Home

NHL 13 Demo Video - True Performance Skating Tutorial

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Demo Video - True Performance Skating Tutorial within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL 13 Demo Video - True Performance Skating Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
I don't understand why you always harp on this, Gagnon. They just do it in these videos to show the functionality. It's not like the AI is going to be figure skating out there and skating backwards after every other stride. (However, if that is the case, then we have something to complain about, lol)

And like we've heard from a couple people with inside info, players will lose the puck much easier when skating backwards, so I don't think it will be the online exploit that some on here do.
It won't be. People like to have things to complain about for the sake of it. Just look at the Madden demo thread, half the people in there say it's great, the other half think it's garbage.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 24

I think this looks great, but definitely still needs some tweaking - especially backwards skating. Excited for the release.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
24 Forever

mike24forever's Arena

OVR: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
So how do you suggest they do it? Make the player lose the puck every 2 seconds causing the game to be an never ending turnover fest with zero flow? It's never going to be 100% realistic. That's just how it is. At the end of the day it's a video game.
Realm, you as so correct.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3
The skating looks incredible. I can't wait to try it. You have to bend down and glide wide while turning at full speed It looks like stopping and starting finally has an accel/deceleration piece to it. The turning animations are very realistic, the player stride is much more textbook to real life. Coasting to gain stick handling/shooting accuracy is a nice touch. Just watching giroux skate a circle drill forward and backwards looks very nice. The push puck isn't perfect, but it isn't terrible.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Looks pretty solid to me.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0
Everything done thus far looks great! the fact that pucks are much looser should give relief to concerns on back skating and the puck "being glued to the stick" at top speeds. Everyone wants 100% authentic game, but the truth is that it would be a horrible experience. You'd have to play full 20 minutes periods to have something more than a 1-0 game. Everyone would complain because they'd never have control of the puck. I think ea has done a great at getting the feel of a hockey game with enough "arcadeness" that while not realistic, you don't feel as though it's unrealistic either. This is shaping up to be the most complete game yet and can't wait to play!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
I don't understand why you always harp on this, Gagnon. They just do it in these videos to show the functionality. It's not like the AI is going to be figure skating out there and skating backwards after every other stride. (However, if that is the case, then we have something to complain about, lol)

And like we've heard from a couple people with inside info, players will lose the puck much easier when skating backwards, so I don't think it will be the online exploit that some on here do.
I guess you don't plan on playing online. This will be exploited, mark my words. Other than that, the game looks fantastic.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

The new push puck animation from the Demo Tutorial Video looks *really* bad. Like NBA Elite 11 levels of bad. The puck magically pulls back with the stick to make it look magnetized (which goes against "the puck is looser" comments we've seen in other videos). I don't buy the idea that they can't fix it. Even if the puck isn't really loose they can still make the animation in a way such that the puck doesn't slide backwards.

Furthermore I wonder if thats the new push puck mechanic or if you can still do it manually with LB to get bigger pushes (great for avoiding opponents). I remember the first year Push Puck was introduced it was an awesome mechanic and it let you smoothly tab LB without losing momentum, but a year or two later it was changed such that you could only tap LB once because if you tried to do it multiple times your player would slow down to catch the puck before doing it again. I'd really like to see the former way because thats more realistic.

On another note, I'm really intrigued to see how the poke check works this year. One thing that has bothered me in years past is that in years past you haven't really been able to adjust the reach of your player, only the angle that they are pointing the stick. And players also automatically go into a glide when pokechecking which puts them at a severe disadvantage. The one thing 2K did great in the latter years was penalty killing because defenders could pokecheck freely while moving their feet and it felt and looked a lot more realistic.

By the way, I'm not undermining the freaking incredible work they've done this year, but as this game gets better and better and better every year, every little mistake gets more and more noticeable. Overall, everything else looks and sounds fantastic this year. They may also need to work a bit on players getting checked animations (there seems to be a lot of flopping), but thats the only other major complaint I have about gameplay.

Last edited by infinityBCRT; 08-14-2012 at 07:54 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »