Home

EA Sports UFC Coming to Consoles & PC, Live Service Connects UFC Fans to Broadcasts

This is a discussion on EA Sports UFC Coming to Consoles & PC, Live Service Connects UFC Fans to Broadcasts within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
EA Sports UFC Coming to Consoles & PC, Live Service Connects UFC Fans to Broadcasts

EA Sports VP, Andrew Wilson, mentioned a few details about their upcoming UFC game, during a recent interview IGN. The article itself mostly talks about Cricket and FIFA, but there is a small nugget of UFC information mixed in.

It was a no brainer EA Sports UFC would arrive on consoles, but Andrew mentions that it will also be available on the PC, with a few features headed to mobile devices. They are also working on a live service, which connects UFC fans to actual broadcasts and pay-per-view events.

Quote:
“We took on the UFC this year, we signed that deal, Dana and I put that deal together. We’re very excited about that deal but the reality is, you know, right now I’m touring up not just one development team, I’m touring up a whole series of teams. The team that’s gonna build the core engine. The team that’s gonna build features for console, features for PC, features for mobile phone. The team that’s gonna run a live service that connects UFC fans to the broadcasts and the Pay-per-view events; connect you with what’s going on in the fight world. It’s a very big challenge for us, taking on new stuff.

Sound interesting to you? What would you like to see?
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
I'm really excited to see what EA comes up with this UFC license. Gameplay wise I felt that EA Sports MMA was better than the UFC series (not counting Undisputed 3). Sure the UFC games got more moves, game modes, in-game licenses, but EA's servers were years ahead of THQ's and the physics were better in terms of move impact, realism and plain polish.

If they manage to blend both styles of games into one they could have a really great product coming up and hopefully it doesn't turn into a yearly series. It would be a good idea to offer some sort of game pass that updates the attributes and adds fighters periodically, even new moves, tattoos, gear, etc. But that's most likely wishful thinking on my part LOL.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 12
I'm sure that I am in a bit of the minority, but I enjoy the offline career modes most in games. With that said, I really hope that they can make the career mode long and have meaning to it in the sense that you actually feel accomplished as you rise up through the ranks. In the previous UFC games, the Career mode was fun, but there were times it felt like everything was just rinse, lather, repeat. I doubt they would be able to incorporate TUF, but it would be a cool idea. At the least, starting it out on the local circuit fighting in armory's and on fairgrounds, then proceed from there to the ultimate goal of the UFC. Or even go the route of Fight Night and have a completely separate story based mode to accompany it.

I am sure that EA will be able to solve the server issues that have plagued the UFC series over the years, and hopefully incorporating the PPV events will help on that end as well. Sounds like they're off to a good start, but I'm hoping that they are able to make the most of the brand and it not go the EA route of "we have no competition, so you'll just have to take what we give you" that they have gone with Madden.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
PC! Oh ****. That is great especially if the modders get a hold of it. EA PC games in the past have been very easy to mod like Madden, Triple Play and Fifa. Picture accurate ads and sponsors, new clothing, accurate faces and tattoos. I'm excited.

Last edited by aholbert32; 11-28-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 39
Dang, the Fight Night producers are robbing the Fight Night fans Wishlist I sent them before Fight Night Champion was being made. This really is bad on so many levels. The PC version is going to sell well because of the modding factors. I always said the creation and modding community helps the longevity of a game and it's sells.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0
I'm not actually looking forward to it. I hope that they can deal with the audio side because the older UFC games nailed that. EA aren't very good at audio commentary. Plus, the terrible right stick controls are a turnoff. We'll see, but if it's anything like EA MMA, it'll be a rental at best.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5
The main benefit of EA MMA compared to THQ UFC was that it was harder to hit people in the head. This added so much to the gameplay, because unlike in THQ's games, it wasn't just block or get hit, you had accuracy for punches and kicks, and many stats which made the fighters feel just right.

Accuracy is the key in fighting games, especially with MMA, because you have a guy like Anderson Silva who never overpowers people with punches, but has a laser sight attached to his gloves, whereas you have the Phil Baronis of the world who have all the power in the world but don't land a great percentage of punches.

Cro Cop's kicking was not only powerful but accurate, and that's where EA MMA got the better of UFC. Different stats for accuracy and power is what made Pro Evo the king of foot ball when it first came out, and it worked for EA as well with MMA - it differentiates between powerful and deadly.

UFC3 is a cracking game with a massive roster, and if EA can deliver a game that matches it then we're in for a treat!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: EA Sports UFC Coming to Consoles & PC, Live Service Connects UFC Fans to Broadcas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

Sound interesting to you? What would you like to see?
In addition to a deep career mode, I would like to see a UFC Promoter/UFC Universe type mode. This would essentially be a similar to playing a 32 team franchise in Madden. I would like to have control of all of the fighters and have the choice to manually schedule fights or let the game do it for me. It would keep up with everyone's records, titles, awards, etc.

Also I would like the option to start it with the UFC in real time (through updates). Meaning if I start the mode today, then JDS is the Heavyweight Champ. Then if he gets beat my Cain and I start the mode after Cain will be the HW Champ. I hope that makes sense.

Lastly, I want to see a deep CAF system with Fighter Share (that includes move sets, tattoos, etc) and new fighters released via DLC. Even if it's paid DLC.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »