Home

Madden: How do you call your passing game?

This is a discussion on Madden: How do you call your passing game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Madden: How do you call your passing game?

In Attack Coverages with the Passing Game, former quarterback and wide receiver coach Steve Axman describes how to use passing concepts and route combinations to attack defenses. The book is a great read and generally, when I follow the advice in the book, I do just fine in the passing game. I have not read Gonzalez's text just yet, and it should provide for some great reading as he deals not only with concepts but applications. Last year, in online franchise, I got away from this type of passing after season one and things went downhill rather quickly. I was enamored with numbers and attempted to adopt the Macaroni style offense. Those in my league will know what I'm referring to. For those not in the league, Macaroni is the nickname of one of our previous members. His passing game numbers were absolutely ridiculous. Some games he would pass for over 600 yards 7 TDs. He had no defense, though. Anyways, I tried to adopt that style and failed. This brings me to the point: establish an identity in your passing attack and stick to it.

Read More - How do you call your passing game?
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden: How do you call your passing game?

I just use a very simple approach. If I see you play a lot of man to man I call plays that would take advantage of that and where a receiver is in a area isolated with a defender. I also love the slot recevier alot in man to man situations.

If you play Zone I like to flood one side of the field with receivers, and take Bill Walsh's approach where I read deep, middle, then short.

This method has worked perfectly for me.

Last edited by Tyrant8RDFL; 07-12-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
My approach is bad lol. I've never been a good passer. I try to know at least two routes that I call and if both are covered I panic. I often panic if the first WR is covered. I also try to know what I want to do with the ball based on whether it's man or zone. Execution differs depending on my panic level. I wish I was better at it but I'm not.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
My approach is bad lol. I've never been a good passer. I try to know at least two routes that I call and if both are covered I panic. I often panic if the first WR is covered. I also try to know what I want to do with the ball based on whether it's man or zone. Execution differs depending on my panic level. I wish I was better at it but I'm not.
Try this. Go to practice mode, and put the defense in a regular man to man. Then run plays against that. A bunch of plays and your vision will open up to it, and the game will slow down.

Then do the same with cover 2 zone, cover 3 then cover 4. You will then see what routes and plays work best against that.

Then finally do zone blitz defenses. These are the ones that can be a little troubling. The corner back will pretty much tell you the zone they are in. Also the safety.

Now to quickly realize if it is man or zone. The LB's give that away. If they shot to cover someone they are in man. If they strafe then they are in zone. DB's tend to jam alot when they are in cover 2 zone. Where in cover 3 or 4 they just run back to cover deep.

Mess with practice mode and the passing game will come to you, and you will be much better at it.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Hahahaha!

Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 3

Even though the current trend across football pretty much favors the pass, I stick with a balanced approach and try to run the ball as much as I pass.

I love getting my TE involved, and almost always call plays with sets including a TE. Come to think of it I think I always call plays with someone in the backfield as well; no empty backfield for me. I just like having the option to dump it off to my halfback.

So I guess I run a "traditional" pro style offense more or less. Kinda boring, but it works for me.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
I try to be as versatile as i can be, i always try to have a strong TE to make a lot of critical plays but i like to run a lot of out routes and slants to get quick passes that result in 5-7 yards per catch, another fall back is the runn back i love to throw to them for a short gain to keep my options out there and if no receiver is open i run with Brady which i like to call Brady Gravy whenever he gets more than 1 yard because he is the slowest QB in the game i feel.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 21

I edit plays at the line of scrimage that can exploit both man to man and zone. But i have to be able to read the coverage quick. I mostly complete passes that you're not suppose to make in Madden.

My favorite formations are iform and strong.....i prefer to be undercenter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »