Home

MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99 within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #129
Rookie

keymax's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
I just think tha a lot of people are not really getting the concept of the overall rating. Let me try to reiterate it in another way and maybe 1 or 2 people (that's probably it) will get it and stop with the absurdity.

Miguel Cabrera is atrocious when he is manning 3B. If anyone not named Konerko can drag a decent bunt in his direction, he'll probably get on base. He is also one of the best hitters in the game. Somebody who plays terrific defense is more valuable to a baseball team up the middle and Cabrera types are more valuable providing offense and getting less balls hit in their direction.

The overall potential just tries to reflect that. That's it. I'm sure that you can find some darn good parts for your team if you don't focus on the overall strictly.
Exactly. Just remember everyone that we had the overall bar in previous versions too and it actually means very little.
For example Rollins and Victorino had the equivalent of a 99(or close to that(rating but as hitters they were average at best. JJ Hardy is one of the best hitters at SS in the game and a sound defender he just lacks speed that drags down his overall rating. I would take Hardy over Rollins any day of the week on my team.

So the OVR rating is pretty much meaningless without looking into other attributes. It's just an arbitrary number assigned to specific attributes the game deems important for a position.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #130
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Or the scout's report is wrong there is human element in scouting now.
Not to mention some people's responses.

Last edited by Curahee; 02-13-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #131
Banned

OVR: 25
Just edit the players yourself if you feel the ratings are inflated. By the time I get my hands on this gem, there will only be 2 99s in the game....ability to edit ratings in or out of franchise mode is priceless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #132
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

You guys won't have to edit players.

Don't get hung up on the OVR rating(Dear Lord why did they listen to the masses on this one?).....it doesn't indicate that a player is necessarily a 99 in even one attribute...just that the sum of his parts at this position makes him elite at that time.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #133
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
You guys won't have to edit players.

Don't get hung up on the OVR rating(Dear Lord why did they listen to the masses on this one?).....it doesn't indicate that a player is necessarily a 99 in even one attribute...just that the sum of his parts at this position makes him elite at that time.

M.K.
Knight165

Quoted for emphasis...

YouTube

Old 02-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #134
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
(Dear Lord why did they listen to the masses on this one?)
Sheep, brother. Sheep!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #135
MVP

OVR: 32
I love seeing Altuve rated 90 ... Russell, besides you and me, i think we are the only Stros fans on the planet - and I live here in H. lol. (I do wonder how in the world he's rated 90 though )
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #136
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Or the scout's report is wrong there is human element in scouting now.
Lol yeah, that too.

So speed doesn't regress at all? It's pretty common for a player to lose speed the second he's introduced to a professional strength and conditioning plan, especially if the player plays an offensive-minded position. It would be a nice touch if something like this was incorporated into the game...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »