Home

NHL 13 Ratings - Eastern Conference Player and Team Ratings

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Ratings - Eastern Conference Player and Team Ratings within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NHL 13 Ratings - Eastern Conference Player and Team Ratings

I like that the teams are all bunched up. That's the reality of the league right now. With the parity in the league there's not a lot of difference between the top and bottom.

Overall ratings are overrated anyway. Usually, teams with higher end superstars are always tougher to play against. I'm sure the Pens will be a tough opponent with Crosby and Malkin even though their overall is the same as many other teams.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
Didn't they say they were getting away from that? They used Parros as an example of how he was an 80 last year as a good enforcer but now he is being rated for the overall package him brings to the ice which makes him a 68 or whatever he is this year.

EDIT: found the quote.
...I stand corrected.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
Didn't they say they were getting away from that? They used Parros as an example of how he was an 80 last year as a good enforcer but now he is being rated for the overall package him brings to the ice which makes him a 68 or whatever he is this year.

EDIT: found the quote.
I believe their explanation was by bringing more traits to the forefront, players would behave more as they should, rather than just a focus on shooting, checking, speed, they made other traits more important as well.

I agree that I would like to see more spread out overalls for the NHL teams, but with all the other leagues they have in the game, CHL, AHL etc. I can see why they do it the way they do in a way. At any rate, seeing NHL'ers rated in the low 70's and some in the 60's to me is a huge improvement and should affect how they perform on the ice.

It's also awesome to see that neither Savard nor Thomas appear to be on the Bruins default roster.

Again it's a wait and see how it plays and where the player separation is at in the current build but I'm hopeful at this point. With all the work they say they put in this year, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they delivered on player separation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #12
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Hopefully it will play out well but I'm with most of you guys. I'd like to see a bigger discrepancy. This has been the reason that the standings are always a crap-shoot. Too many teams are too close together in terms of skill/rankings.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

Its based on global settings, so WHY THE HECK IS RENE BOURQUE AN 84?! So he's better than a lot of decent players (Derek Stepan, for example).

Brodeur at an 82 is also quite disappointing.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #14
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Does anyone else think that EA should just get rid of the overall player rating? I honestly think they should just have a meter showing how good a player is. So exactly like what The Show has. Their ratings are based on how good a player is at certain attributes. The more attributes that they have a high rating for, the more the meter will be full. So in other words just because a guy's meter is only a little past half full, doesn't mean he isn't good at anything. It may mean he's a really good faceoff man but doesn't have great puck handling/skating/shooting etc. A player like Crosby would be almost completely full because he's an all around great player. I think EA just needs to focus more on what each player is good at in order to bring out the resemblance of how they play in real life.

Maybe this rating system translates better to baseball, but I think it would be a good idea for EA to look at. I just think too much emphasis is being put on the OVR of a player. Ultimately it should really be about the ratings of each attribute that make the player good or bad. Zenon Knopka is a pretty good faceoff man so put his faceoff at 85 but knock his shooting, dekeing, puck handling, etc. down in the 60 range because he's not a goal scorer. If each attribute were emphasized it would also add into the strategy of the game with playing the proper lines at proper times. That's what hockey is all about. Mixing and matching in order to take control of a game, or counter your opponent.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 08-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

First of all, player separation needs to be greater. Use the full 0-99 scale. Overalls for players should look something like the following:

CHL Players: 0-40
Euro League Players: 0-50
AHL Players: 30-50
NHL Players: 50-99

Second of all, team separation needs to be greater. There is no way the Flyers (even though I love them) should have the same rating for goaltending as the Rangers. And speaking of the Flyers, their offense is rated a 4 while their defense and goaltending got a 4.5. Their offense should be a 4.5, defense should be around a 3, and goaltending around a 2.5.

Third of all, so many players are WAYYY overrated. I'd give all the examples, but it's just way too much for one post. Taking the Flyers for example:

1. The fact that Blair Betts is even on the team anymore is stupid. He's not even under contract.
2. Bryzgalov being an 86 is absurd after that horrible performance last year.
3. Rinaldo is way too high. He should be the worst player on the Flyers.
4. Chris Pronger should not even be there. He will not play, end of story.
5. Pretending that Pronger is not there, Coburn being the best defender on the Flyers is just wrong. Timonen is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #16
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
First of all, player separation needs to be greater. Use the full 0-99 scale. Overalls for players should look something like the following:

CHL Players: 0-40
Euro League Players: 0-50
AHL Players: 30-50
NHL Players: 50-99

Second of all, team separation needs to be greater. There is no way the Flyers (even though I love them) should have the same rating for goaltending as the Rangers. And speaking of the Flyers, their offense is rated a 4 while their defense and goaltending got a 4.5. Their offense should be a 4.5, defense should be around a 3, and goaltending around a 2.5.

Third of all, so many players are WAYYY overrated. I'd give all the examples, but it's just way too much for one post. Taking the Flyers for example:

1. The fact that Blair Betts is even on the team anymore is stupid. He's not even under contract.
2. Bryzgalov being an 86 is absurd after that horrible performance last year.
3. Rinaldo is way too high. He should be the worst player on the Flyers.
4. Chris Pronger should not even be there. He will not play, end of story.
5. Pretending that Pronger is not there, Coburn being the best defender on the Flyers is just wrong. Timonen is.
I know what you are saying but they can't cap the CHL or European leagues at a certain number because some of those guys are good enough to hold their own in the NHL. I'll use Dougie Hamilton a 2011 1st rounder for the Bruins as an example. He's good enough to play in the NHL right now. It would be stupid to cap him at 40 OVR just for the sake of spreading out guys. This is something they did in years previous that I did not agree with. Mikael Granlund for example (2010 Minnesota 1st rounder) was terrible in NHL 12 when he was arguably one of the best players not playing in the NHL.

They need to use a "case by case" basis for ratings. Just rate the player for what he is and not what league he's playing in. One thing that really irked me the past couple years is they would just bump up rookies for no reason other than they were playing in the NHL and not the CHL. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was like a 75 on the default rosters last year and just because he made the Edmonton roster they bumped him up to 83 without even playing a game!!! That's just ridiculous IMO. He should have been an 83 to start (based on what other players were rated. Meanwhile a guy like Jonathan Huberdeau who is talented enough to play in the NHL, but needed an extra year to bulk up, is rated a 70 just because he's playing in the CHL. Sorry for the rant, its just something that bugs me.

Last edited by gator3guy; 08-16-2012 at 11:48 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »