Home

Sound Off: Unwritten Rules Good or Bad for the Game?

This is a discussion on Sound Off: Unwritten Rules Good or Bad for the Game? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sound Off: Unwritten Rules Good or Bad for the Game?

Unwritten rules.

You'll find them in most every sport. They crop up and make appearances often, and controversy ensues about how audacious someone was for breaking them or how they were just playing the game how it should be played. Cue up this past weekend and Greg Schiano's order to have his players rush Eli Manning on a kneel down. On the surface, the play was simply playing football how it should be played: to win until the very final whistle. On the other, the game was for all intents and purposes lost and you only risked injury for everyone involved in a seemingly fruitless play.

So OS, what do you think? Are unwritten rules such as not going full speed on a kneel down important? Or, like Napoleon, should they become a part of history? Could they ever?

Sound off!
Platform: Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
There's no such thing as "unwritten rules". It's either a rule or it's not. I see nothing wrong with a team playing till the very end. Teams don't get "bonus plays" just because it's the end of the game and you're ahead. As soon as that ball is snapped its a live play, you're either ready or you arn't. Don't like that the other team is going to play it out, then don't kneel the ball. Nothing is expected from the opposing team when it comes to a kneel down so if your team is not ready, then that's on your team. For some a coach to get angry for the other team playing to the end says a lot about that coach. He expected the Bucs to lay down but in that game, that was not the case. So prepare your team better Coughlin.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 19
disagree with WAT3 said.
unwritten rules are technically rules that govern good sportsmanship. In the situation this past weekend, the game was lost. The only thing that could have happened was a player may have gotten injured.
A precedent was set this weekend, and it may change the sportsmanship philosophy in NFL football.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 30
I get unwritten rules and sportsmanship but I also understand that the game is technically not over. Like it's already been said by at least one former NFLer, Mike Golic, usually, the team kneeling says something to the other and their is usually an agreement...but if the other team doesn't agree AND hunkers down low and tight like the Bucs did, the Giants shoulda seen it coming been prepared.to protect the ball and QB.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Then they might as well make a rule that if a winning team has the ability to run out the clock based upon downs and timeouts left for the losing team, then just end the game right there. Why go through the motions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Banned

PatriotJames's Arena

OVR: 20
I see NO problem with what the Buccs did. Nobody would be saying this was bad if Eli would have fumbled the ball and the Buccs recovered. They would be saying what a brilliant call it was. Maybe the lineman should be more prepared and the QB. Also, if the Buccs were down by more than 1 possession, yes this would be in bad taste.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Pro

thbends's Arena

OVR: 9
I say... Hit Eli so hard his lazy eye straightens out. Game ain't over till its over.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3
I can't seriously believe that people are suggesting this a "cheap" play. It boggles the mind and demonstrates what's wrong with the NFL today. How can you seriously call a 100% legal opportunity to win the game, even if a long shot, cheap?

Ludicrous.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »