Home

Motion Capture Next Week - What Dunks Do You Want in NBA 2K14?

This is a discussion on Motion Capture Next Week - What Dunks Do You Want in NBA 2K14? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Motion Capture next week - what dunks do you want in 2K14?

I think J.R. Smith has a specific style worth reflecting in 2K. Namely, he tends to jump off his right foot and dunk with his right hand (in contrast to most people jumping off their left foot for a righty jam. It makes Smith's dunks appear very unique.

Example:

Right foot, right hand alley oop example:

And Slava above me is right. Blake's been almost over-hanging on a lot of his two-hand dunks this year, allowing his full body to dangle before dropping a very short distance to the ground. I think it'd be nice to have some of those included in 2K:

I think I saw one of these types of animations in 2K before, but maybe once in all my playing the last two years. I think the "throw-in's" should receive some slight attention, because they're beginning to spread a little bit. Dwight Howard pulled it off in the dunk contest, Kevin Durant on Brendan Haywood, Blake Griffin on Perkins and Mozgov, and most recently Gerald Henderson:

I'd also really like to see more big man dropstep dunks where they pull the rim for a second on a one-hand slam. 2K has one-handers that break away the rim, but not really any one hand big man dunks with actual subtle brief grabs or pulls. Example:

I'd also like to see more two-hand, one-foot dunk animations. Some in 2K13 are very good, but they seem limited. There's one in particular that seems to happen very, very frequently and it also seems to trigger the Sprite replay. Many NBA players perform generic two-hand dunks off one foot with no-hang, so it'd be nice to see more versatility there. An example:

I think Gerald Green (and vintage Vince Carter) should have their windmill alley-oop represented in 2K:

Old 01-19-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

Would love to see you refine some of Jordan's dunks Plenty of footage in those two video's. One of my personal favorites is in the 1st one around the minute mark.

As couple mentioned before that ridiculous dunk by VC in the 2000 contest (then again all of his throwdowns were insane)

The Double Clutch and the "No Regard for Human Life" are also two of my favorites.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

If this motion capture idea is for us to think beyond the routine in this specific case, I'd request a true one-handed rock the cradle dunk. Right now, in 2K, there's a cradle, but I think it ends with a two-hand finish (not to be confused with a low-rising cradled dunk option). I'd like to see this, either for an MJ package or if I wanted to spice up JaVale a little bit:

A super full windmill:

For a "classic star" package?

I also think there should be dunks that represent players who can palm a ball without the need for a two-hand gather, maybe one for big men and one for guards.

Ex 1:

Ex 2:

Also, to go back to normal jams for a minute, it'd be nice to see some small guy alley-oop animations:

And maybe some sharper reverses, perhaps for non-breakaway situations:

Perhaps more two-hand hangs off one foot:

Finally, as a Vince Carter fan, I request his tomahawk signature, still live and active:

And if there's any chance of a classic Vince popping up at some point, I'd recommend peeking at VC's entire catalog.

Oh, one more. One hand hangs with authority:

Last edited by VDusen04; 02-05-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 4

Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #13
MVP

Rondo is GOD's Arena

OVR: 23

I would absolutely love to see a reckless abandonment style dunk package. Similar to Russel Westbrook and Derrick Rose's style. They move extremely easy in the air when coming into contact with bigger defenders but they always seem to get the dunk. Obviously it would be awesome to get some more of Blake Griffin's mind boggling dunks in but I feel like you'd see them too often.

But, these things are all best case scenarios for me. I really love all the dunk packages that you guys have put into 2K13. For that I applaud you guys. For you guys to even make a topic asking us what we what? Even more respect. You guys rock.
In this case the lasagna restaurant started selling candy to kids and that became the best revenue stream so they’ve let the lasagna get worse and focused on becoming a candy store. The problem is this restaurant bought the rights to make lasagna so if we want lasagna we can only go to this place.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #14
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5

Polish Jordan's dunk package - tons of examples in my video below. Also, give him two different packages - one for young/vintage MJ, and one for the second 3peat MJ.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choops4Life
Zach here from 2K. We have a great dunker coming in next week who can do just about anything. If you have dunks you're dying to see in 2K14 please post them. Obviously video reference is a plus.
First of all, pretty cool that you're involving the community in this!

1) I feel that there are enough flashy spectacular dunks already in the game. What I'd like to see is more variety in basic things, for example slight variations of gathering or arm postition on rim grazer dunks instead of guards catching the ball and taking 3-4 steps before dunking it.
So basically more variety on basic dunks.
The same with alley-oops. The current animations are pretty over the top, would be nice to get a solid package of simple dunks for that.

2) While it is nice to expand dunk animations, I think it's important to implement a better collision logic for the existing dunk packages. 2k11 was amazing in this regard. So adding content is great, but the game should handle the current features properly before that.

3) Don't want to annoy you, but since there's a dev on here...please don't focus on flashy dunks and presentation for 2k14, but also try to fix fundamental issues like the broken CPU-touches/playcalling logic (for years now, run CPU vs CPU and you'll see the game doesn't use even half the plays and in season/assoc touches don't matter at all ). I'm paying money every year for this game since the first 2k back on Dreamcast, and some things sadly never get fixed. Would be nice to see more focus on this instead.
Let us finally decide how the AI calls plays, that's how it's been advertised since introducing touches and 50 playbook slots. I've been buying 2k mainly for these offline features and feel kinda ripped off by advertising features that are not even working.

4) I assume you'll add a lot of dunks for 2k14, what I like to see is a difference between arcade/sim dunking. So if you add some more over the top stuff if people request it, an option to turn the NBA Jam stuff on/of would be great. So there are maybe a lot of Clippers fans who'd like hundreds of new Dunks for Griffin and that's fine. But please at least give us an option to turn off the arcade dunkfest if we want to. He's not the only 20/10 PF in the league, so I'd love to see the same focus on players that put up their numbers without flash and athleticism. David Lee should get the same attention as high-flying Blake.

But it's really nice that you're actually talking to the community, not many companies do that.

Last edited by mango_prom; 01-19-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

A DeAndre Jordan dunk package would be a good addition. He tends to quick jump off the floor, really extend his arms, and exaggerate his follow through.

Come to think of it, I think some general quick jump standing dunks would be good to have in the game. The kind of dunks that big men do who aren't trying to be fancy, but just want to get it in before the D comes. Duncan and Pau Gasol come to mind. Some of the standing dunks in the game are a bit slow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »