Home

EA Sports & NFL - Tracking Player Movement, Looking to Revolutionize Madden Ratings

This is a discussion on EA Sports & NFL - Tracking Player Movement, Looking to Revolutionize Madden Ratings within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: EA Sports & NFL - Tracking Player Movement, Looking to Revolutionize Madden Ratin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturzinator
That's some great news and bodes well for the future.

On the flip side, even the most useful information left in the bumbling hands of EA will most surely result in abject disappointment.

Here comes the hype for M14.....

And this sums up my feeling about this article as well lol.

By the way, great use of the word 'abject' - it has now become my 'Word of the Week' lol
Old 12-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
Rookie

DUDERMAN's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports & NFL - Tracking Player Movement, Looking to Revolutionize Madden Ratin

This is far less encouraging when you read the rest of the Article.

Quote:
"It sounds like a really exciting possibility," Donny Moore told Polygon over email. He also said he had not previously heard about the technology.
Quote:
But the NFL is currently tracking data only for "handfuls of players," according to CBS Sports, which wouldn't be nearly as useful for the Madden developers.
Quote:
It remains to be seen whether the NFL will expand the tracking program league-wide. And the initiative is in its infancy, so it would be a few years at least before the league might begin to provide data from it to third parties.

Eagles | Phillies | Flyers | Sixers
Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Everyone pretty much said what I was thinking. Tiburon has so many great tools and resources, but something always gets lost in translation with them. There's never a smooth transition implementing ANYTHING into Madden.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 0
"Sounds like an exciting possibility". EA hasn't thought about accurate player movement for the last 8 to 9 years. Come back and talk to me when the devs actually take the rocket skates off of their players and put the cleats back on em. I got excited when I saw "player movement" in the title. Had nothing to do with what I was thinking. That was a reach brother.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 16

Even with the most accurate and realistic ratings in the world, it'd still fail on the gameplay side without revamping the interaction of players, the AI, and footwork.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 30
"It remains to be seen whether the NFL will expand the tracking program league-wide. And the initiative is in its infancy, so it would be a few years at least before the league might begin to provide data from it to third parties."

That was the key info that caught me the most. Gunna take time, folks, so this means, at the earliest, next gen, IF the NFL starts handing this data over. I believe it will turn into an NBA Live DNA type situation after a while which is a good thing.
And I have little doubt that EA won't have the player movement, momentum, speed, inertia, IE and all that by then to go with this player rating stuff. Stakes will be higher for them next gen and will be even more paramount for them to get Madden right. Madden 13 showed great promise in certain aspects and tech will be better next gen for all game devs.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #15
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
"It remains to be seen whether the NFL will expand the tracking program league-wide. And the initiative is in its infancy, so it would be a few years at least before the league might begin to provide data from it to third parties."

That was the key info that caught me the most. Gunna take time, folks, so this means, at the earliest, next gen, IF the NFL starts handing this data over. I believe it will turn into an NBA Live DNA type situation after a while which is a good thing.
And I have little doubt that EA won't have the player movement, momentum, speed, inertia, IE and all that by then to go with this player rating stuff. Stakes will be higher for them next gen and will be even more paramount for them to get Madden right. Madden 13 showed great promise in certain aspects and tech will be better next gen for all game devs.
The stakes remain the same... how can you lose a hand when your the house and your making the rules. The time table for turnaround remains the same and will be used as a crutch once again for missing features. Anyone who is familiar with this franchise and it's production format know what to really expect. If it weren't for the exclusive license Madden would be facing the same fate as NBA Elite. Which is sad. It's been a paper champion this generation and will retain the title by default next gen.

It's going to take someone high up to say this is wrong let's stop F'n around and fix it because your starting to embarrass a once proud name.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

Saw the words player movement and got excited...must have forgot to read the "tracking" part. Thought this was gonna be about locomotion.

Bummer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »