Home

NHL 13 Presentation Video and Blog

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Presentation Video and Blog within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Pro

Nomah5's Arena

OVR: 7
NHL 13 Presentation Video and Blog

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

EA Sports has posted another NHL 13 blog. This one covers the overhaul that has taken place in the presentation department.

The blog talks about many presentation aspects, including graphics, lighting, skate spray, power rings, replays, the new front end and more.

Quote:
Shadows have been completely redone this year as we’ve modeled the stadium lights after their real-world counterparts. What that means is that players can now cast shadows on other players on the ice, something that we’ve never had in the series before.

True Performance Skating changed the way we animated our skaters. With those changes in animation we also reworked skate spray this year adding procedural skate spray. This means that skate spray in based on velocity, angle, and relative direction of skate movement to the player.

Skate spray also now sticks to players, goalies, boards and the glass.

The arena power rings have also been overhauled adding:
  • Full animation
  • Context – PowerRings now react to situations such as Home Goals, Home/Away Powerplays, Home Wins and more.
  • Lighting – the light cast from Power Rings now affects the lighting of elements around them. They also more closely simulate real-world LED screens.
NHL 13 also includes a new gameplay camera the True Broadcast Camera which replicates a real world broadcast camera. Unlike the Broadcast camera, the True Broadcast camera is anchored in place and moves, swivels and zooms like to better simulate hockey coverage on television. Users can also now select multiple gameplay cameras as their shootout and penalty shot camera.

Source - Presentation Overhaul – NHL 13
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
EA Game Changer

LuGer33's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: The presentation trailer

One thing the trailer doesn't really show are the real time cutscenes, but the blog goes into nice detail:

http://www.easports.com/nhl/news/art...verhaul-nhl-13

The broadcast camera looks amazing. I am sure quite a few people here at OS are going to be really, really happy w/ that.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Wow! Shocked how good things look.

I'm also very impressed by the little details they've added like ice spray on the glass and jerseys, and stuff like players adjusting pads after delivering a hit.

It's the addition of minor details like that as well as competently improving core gameplay that lets you know the devs really care about their project.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 31

LOVE LOVE LOVE The revamped commentary. Having Gary and Bill realistically break down a goal rather than tossing out a 4 year old scripted one liner is going to be so huge for me when it comes to atmosphere. Hearing that they've actually successfully added situational dialog, like breaking down a late period go ahead goal, and highlighting a player in regards to what has gone on in that particular game, Stamkos taking lots of one timers for example, or say a Seidenberg blocking alot of shots that night is excellent.

I'm also surprised and impressed by how good the new lighting engine looks. Didn't expect much of a upgrade in visuals, I already thought the game looked great anyways but wow that lighting is impressive imo. THANK YOU EA may I please have demo nao?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
MVP

Jonesey's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NHL 13 Presentation Overhaul Blog

Wow. I hate getting my hopes up, but once again the EA hype machine has me wishing for September 11th.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

Everything looks great...you can really see the effort and improvement they have put into the presentation. It's been a long time coming, but kudos certainly look to be in order.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Relentless

Weapon X's Arena

OVR: 5

Very happy to see a confirmation that they did indeed included CBP and the 2012 Winter Classic, and that they didn't get rid of Heinz Field either. The new front end menus look really sharp too.

WX
Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Pro

I3RIS3H's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon X
Very happy to see a confirmation that they did indeed included CBP and the 2012 Winter Classic, and that they didn't get rid of Heinz Field either. The new front end menus look really sharp too.

WX
Totally agree. It is going to be a very fresh feeling moving away from those black menus that we've had for at least 2 or 3 years now.
NCAA: Kansas Jayhawks

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »