Home

NHL 13 Video - Defensive Gameplay

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Video - Defensive Gameplay within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #17
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NHL 13 Video - Defensive Gameplay

Preorder done.

This is the video I've been waiting for, wow. I can handle some tape to tape passing, but the looseness of the puck is so much better than the last 3 versions.

That video portrayed hockey, yet still gave it that fun factor look to it.

Like some have already said, they really focused on a ton of gameplay and AI this year, add that to the enhancements to the franchise mode and I think I'm going to be really immersed into the game this year.

Looks like I might have to increase the period time from 10 min periods, which is a great thing.. due to what appears could be less shots on goal.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24

A little thing I noticed in several of the clips was the coaches on the benches. Looks like after every break in play, they change positions and stances. One clip I saw them with their arms crossed behind the bench and on another clip one had one foot up on the bench while it looked like he was talking to a player.

Just a little thing I noticed.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3
I think we're gonna need all the skating tricks we can get if this new A.I. and defensive pressure turns out to be as awesomely powerful and realistic as it looks.

The game needs to be balanced between offense and defense so they want to let the player be tricky with the backskate. I'm fine with that.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #20
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
I mean in the sense of CPU AI gap control. Even on default sliders the AI was doing proper back checks and taking away pucks at center ice and the blue line. Bump that up to SS and it theoretically should be harder to gain the offense zone cleanly without having to dump and forecheck.
I see. I'm hoping a bump up to just All-Star will do the trick. I have a feeling I'll be spending the first week playing this game trying to figure out which difficulty setting to use.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 08-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #21
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Instead of the backward skating I think the LT should be a context-sensitive modifier. If the puck carrier is going too fast or is in too tight a spot, LT should have him shield the puck and stick his butt out to protect it. This would create a stable platform to buy time and space for teammates and create offense without the impossible backward skating tricks shown in the video.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #22
Rookie

Chad0034's Arena

OVR: 2

I liked what I saw a lot. As for the big juiced hitting, sliders will take care of that.

Any idea if we can alter sliders for the GM Connected?

I'm assuming we can.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:51 AM   #23
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Oh ya! Enjoyed watching this one. A focus on AI defensive play was my biggest wish for NHL '13'....and it sure looks like we got it.

One small thing though I'm not too sure I liked was...how fast the players were from standing still and into a back skate. Meaning...they got up to speed awfully fast skating backward. But overall, very pleased with what this video was showing.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad0034
I liked what I saw a lot. As for the big juiced hitting, sliders will take care of that.

Any idea if we can alter sliders for the GM Connected?

I'm assuming we can.
Sadly and this is really my biggest gripe on 13, you can't alter sliders. You can set the type of mode, Casual, pro? Hardcore which prolly changes the base slider settings for GM Connected but you can't make individual slider tweaks. I'll take it though at least for this year and see how it plays out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »