Home

NHL 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360, PS3)

This is a discussion on NHL 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360, PS3) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NHL 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360 Now, PS3 Later Today)

Seems pretty solid, the AI is tougher. I wonder if they worked on it more than the last 3 years combined? I still have my winger bumping into me on rushes though. I'm also not liking the goalies play on the short side. Even when there's no one in the slot, he doesn't hug the post or even play the post. I got scored on because my goalie went into butterfly and left short side wide open.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
Pro

SeaNNyT's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NHL 13 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here (360 Now, PS3 Later Today)

Things I like
-The better lighting looks more authentic, combined with the True broadcast camera angle, looks sweet.
.The player models seem way more appropriately scaled and real.
-The skating feels way more real and can lead to some interesting 3 on 2 breaks or other breakaway moments.

Things I don't like
-Your AI defenders still might be a few feet from the puck and make no attempt to go for it, so you have to click on them, but by then the opposing AI probably has picked up the loose puck.
-Even on Hardcore the opposing AI can tape to tape pass way up ice.
-The hitting still seems unrealistic
-The stick and puck physics need a overhaul (probably won't happen until next gen)
-The goalie on fast breaks seems to win most of the time. An unreal level of winning.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24

Just finished playing 10 games on All Star - Normal. I'm loving the demo so far. Skating took only a game or two to get used to. Really loving how you feel your players momentum and weight in each stride and while turning. You definitely can't turn on a dime anymore.

As for passing, there was A LOT of missed passes and a lot of passes that were intercepted. So we should have no fear of laser passes. At least, that's what I noticed when I was playing.

I recorded some gameplay, so I may post some of it a bit later today. I've only done the Play Now stuff, haven't gone into HUT or NHL Moments yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm not a gold member so I'm going to have a wait a week to get my hands on the demo. But I'm curious, can you try out coach mode in the demo? That mode has me intrigued.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Stupid download took over 40 minutes so I could only get in half a period before racing to work.
The skating is definitely a big change and one that can take some time getting used to. But it's for the better as you can certainly feel the differences between good, bad and fast & slow skaters.

I want to get more time with it tonight because I really want to see if the new skating physics causes the CPU to experience the same limitations that the user does.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
MVP

Jonesey's Arena

OVR: 18

I am broadcasting live at http://ustre.am/NuYd nhl 13 demo
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

Here's my post off the EA boards:
Quote:
Platform
Xbox

Pros
- You can dump and chase now
- Hitting is the best I've seen it
- The skating physics are good
- Opponent AI is much better
- Stick collisions blocking shots
- Goalies are better

Cons
- Your teammate's AI is garbage. They are often out of position out taking a cruise or something, and often skating in the wrong direction. This means when you take control you are having to do wild turns and get scored on anyways.
- Player models as always are way off.. Was better in NHL 06 to be brutally honest. Stoll looks like a 15 year old goof.
- Drew Doughty gets beat to the puck by every single forward on the devils, even when I spam LS 3 times. TERRIBLE.
- Many terrible penalties taken by team AI.
- Pressing A unless in the absolute perfect position = penalty
- Opposition AI gets away with interference/tripping/crosschecking in front of the net so far 100% of the time. I've played probably 20 periods.

Overall Comments
I really want to like this game, I haven't bought it since NHL 10(which was a mistake as well.)
But having players like Stamkos/Doughty/Tavares/Malkin stripped and out raced to the puck by AHL and CHL players shows a terrible stat team or it means that stats don't do anything. Sure Colin Fraser misses the puck 70% of the time he takes a slapshot, but I wasn't aware that he could out-skate anyone on the Devils backend.
Teammate AI and the useless stats make this game and instant no buy for me. Sad because I really miss playing this game.
I'm not buying this one.
The engine is definitely amazing but the terrible team AI and the fact that star player Drew Doughty is slower than every Devil when racing back for dump-ins.
Incredibly disappointed I've been starved of a good NHL game for too many years..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
Rookie

blinkfan77's Arena

OVR: 7

Incredibly lame that they stop you from going to OT.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »