Home

FIFA 13: From Average Team to Contender

This is a discussion on FIFA 13: From Average Team to Contender within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
FIFA 13: From Average Team to Contender

When playing as an average club, you aren't Arsenal. So here's a guide how to manage your club.

It's no surprise that many players prefer playing with a medium or small club in FIFA 13's Manager Mode, rather than with one of the traditional big guns. The amount of challenges you face with a team that’s not named Manchester City/Manchester United/Barcelona/Real Madrid-- financial restrictions, less talented players-- make the mode a lot more fun to play. Of course, if you are used to playing with one of those said teams, managing a smaller club can seem challenging at first, trying to win and stay thrifty at the same time is not easy after all.

For those who may be struggling in FIFA 13’s Manager mode with an average team and a below average transfer kitty, here are some tips that may help you succeed.

Read More - FIFA 13: From Average Team to Contender
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Rookie

ajaxab's Arena

OVR: 6
Maybe others can comment on this, but does the game itself mitigate different styles of play? I've struggled to find a way to avoid playing a tiki-taka style, but can't find a camera angle that allows me to succeed with anything else. I would love to play a style that is a bit more expansive with short passes mixing with more switching of the ball, more long balls down the middle/wings and wingers who can beat fullbacks to get crosses in. However, I just don't feel I can play this style though given the camera angles I have to work with. Invariably, broadcast/tele seems to be the best one to use, but it encourages passes to players one can see. The players one can see are obviously only those in the frame. It's tough to glance at the radar and know whether or not your striker has a step on the defender or is making a trap beating run. So the end result is attempted tiki-taka no matter the team.

Of course, I could just be a horrible player (something entirely possible). Are there strategies/camera angles I'm missing that allow one to play different styles in this game?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
MVP

UK0wnag3's Arena

OVR: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxab
Maybe others can comment on this, but does the game itself mitigate different styles of play? I've struggled to find a way to avoid playing a tiki-taka style, but can't find a camera angle that allows me to succeed with anything else. I would love to play a style that is a bit more expansive with short passes mixing with more switching of the ball, more long balls down the middle/wings and wingers who can beat fullbacks to get crosses in. However, I just don't feel I can play this style though given the camera angles I have to work with. Invariably, broadcast/tele seems to be the best one to use, but it encourages passes to players one can see. The players one can see are obviously only those in the frame. It's tough to glance at the radar and know whether or not your striker has a step on the defender or is making a trap beating run. So the end result is attempted tiki-taka no matter the team.

Of course, I could just be a horrible player (something entirely possible). Are there strategies/camera angles I'm missing that allow one to play different styles in this game?
I agree with you to a certain extent. I feel like EA want every team to play like Barcelona and be completely ignorant of any other styles. But I do think FIFA 13 is slightly better than years previous, as target men seem to be more effective, and I've scored a few more goals on the counter attack as well.

FIFA 13, whether it was intended to or not, was a step in the right direction in this sense. But sometimes I do wonder whether EA are actually aware that teams in league 2 don't knock the ball around in 3 yard increments, but actually choose to play route one and hoof it into the big lad up top.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18
I play with mostly short passes and build up play. In fact, I rarely find myself using skill moves, mainly because I'm just not good at knowing which moves to use when and how to execute them properly...
Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 6
Just buy some pace players and you're set
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #6
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPound
Just buy some pace players and you're set
That's usually what I like to do. On last years game, I picked up Lukangu on loan from Chelsea. I haven't had much opportunity to play this year's game (my XBox is at home, but I'm going home for Thanksgiving, so some FIFA will definitely be on the agenda)... but I have a career mode going with Wolverhampton and adding a splash of speed is usually one of the first things I do
Old 11-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: FIFA 13: From Average Team to Contender

Fantastic idea (and execution) for an article, Chris, and great comments, too.

I'll add a few of my own thoughts later!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: FIFA 13: From Average Team to Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxab

cant really disagree with the camera issues. however this year i am finding the precision long ball deadly. it takes time to get used to how your teammates time their runs and how the defense picks it up. with the better competition in the game, it is game changing having that midfielder who can pinpoint that pass and get it there quickly.

all i can say is to keep trying it till you start to notice how the defense typically reacts. it is not full proof though because first touch on those passes are so important.

i really like this year's ai. the game is not perfect but this year was definitely a big step in that direction.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »