Home

NHL 13 Demo Video - True Performance Skating Tutorial

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Demo Video - True Performance Skating Tutorial within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #25
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NHL 13 Demo Video - True Performance Skating Tutorial

That looks awesome. Finally, an EA Sports game that cares about momentum and movement. I used to be a big hockey fan like alot of you on this forum, back in the day. I may have to get back into the game/sport, as this seems to be a great game for a franchise player like me.

Perhaps not being totally up on everything in the sport, would make me nitpick less.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #26
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I guess you don't plan on playing online. This will be exploited, mark my words. Other than that, the game looks fantastic.
That's not a valid argument. The game is already too much programmed because of online glitching that it makes the game offline poor.

Exhibit A : If AI goalies are too good, kids who play online will whine like crazy because they can't score 20 goals in 15 minutes of play. EA will tone down the goalie, making it a Kraft Cheese Fest. The result offline will be a game totally out of control.

Exhibit B : The AI can't be too good online because teams who play with only 2 human would gain an advantage on 6 humans on the same team. Solution, EA screw the AI online last year, making more dumb than Chad Johnson, and therefore, advantage goes to human players. The problem with that is if you play offline, with player luck, the AI is playing like a Novice A who was just put on skates for the first time.

Online is a jungle. Any little thing that someone can exploit will be exploited online. Want to do a list? Board play, curve shots, pushing the puck, goalie interference, etc, etc, etc.

All you have to do when playing online is too start with the premisse that if you had the option to sell your mother to gain an advantage, half the guys would do it while the other half wouldn't because they have sold her to gain an advantage online in a One-Person Shooter game like Gears or Call of Duty.

In fact, online players are like politicians. You know there's some who are honest and play the game without cheating, but you never see them, since there's so tired of sharks playing in the same water that they go back to something else.

The only way to avoid glitching and exploits online is to program two bars with a square ball and when the opponent's can't stop the ball, you get a point. Well, it's called Pong, but it was working.

Enough said about online playing!

As for the video, I find it interesting and the slowing down on turns was more than needed. That game is playing too much like Ice Capades, it's good that they implement this. On the other side, the pucked glued to stick is a problem, but I need to see more when there's pressure on a player. Even the best puck handler in the game lose the puck when there's too much traffic, it would be nice to have something like this but...I don't want a turnover fest with NHL guys, that would make CHL players lose the puck every seconds and a turnover fest is worse than a puck glued to the stick fest.

Last edited by FBeaule04; 08-15-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 10

he's got the puck on a string! literally!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

I really liked what I saw.
Yes, it does look funny with the puck hanging on the stick like a magnet, but as long as this is only the case with elite puck handlers, I can live with it.

Regarding the backward skating stuff, I liked what I saw as well.
However, I am concerned that the CPU is going to exploit this.

In NHL08 all the way thru to NHL12, how many times did we see the CPU go like a bat out of hell into the corner, only to collect the puck, move backward, pivot and head up ice without any loss of momentum or the puck?
With the new skating physics I believe that play is dead now (hopefully), but I am a bit concerned that the CPU will get boosts and allow scrubs to make unbelievable and unrealistic pivot moves in close-quarters.

I don't believe that's an unwarranted concern considering EA's track record of granting 4th line scrubs god-like abilities on the higher difficulty settings.

It would really suck if we saw George Parro's pulling Denis Savard-type moves in the slot on a regular basis.

But I'm going to wait and see.
I had pretty much written off this series after NHL12 came out but now I'm genuinely excited for the demo to drop.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #29
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15

Don't play online
Old 08-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 10

Problem with the "don't play online" argument is that's what the game has been geared towards since the beginning of the EASHL. Comparatively the offline mode additions/improvements have been minimal. So therefore you'd think they'd put a little QA on the online modes that they focus so much on.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Problem with the "don't play online" argument is that's what the game has been geared towards since the beginning of the EASHL. Comparatively the offline mode additions/improvements have been minimal. So therefore you'd think they'd put a little QA on the online modes that they focus so much on.
To be fair it appears the offline game got quite a ton of love this year across the board. Granted we still need to see how it plays, and it's kinda a shame the sliders are locked for the demo.

We have gotten bits and pieces to GM mode the last couple years, action tracker, UFA/RFA's etc. but I can't disagree the offline modes were a bit neglected with EASHL being their main focus.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #32
Rookie

BiGVaTeR--'s Arena

OVR: 2

Looks awesome cant wait to try out the demo and by the way RealmK love your forum avatar is awesome i went to the Bruins championship parade it was sick only team i use EA NHL games

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »