Home

Steve Lyons Replacing Dave Campbell in MLB 13 The Show

This is a discussion on Steve Lyons Replacing Dave Campbell in MLB 13 The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #9
True Ace

Galvatron's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Steve Lyons replacing Dave Campbell in MLB 13 The Show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabster
Hopefully this is just the first indication that they intend to do a commentary overhaul. I'm sure we can all agree it's needed.
Total agreement here. I seriously hope they're not just handing him Campbell's lines either, and that he's in the recording studio TOGETHER with the others.

Last edited by Galvatron; 10-09-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

yea hopefully this is the first of getting all new commentary. Its just too old and stale now. It needs a change and i dont mean just one person. It needs to get a overhaul.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

If Matt is still doing the Show 13 (I would assume he still is), I hope they capture more of his emotions when he does a game. After hearing him in the recent playoff games they have not tapped anything near his commentating ability in the Show. Don't get me wrong he is good but I think Matt has a lot more to offer in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
MVP

bp4baseball's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
If Matt is still doing the Show 13 (I would assume he still is), I hope they capture more of his emotions when he does a game. After hearing him in the recent playoff games they have not tapped anything near his commentating ability in the Show. Don't get me wrong he is good but I think Matt has a lot more to offer in the game.
I agree, and I think the most important thing as another poster pointed out is the style of commentating. Just changing voices is a short term solution, because I believe it's the way that the announcers interact with each other that has the most potential to be improved. I have a feeling SCEA has (and probably has had for some years) a plan for changing the way the commentating is done, and we are beginning to see it rolled out.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

I noticed the playoffs commentary changed VERY LITTLE. I was very dissappointed in the lack of depth in the commentary changes for playoff games. Also the animations after winning playoffs series' lack some serious emotion. It literally looked stale and a whole lot less than the amount of "blood, sweat and tears" it took me to get there.

At least I wont have to hear another "Linda Ronstadt fastball....Blue Bayou" Everytime I hear that line.... I think does anyone who plays this game know that song or who the heck Linda Ronstadt is? Sadly I am guilty on both counts! And that song does suck BIG TIME.

Too bad today's superstars don't feel this way about the game...
Old 10-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

Nice, at the very least the commentary will feel somewhat fresh. Hopefully more bantering and back and forth is implemented this year, similar to NBA 2k's style. I hope they add some type of on field reporter aspect as well.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Lyons and Karros aren't exactly indistinguishable when it comes to their voices, but they will certainly sound very similar.

I'm good with the move, but they really need to focus on the programming algorithms behind the commentary more than anything else. The whole "talking from separate booths" seems like an outdated thing nowadays.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
Rookie

Simp's Arena

OVR: 4

I think this is a good move to inject some much needed freshness into the game but as others have stated, the biggest problem is not with WHO is reading the lines.

If they only plug Lyons into Campbell's spot with the same lines and all, the way Karros replaced Hudler, this will not be enough IMO.

Replacing a commentator is fine but what they really need to replace is the commentary SYSTEM. The way they play off each other, get some conversations going like 2k has. Change the code under the hood, don't just recycle the same lines.

If you have some studio time already set aside it's a good time to do it SCEA!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »