Home

F1 2012 Review (360/PS3)

This is a discussion on F1 2012 Review (360/PS3) within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
F1 2012 Review (360/PS3)

Codemasters has turned their F1 games into an annual release, and F1 2012 looks to add on to the success of the first two games with new modes and the same gameplay fans have come to know.

However, the game might have used a playbook that played it too safe this year.

Read More - F1 2012 Review (360/PS3)
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: F1 2012 Review (360/PS3)

That was a very solid review. Personally, I rate the game an 8.25. I really prefer it to F12010 and 2011, despite any changes. And I like the added modes and the young driver test, which was very helpful to me.

The polished up graphics and menus are really nice, too. I'm having fun with 2012.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
MVP

ps3veron's Arena

OVR: 11
Still a good game but being a casual F1 fan I found this far too similar to last year's iteration.

Great review though, the " eerily similar to last year" just sums it up.

But then again what can they do? Its F1 after all, same rules (more or less), same cars, one or two new tracks. I really think Codies need to do a once every two years type release for these games, they are getting stale.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8
They could continue working on the physics. The cars *still* look, at times, like slot cars. When the cars turn it's not really evident that the tires are gripping the surface, and it should be. It's as if the cars are spinning on a pin.

Also, there still isn't a lot of immersion to the product. When you are in the cockpit and looking at things from a driver's perspective you should really feel like you're in a death trap hugging the surface with all sorts of noise around you, and I don't feel that.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
All Star

OVR: 20

Codemasters should add some historic cars and tracks to the game, much like 2K does with vintage teams for the NBA series.

And for Christ's sake, return a season mode, all three practice sessions and scalable tire wear to the 2013 version of the game!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
Codemasters should add some historic cars and tracks to the game, much like 2K does with vintage teams for the NBA series.

And for Christ's sake, return a season mode, all three practice sessions and scalable tire wear to the 2013 version of the game!
Bolded part sounds great! Never thought of that...would love to see that in a future F1 game.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 10-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 33
Totally agree with the summary. I would probably rate it 7. As mentioned there really only marginal improvements from F1 2011. More annoyingly the same weaknesses of earlier title still exist. The game really fails to capture the atmosphere & prestige of F1 events.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
All Star

OVR: 20

My biggest complaint with this series is the apparent schizophrenia Codemasters is suffering with the grip model.

Last year's game had too much oversteer due to excessive front-end grip. But at least that abundance of traction gave players the feeling of connection with the asphalt until they inevitably swapped ends.

Codemasters probably heard the complaints about oversteer and typically overreacted, as this year's game features far too much understeer. The annoying byproduct of that programming decision is a lack of front-end grip, which kills the feel of driving.

I didn't play F1 2010, but F1 2011 and 2012 both have lacked a feeling of "weight" generated by mechanical and aerodynamic grip. F1 cars generate enough downforce at 150 mph to run on the ceiling of a wind tunnel.

Yet the steering in F1 2011 and 2012 -- especially this year's game -- is far too light. You never get the sense you're driving a 1,300-pound race car with bags of grip through either a proper physics model or force feedback through the controller.

That doesn't mean the car should be connected to the track like a slot car. But it shouldn't feel light. It should feel violent.

Formula 1: Championship Edition was able to simulate both grip and weight BEAUTIFULLY in 1998 on the PlayStation. Fourteen years later, and the physics of F1 console games seem to have regressed.

So much for progress.

Last edited by pk500; 10-05-2012 at 01:53 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »