
If EA said "Too many people are struggling with pokechecks, so we removed the manual pokecheck and it will all be done by the computer for you" or "We've got rid of manual shot aim, all shots will be aimed by the computer for you" or "We've removed manual passing, the CPU will now determine when your player passes and will make the pass for you" would you be whistling the same tune about "admittedly useless features".

You're playing as a goalie, your only jobs is to make saves, and they remove them from the game and you don't see a problem with that?
I'm sure a lot of people find being 6'4" or 6'9" and sitting on their goal line while sipping iced tea and watching TV and letting the computer play for them fun, but a lot of us don't and that's why we play goalie to... you know.... Make saves, not have the computer do it for us.

Wouldn't adding anticipation playing a part in the chances of making a save, and independent limb control be adding? I thought most people just play the angle and let the game do the rest as it has been the last few years. Wouldn't this be ADDING more control to the user?

I still think rather than state as fact how broken it's going to be, play the damn thing first then decide. Who knows, it could be better, or worse, the thing us none of us have played a final build.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #18
Banned

Rogie Vachon's Arena

OVR: 6

Where do they say they`ve included the independant limb control for human goalies?

Nobody who has played the game has said that`s been done.

Hint - there is none for human goalies.

I`ve also never said it was broken.

Poorly concieved and executed,yes......but broken,nope.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Just watched the video....damn!, I'm never going to score.

Seriously though, very glad to see what's being done to curb the cross crease goals. I have to admit when I really needed a goal vs the AI, I'd resort to this pretty cheap tactic. I'm glad to see the game will force me now to be a bit more creative.
but isn't the real problem that you can get those cross crease plays/passes so easily? In real life, those passes go in a HUGE percentage of the time. It's not cheap, its supposed to be hard to get a cross crease and relatively easy to finish.

Not saying this is going to ruin that, but there's a reason its a high percentage play. If this is ever going to be fixed correctly, it needs to be because it becomes harder to get to high scoring chance places on the ice, not because goalies can dive across the crease at warp speed.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie Vachon
Where do they say they`ve included the independant limb control for human goalies?

Nobody who has played the game has said that`s been done.

Hint - there is none for human goalies.

I`ve also never said it was broken.

Poorly concieved and executed,yes......but broken,nope.
Where did EA themselves say they didn't? You understand what the term Alpha software means right? There very well could be no independent limb control for human goalies in the retail build. If that's the case you have a legitimate gripe.

Fact of the matter is, we don't know if it's going to be there for human goalies or not, and I'm sorry but I'm not going to take alpha software as a final determining factor of what will or won't be in the retail build.

Like I said, we don't know if what they've done will be an improvement or not when all is said and done for human tenders until the game ships. Or at the very least if the demo is a close enough to retail build.

Edit: actually according to the description for anticipation, human tenders do indeed have limb control

This year the right stick is used to anticipate a save, allowing the human controlled goalie to prepare for a shot without committing to the save and moving out of position. If the player guesses right they are that much more likely to make the save. Guessing wrong still leaves the goalie with a chance to make a save, but they’re going to be an instant slower which could be costly.

Once committed to a save human controlled goalies will still have the ability to adjust and correct, using their individual limb control to raise a blocker or kick out a pad to make that amazing save.

Last edited by RealmK; 07-08-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 11

If it loks and play like this:... Then i ll be in Heaven! :-))

Last edited by CupCrazyManiac; 07-08-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 4

Players get momentum and friction, goalies remain able to slide without pushing?

Every stride matters, unless you're in net.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #23
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupCrazyManiac
If it loks and play like this:... Then i ll be in Heaven! :-))http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=32qH9RMoiB4
HAHAH no **** right? That's all I ask of EA is to add goalies who move like this. If they ever do, this game will go from a 50% enjoyable all the way up to 90% in my eyes. That's how large this part of the game is to me. To me it would overshadow some of the other flaws the game has.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 07-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #24
Banned

Rogie Vachon's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Where did EA themselves say they didn't? You understand what the term Alpha software means right? There very well could be no independent limb control for human goalies in the retail build. If that's the case you have a legitimate gripe.

Fact of the matter is, we don't know if it's going to be there for human goalies or not, and I'm sorry but I'm not going to take alpha software as a final determining factor of what will or won't be in the retail build.

Like I said, we don't know if what they've done will be an improvement or not when all is said and done for human tenders until the game ships. Or at the very least if the demo is a close enough to retail build.

Edit: actually according to the description for anticipation, human tenders do indeed have limb control

This year the right stick is used to anticipate a save, allowing the human controlled goalie to prepare for a shot without committing to the save and moving out of position. If the player guesses right they are that much more likely to make the save. Guessing wrong still leaves the goalie with a chance to make a save, but they’re going to be an instant slower which could be costly.

Once committed to a save human controlled goalies will still have the ability to adjust and correct, using their individual limb control to raise a blocker or kick out a pad to make that amazing save.
I`m sorry,but you have a reading comprehension problem.

The individual limb movement will be cpu controlled,like the cpu goalies.

When you hear the project lead say "the goalies are 95% done and we`re just tuning them now.."

I take that to mean they figure they are just about done with them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »