Home

NHL 13 Behind the Scenes - Creating True Performance Skating

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Behind the Scenes - Creating True Performance Skating within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Creating True Performance Skating - NHL 13 Behind the Scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Refreshing to see someone with an insider perspective. I've been guilty myself of thinking "how hard could it be to simply add ______? Maybe EA's just lazy"!

Very good post!
I think we've all been guilty of that. However, most of my "add this or that" has to do with simple graphical elements. Something that doesn't involve, at least to my knowledge, a ton of code.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 08-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 10

My problem here is it looks like there's nothing new but "animations" i.e., there is no real momentum, just more scripted movements. How is it possible a game from 2010 could do this but this one can't?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #19
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
Agreed!

I am a Computer Science student so I, and anyone else who has worked with coding, understand how difficult some of this stuff can be.

Hell, some of my simple homework assignments (programs) run about 50-100 lines of code, and sometimes I spend hours trying to fix something wrong with a program. I can't IMAGINE how complicated things get when these guys are dealing with hundreds of thousands of lines of code.

I would imagine it's frustrating for them at times when people complain and say "add this" or "add that!" like it's a simple thing, when in all actuality it may be very complicated.
Are you at the U? I'm an E.E. student there.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #20
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
Are you at the U? I'm an E.E. student there.
Yep! I'm sure we have crossed paths somewhere around the CSci building at some point, lol

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 08-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
My problem here is it looks like there's nothing new but "animations" i.e., there is no real momentum, just more scripted movements. How is it possible a game from 2010 could do this but this one can't?
Its not just animations. When going full speed, you won't be able to turn as sharply. Forcing a tight turn will result in losing balance and falling. Top speed also effected other things like shot accuracy. They've also mentioned going in a controlled glide quite a few times. Hopefully that means there is some momentum to the skating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #22
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincan
Its not just animations. When going full speed, you won't be able to turn as sharply. Forcing a tight turn will result in losing balance and falling. Top speed also effected other things like shot accuracy. They've also mentioned going in a controlled glide quite a few times. Hopefully that means there is some momentum to the skating.
Yes...these are imo some big time adds to the heart of the gameplay. And very worth while things that this dev cycle will bring.

Imo, with EAC digging seemingly pretty deep into the mechanics of how the game will be played, that's pretty impressive. Especially if it's done well, and while playing vs the cpu...it's hopefully obvious that the AI is dealing with the same physics limitations as the User is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »