Home

Sound Off: Unwritten Rules Good or Bad for the Game?

This is a discussion on Sound Off: Unwritten Rules Good or Bad for the Game? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 8
People that are saying this isn't a cheap call don't understand the game of football. You kneel the ball to run out the clock at the end of the game if you have the lead. You do this for a number of reasons; to make sure no one gets hurt, not run up the score, etc. This is a man's game, not a game for cry babies. What schiano did was classless. (Oh ya and I'm a Patriots fan)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by keator
The bucs laid down the whole second half, so they finally decided to play with 10 seconds to go. This is just another example of a college coach trying to bring that college crap to the NFL.
What college crap ? I get that people want to call it a "victory formation", but its not just an attempt to show respect. It's naive to overlook the fact that teams also don't want to risk a turnover.

Sent from my Desire HD
Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Sound Off: Unwritten Rules Good or Bad for the Game?

Too bad the Bucs werent going all in when they allowed Andre Brown to walk into the endone untouched or when they let the sorry Giant offense sore 25 in one quarter. It wasnt illegal it was embarrassingly desperate.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #28
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17

You could argue it was a poor decision by Coughlin to leave Eli out there with 5 seconds left just to take a knee. If his so worried about Eli getting hurt, then put Carr out there.

Greg Schiano is just trying to make his team play tough. He doesn't want them to be soft. You think it's ok to say to your coach "Hey, there's no point in trying here.. They have won this". I would bench that guy for a quarter or a whole game. It's not over till it's over. That's the attitude he wants that team to have. More teams should follow suit. It's a mans game, people get hurt. They wasn't intentionally trying to injure anyone.

I've seen Giants fans saying "Well, you would be unhappy if someone tried to knock your quarterback out with 5 seconds left". As I said, they weren't trying to injure anyone. And they should be more mad at Coughlin for leaving Eli out there. I would be.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
Too bad the Bucs werent going all in when they allowed Andre Brown to walk into the endone untouched or when they let the sorry Giant offense sore 25 in one quarter. It wasnt illegal it was embarrassingly desperate.
They let him walk in, because they had no time outs and NY was trying to keep it out of the end zone. They could have killed the clock, kicked a field goal and never let Tampa Bay get the back. The play before that, they even elected to fall down instead of going on in the end zone, because they were playing to win the game...
Edit: this is assuming you are referring to NYs last score of the game. Otherwise, overlook my post.
Sent from my Desire HD
Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 28
Unwritten rules are good. I agree that they are a self-check for sportsmanship, more or less don't do something to injur someone. I have no love for unwritten rules where it is suggested teams stop trying to win.

Case in point. A few years ago the SF Giants had a no-hitter going into the ninth. The Padres were down 1-0 and the leadoff hitter broke it up with a bunt single. Bruce Boche was livid. I love Boche but gimme a break.

With the Bucs-Giants, I agree it was a good attempt to try and create a fumble. Screw Coughlin and his crybaby ***.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 13

Look up the Miracle at the Meadowlands from 1978 to see why they take knees in the first place, and look at this game to see why you don't just stand around on ANY play during the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #32
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
I get unwritten rules and sportsmanship but I also understand that the game is technically not over. Like it's already been said by at least one former NFLer, Mike Golic, usually, the team kneeling says something to the other and their is usually an agreement...but if the other team doesn't agree AND hunkers down low and tight like the Bucs did, the Giants shoulda seen it coming been prepared.to protect the ball and QB.
This! I had several games when I played high school and if we were down or whatever the lines would talk it out. No one gets hurt and they know you are going to try for the ball. Sportsmanship is solved. They should have known right from the three point stance what was going to happen though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »