Home

MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99 within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #97
MVP

Shaffer26's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Never understood the uproar over ratings. If you don't agree with them then change them! Be glad you can still edit players, unlike in Madden.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #98
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Russell, can you explain this one for me please....

How is his Actual Speed greater than his Potential Speed?
Attached Images
File Type: png speed.png (225.5 KB, 184 views)
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #99
MVP

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
player skill are something we estimate from watching them play
I heard the only athletes left on Earth who are judged by watching them play are offensive linemen. The rest are done with ratings extrapolated from statistics.

Dude, it's 2013. Number ratings are where it is at.

You can do a lot with number ratings. Divide an overall by an expected salary and there you have a value.

17 99s could also be meaningless because it's a number derived from an algorithm. It may mean nothing to how the games are played on the field.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #100
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
Russell, can you explain this one for me please....

How is his Actual Speed greater than his Potential Speed?
That's actually a really good sign. Players lose speed as they get older, and a 1st baseman whose goal is to get bigger and stronger will lose his speed fairly quickly.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #101
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
That's actually a really good sign. Players lose speed as they get older, and a 1st baseman whose goal is to get bigger and stronger will lose his speed fairly quickly.

OK? Im not sure I understand.

In this example, he is 18 y/o. His PS is 15.
If thats his potential, which to me means the highest he'll ever achieve, how is his AS 27?
How does that work?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #102
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRandomEtc
Numbers are a way better rating system than bars. Obviously, people don't like the ratings, which is fair. The Show has always been god-awful at rating players. But at least we don't have to deal with the bar system anymore.
Why do you post your opinion like it's a fact ?

Yea, it was so difficult dealing with the bar system.. ?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #103
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
OK? Im not sure I understand.

In this example, he is 18 y/o. His PS is 15.
If thats his potential, which to me means the highest he'll ever achieve, how is his AS 27?
How does that work?
Isn't it pretty self-explanatory? Obviously it means his speed will regress...

By saying it was a good sign I was referring to the potential system, not the fact that his speed will regress... Regression in some attributes is good, that means the system is closer to mirroring what actually happens in real life.

Last edited by seanjeezy; 02-12-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #104
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete
I heard the only athletes left on Earth who are judged by watching them play are offensive linemen. The rest are done with ratings extrapolated from statistics.

Dude, it's 2013. Number ratings are where it is at.

You can do a lot with number ratings. Divide an overall by an expected salary and there you have a value.

17 99s could also be meaningless because it's a number derived from an algorithm. It may mean nothing to how the games are played on the field.

No, it's not quite the same thing to say that a player can be rated numerically and that a player's true skill can be rated at all. As anyone who deals with statistics in life knows, all such activities come up with *estimates* of what the numbers should represent.

I have no issues with MLB scout using 20 - 80 scale to rate players.

But I have an issue with exposing player ratings in a game like this, only because that's actually the true skill of the player. A Contact = 66 player should hit .255 on average, since the game is actually tuned precisely to produce such a player.

Unless I'm doing editing, I really don't want to know that much detail about a player. It takes fun away from me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »