Home

THQ Dissolved, WWE License heading to 2K

This is a discussion on THQ Dissolved, WWE License heading to 2K within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
THQ Dissolved, WWE License heading to 2K

As of this afternoon, THQ as a company has been dissolved and all of it's licenses and properties have been auctioned off. We know where several prominent franchises and studios are going but we simply have no idea on where the WWE video games license has found as a home.

What we do know is that a new company will definitely be publishing WWE games starting immediately. The Twitterverse is abuzz with rumors that either of both EA and Take Two have bought the license -- and it would stand to reason that one side of the other is correct. The WWE was owed $45 million from THQ when the company went under, so most likely WWE will be looking for a stable and somewhat wealthier business partner this time around.

The status of a WWE game for 2013 will depend upon how the new publisher approaches WWE video games. If the publisher starts from scratch, there may not be another WWE game on the market for at least a year or two.

Requests for confirmation out of either EA or 2K have been returned with no comments as of this writing. I'll update this space as soon as any real news breaks.

Update #1: A formal court document shows that WWE's license was NOT auctioned off in the sale of THQ's assets. This tends to indicate WWE cancelled their licensing deal with THQ and has shopped or is shopping their property unilaterally.

Update #2: A source from 2K has confirmed that the company will be acquiring the WWE games license. IGN is also reporting this story on their site.
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Icon2 Re: THQ Dissolved, WWE License will be in new hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

As of this afternoon, THQ as a company has been dissolved and all of it's licenses and properties have been auctioned off. We know where several prominent franchises and studios are going but we simply have no idea on where the WWE video games license has found as a home.

What we do know is that a new company will definitely be publishing WWE higames starting immediately. The Twitterverse is abuzz with rumors that either of both EA and Take Two have bought the license -- and it would stand to reason that one side of the other is correct. The WWE was owed $45 million from THQ when the company went under, so most likely WWE will be looking for a stable and somewhat wealthier business partner this time around.

The status of a WWE game for 2013 will depend upon how the new publisher approaches WWE video games. If the publisher starts from scratch, there may not be another WWE game on the market for at least a year or two.

Requests for confirmation out of either EA or 2K have been returned with no comments as of this writing. I'll update this space as soon as any real news breaks.

Update #1: A formal court document shows that WWE was NOT auctioned off today. This tends to indicate WWE cancelled their licensing deal with THQ and shopped their property themselves.
It looks like Take 2 / 2K are just crossing the T's and dotting the I's
Old 01-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: THQ Dissolved, WWE License will be in new hands

I am excited Take 2 is gonna get this. I don't trust EA to make a quality game. I am sure I'm not alone.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 12
Maybe they'll be able to take the MyPlayer/Career a different route. I think it would be cool to do the route where you start out as a nobody wrestler and work up, much like the UFC games. Just my little wish, however. I'm excited for the fresh start for the WWE franchising from a gaming standpoint.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6
Hopefully they get rid of Yukes and bring in syn Sophia (AKI = WWF No Mercy) to make WWE games great again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
I'm interested to see what 2k does with this. I've loved the last 2 games, i hope 2k can deliver.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: THQ Dissolved, WWE License heading to 2K

Finally a reason to be optimistic about wrestling gaming again.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: THQ Dissolved, WWE License heading to 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFan
Hopefully they get rid of Yukes and bring in syn Sophia (AKI = WWF No Mercy) to make WWE games great again.
The question is though, how many people that worked on WWF No Mercy are still with syn Sophia?

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »