Home

Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 Review (360/PS3)

This is a discussion on Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 Review (360/PS3) within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 Review (360/PS3)

PES 2013 is the game that PES 2012 wanted to be, but for various reasons couldn’t.

So it comes as no surprise that when you fire up the game for the first time, not much looks different on the surface. Visually, the game is similar to PES 2012 (and 2011, and 2010), and the gameplay also feels very much the same. But, as all PES aficionados can attest to, first impressions are deceiving with the franchise. PES 2013's depth, as is the case again this year, never truly surfaces until you’re ten or twenty games in.

And yes, the gameplay, as it turns out, is different from PES 2012. And for the most part it's better. However, the laser-like focus on gameplay means that other aspects of the game are starting to show its age. The result? A lot of fun on the pitch, but just a tad less impressive off of it.

Read More - Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 Review (360/PS3)
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
MVP

ps3veron's Arena

OVR: 11
Great review! Covered everything perfectly and right score too.

The commentary is indeed dreadful but the core mechanics represent the sport very well.

Good year to be a soccer fan!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 Review (360/PS3)

Good review Chris, enjoyed the read.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Fair review. FIFA looks fantastic and has all the bells and whistles, but PES has won its way back into my heart this year after spending lots of time with both games. On the pitch, it's just more fun, period. Better defense, better passing, more diversity in styles of play, and most importantly, a much wider variety of goals scored. I agree with Chris about rarely feeling that the CPU has scored a cheap goal, whereas in FIFA I'm convinced that the ball is magnetized to the CPUs feet at times, especially if they're trailing late. How many goals really come from deflections in the box? C'mon.

I also find the presentation to be quite charming in its simplicity. I guess I am just a long, long time Konami fan and their Japanese presentation style is very nostalgic to me. The replays are very well done and far more frequent, and I have always loved how they take you right into a free cam replay after each goal. All in all, great game, but lacking enough features to warrant the 8.0.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0
The most important part of every game is gameplay, PES on the right path, next year Konami will drop the bomb.
But what about player id and barselona feels like barselona staff?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0
For me PES is second sport great game after NBA2k. Level of authenticity of this game is very high and what else is needed? Finally, gameplay wise games win the battle.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 Review (360/PS3)

PES is outstanding on the pitch, and guess what, no sliders needed. I am playing 15 min on Professional and having realistic stats, and different types of matches. With a great OF by Daymos I get all the realism I need, including Champions League and Europa Cup. I started ML with Spurs in EPL and my 1st three matches went like this:

Friendly: Moscow at Spurs
I won 3-2 in this warm up, still trying to get use to defense control, and yes if done correctly you can play defense, as well as AI defense playing good. I had a goal by dempsey - header on free kick, assist by dempsey to lennon in the box, and a screamer by bale just outside the box.

Champions League playoff: 1st leg
Spurs at Marlaga( i think)
I won 1-0, on a own goal, dempsey lofted one to the box, defender tried to head it away, same time goalie ran into him, and ball bounced in goal.

Premier League - fixture 1
Spurs at Swansea city
10 minutes in I lose a defender to a red card, this really hurt, as 5 minutes later I accidently knock in a own goal on a free kick rebound. I had many close call goals, but never knocked one in, swansea got another goal late, as i was pushing everyone up trying to get equalizer.

Every game different, and outstanding on pitch, seen CPU team holding ball, switching, back passing, trying to possess, attacking, outstanding.

Never see any of this consistently in FIFA.

Last edited by Hunkerdown; 10-02-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2
Spot on review. When it comes down to it, gameplay trumps all else, and as you mentioned this is where PES is king. There's something immensely enjoyable about the unpredictability of the matches. You can play a miserable match where everything you do seems to be a misstep which you're harshly punished for, next match you can come right back with a flawless 5-0 thumping of your opponent, and in the third match you may grind out a 0-0 draw which in some small way feels like a victory in its own right. For all the razzle dazzle that FIFA brings to the table it just doesn't compare in this regard. Viva PES!

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »