Home

Sound off: How Impressive is Phelps record breaking medal count?

This is a discussion on Sound off: How Impressive is Phelps record breaking medal count? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #17
Madden & NBA 2K fanatic

Joobieo's Arena

OVR: 19
Best winner , not the best athlete in the Olympics .
Old 08-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6
The man plead guilty to smoking an illegal substance. He was video taped for the whole world to see breaking the law; which the American media seems to have forgotten. I won't even begin to discuss the myriad of reasons why HE has been given a pass. Sean Taylor dies, is MURDERED, in his own home and the media brings up everything he's done wrong since he was an adolescent. I think what he has accomplished is phenomenal,.. but NO, he should not be in the conversation of greatest Olympic athletes ever. PERIOD.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
Future EA Game Changer

ImaGamer_OS's Arena

OVR: 0
You have witnessed the Greatest Olympian Of All Time just post a benchmark that we may not see matched in our life times if at all. I can only laugh at those posting from their Ivory Towers or standing on their soap box dissecting the flaws of Michael Phelps the human being (e.g. caught smoking pot). The less said the better as there are so many holes in their argument or "point" attempting to be made here.

How impressive is this achievement from Michael Phelps? Once in a lifetime.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #20
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

OVR: 10
He was good, but not great. One needs to remember that he won eight gold medals and set a few records in 2008 while using a swimsuit that is now banned. Ironically, the swimsuit was released right before the Olympics, so the IOC was unable to properly test it prior to the games. So please don't give me the "it was legal at the time" argument. Also, I'm not saying he wouldn't have won anything in 2008, but we'll never know.

The suit I mentioned is the Speedo LZR Racer and Speedo only let the USA team have the technology.

Greatest Olympian...not in my eyes.

Last edited by Cod; 08-05-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 6
@ImaGamer_OS
Do you feel the same way about the accomplishments of Joe Pa, Sandusky, and the coaching staff of Penn State that were/are incriminated and/or involved in Penn State University's recent scandal? The benchmark they set is also once in a lifetime. Would you open up with them in a discussion of the greatest coaching staff in NCAA football history? If so, you may stop reading, I concede to your consistency. If not, then you must ask yourself, "why not?" And in doing such, any inconsistency between the two is founded in you, yourself, standing upon your own ivory tower or soap box, if you will. My statement was not without vivid example of the difference in treatment from one great athlete to another great athlete, purely based on dissection of the flaws of an individual. A common practice throughout the media. It is done to shape/manipulate audience emotion, causing strong reactions, not unlike your own in defense of Micheal Phelps, so that they, the media, can make money.
Those that proclaim his greatness also stand upon their ivory tower and/or soap box and proclaim it. They choose to ignore his indiscretions while choosing those whom do not meet Mr. Phelps' profile, and/or Mr. Phelps' unique ability to make them money presently, as targets of remembrance of their flaws; because THAT is what makes them more money than the former.
If this is not clear enough, we can freely discuss it in a tactful way outside of this post. I never shy away from the opportunity to be further educated in a subject.
Good day
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #22
Rookie

MoultonHawk's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Sound off: How Impressive is Phelps record breaking medal count?

I think a lot of Phelp's success is due to his body, he's a beast, he has the longest torso I'll ever seen.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #23
Rookie

To you idiots who say it's just swimming, obviously have not taken your butts into a pool and swam 20 laps as fast as you could. Competitive swimming hands down is one of the most enduring and difficult sports of all time. The constant holding breathe to take a breathe, running out of breathe. You have to be an amazing athlete. And to win 18 total golds is downright impossible. He is hands down the greatest Olympian of ALL TIME.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #24
Rookie

now I think Phelps is the best olympian of all time. His 18 golds are 10 more than Mark Spitz's 8 golds.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »